The Ring Two

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2004, 08:14:43 PM

MacGuffin

Third Ring a Prequel?
Director Nakata is up for it.

According to iF Magazine, Ring 3 is almost a sure thing. Writer Ehren Kruger, who penned the screenplay for Ring Two, said he might be involved with a new Ring movie if one goes ahead.

"There will be one if [the public] want one, if you know what I mean – democracy in action. I don't know if I'd be involved. I suspect the story would be radically different from 1 or 2, but I suspect Samara would be in it."

Meanwhile, Japanese director Hideo Nakata is also hopeful about making another Hollywood Ring film. He told the Chicago Sun-Times that the next film will most likely be a prequel, following a similar story to the Japanese Ring prequel that Nakata also made.

"In Japan, I directed a Ring prequel called Ring Zero. It's about how the little girl [Samara] was killed at age 8.

"I wouldn't be surprised if there was another one. I'd love to do Ring Three."

What it really comes down to in Hollywood, of course, is the bottom line. Ring Two got off to a good start over the weekend with a $35 million haul. It's somewhat less than the $40 million that industry experts were predicting, however. And with largely unfavorable reviews, the movie is unlikely to enjoy the long-term word-of-mouth success that made the first Ring such a hit.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

The public does not want one. trust me, I asked.

Dtm115300

This movies was awful. People were laughing throughout the theater the whole movie. Save money don't see it.

modage

this was an abomination.  just AWFUL.  AWFUL.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modagei can't believe the script was written by the same guy who wrote the first one.  what the hell was he thinking?

I also think the choice of director had a hand in this too.

*Some Minor Spoilers*

While I didn't think it was Jeepers Creepers horrible, it was a huge disappointment since I'm a BIG fan of the first one. What's wrong here is that the film does away with the videotape. This loses all the creepiness and mystery that made the first one so great. Instead, they should have called it The Ring Two: This Time It's Personal, because it's a basic revenge story with no scares, suspense or creeps. For example, in the opening, we all know the myth of the videotape, so why should I feel scared for a character who hasn't watched the tape yet? It's a cheap scare that doesn't work knowing what we know from the first film. The story does nothing to let the audience in on what is going on, and instead we are asking, "Why is this happening?" (The deers were way out of left field and was a complete WTF scene) The explanation comes in a cheap way out - a dialogue exposition explanation. In the first one, Rachel investigates the myth and thus lets us follow along in the mystery and putting the clues together, but here there's no interaction for the audience. There's a lot of convience for her character; there just happens to be no one in the ambulance, cops just happen to walk away from the girl she wants to talk to, a key to the house just happens to be in a rock, etc. To make matters worse, she's reduced to another damsel in distress.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
..and the xixax faithful have never let me down [yet].....

Quote from: pubrickif u really believe that u shouldn't hav rented the ring 2, and u should see kungfu hustle.

i rented it to make sure that my above statement is true..

and...
it..
was!

thsi movie sucks...i wasted four dollars.the gheyest thing was the deer scene......why?

Pubrick

Quote from: name deleted by modageThere's a lot of convience for her character; there just happens to be no one in the ambulance, cops just happen to walk away from the girl she wants to talk to, a key to the house just happens to be in a rock, etc. To make matters worse, she's reduced to another damsel in distress.
seriously. and what the hell happened to Gary Cole? he was showing her the house and then disappeared as soon as she wanted to snoop around.
under the paving stones.