Strangers with Candy

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 04:40:35 PM

godardian

The team of Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello, and Stephen Colbert (who you can also catch as a reporter on The Daily Show) recently published their new book, Wigfield. As I recklessly sped on over to the University Bookstore to purchase it, I wondered:

-Was their TV show, Strangers with Candy, not one of the most consistently hysterical programs ever? Strangers with Candy made The Man Show look like Three's Company.

-Then why the hell did they cancel it?

-And why the fuck hasn't Comedy Central at least given us a good DVD set?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Hilarious show.  Almost as good as Upright Citizens Brigade.

And I think a DVD set was announced not too long ago
I like to hug dogs

godardian

*gasp!* Do you have any details? Do you remember where you heard this?

Yeah, I really liked Upright Citizens Brigade, too. Used to come on right after SWC.  Made for a sidesplitting hour of TV.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sleuth

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember where I heard this, but I'm fairly positive that I'm not lying to myself to make the future seem better than it should be
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

["Strangers With Candy" Season One DVD Details]
The official release date for the Season One DVD will be June 17, 2003. The double disc set of 10 episodes will also include the original unaired pilot, 15 minutes of outtakes, deleted scenes, and tributes. There's commentary by Paul Dinello, Amy Sedaris, and Stephen Colbert on four of the episodes! Unfortunately, at this point there are no plans on issuing the 2 following seasons. They might appear on a "best of" DVD in the future.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Good for starters and better than nothing... I can hardly wait! This is actuall exciting news.

godardian

We will get to hear Jerri Blank say, "If I don't graduate by the time I'm fifty, I'll be tha laughingstock of Flatpoint High!!"

But we won't get to see her join and implode a cult over two episodes.  :x

RegularKarate

I like Amy Sedaris (though I prefer her brother, David) and Steven Colbert individually, I thought Strangers with Candy was pretty boring... I think maybe it tried to hard... just seemed like a really long MadTV skit.

godardian

I prefer Amy, though they're both fantastic...

I could never be bored by SWC. I thought every episode had more than its share of laughs... and I love how it was sort of its own self-contained world. MadTV is all parodies of stuff. SWC was, of course, a parody of after-school specials, which worked for a while, but to me what really makes it great is that it's like Seinfeld times a zillion- people whose instinct for self-preservation obliterates everything else. I think Jerri Blank and Homer Simpson are of a piece.

Victor

David Sedaris is crimminally funny. Me Talk Pretty One Day (the first half especially) is hilarious. And yeah Strangers With Candy was totally underrated, I cant wait for dvd.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Keener

That and The League of Gentlemen were two of my favorite shows. God, I hate Comedy Central's audience.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

bonanzataz

I laughed my ass of reading some of the shit in Barrel Fever. I just got Naked, I have to start reading that.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

z?uffin"]["Strangers With Candy" Season One DVD Details]
The official release date for the Season One DVD will be June 17, 2003. The double disc set of 10 episodes will also include the original unaired pilot, 15 minutes of outtakes, deleted scenes, and tributes. There's commentary by Paul Dinello, Amy Sedaris, and Stephen Colbert on four of the episodes! Unfortunately, at this point there are no plans on issuing the 2 following seasons. They might appear on a "best of" DVD in the future.[/quote]

I checked DVDPlanet and amazon and didn't find this... is it from the Comedy Central website, maybe? If not, where? Thanks.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianz?uffin"][
that's the most screwed up quote i've ever seen.

in related news, amy sedaris is good when she's on letterman.. david's funnier tho, generally, says i.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ?0@rd!&nis it from the Comedy Central website, maybe? If not, where? Thanks.

http://www.jerriblank.com/swcnews.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks