Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Tictacbk

although at times I respect eberts reviews, there are certain directors of which he will always review well.  Kevin Smith is definetly one of those directors.  Ebert high-lights Smith's keen use of stupid movie cliche's,   c'mon thats a stretch...

modage

so, banky & shaftr, whats the verdict?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02so, banky & shaftr, whats the verdict?

The film definitely has it's moments.  Anytime something like this is made it's a careful balance between heart and sentimentality.  I would say that most of the time, the heart wins out.  There are a few scenes though (Ollie's talk with the baby) where it gets sentimental.  It's interesting to see the two father/child dynamics.  The supporting cast is good, and I think Affleck handles his role well.  I think the film looked good visually, nothing spectacular but it looks good.  There is one stylistic touch at the very end that I think works.

This is a new step for Smith, and although flawed it's still a step. Overall, I liked it and I would see it again.  Strangely, the film has grown on me more since seeing it.  I went into it very critical (after everything I heard) so I have this conflict of fanboy vs film critic inside of me.

I would say go see it, it's definitely worth the money.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

i saw it last tuesday, my review is on the previous page.  glad you liked it somewhat?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Saw this yesterday. It was OK, kinda mushy, but cute.

cine

I find it funny that Banky has yet to post about it.

Finn

I really liked it. It's full of cliches and it's predictable, but I was okay with that. Kevin Smith does a really nice job with the relationships and the dialouge.

Does anybody have a soundtrack listing of the movie?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Banky

i wasnt gonna post a review but moderange convinced me otherwise so here is my review in the form of a pm i sent to modernage

"I saw it for the first time on Friday at 1. I wanted to go early in the afternoon because i didnt want some fucking middle school kids on thier cell phones ruining the experience of me seeing it for the first time. Going into i had a lot of expectation and so much fucking thought. I mean ive been reading about and discussing this movie ever since pre-production a long ass time ago. After seeing it i enjoyed it but i didnt really experience it. I dont know it was kinda surreal. It was like all my thoughts beforehand bogged down my thought process while watching it. When i left the theatre i just really wanted to see it again because i needed another viewing to try and allow my self to just watch it as a movie and not as this huge deal that i had been waiting for, discussing, defending, ect., ect.
So i went to a 945 tonight and i really dug it. I allowed myself to just watch it as if it were anyother thing that comes and goes in the theatre. Everything stood out to me more and i really heard Smith's voice in the movie. I laughed a lot and was really touched to. I mean the part where Ollie yells that statment at his daughter was fucking powerful. You could here a pen drop as the air got sucked out of the theatre i was in. I also was really touched by what Carlin had to say at the end. I still had some problems with it like anyother movie and it was not perfect. The only person capable of creating a perfect movie is Crowe but that is besides the point. So yeah i really enjoyed it and thought that as far as directing it was definantly Kevins best and the movie did have some great looking shots courtesy of the D.P. I really dont think ill post my opinion in the Jersey Girl thread because i really am over trying to defend Kevin or the movie and the last thing i want to do is get bashed anymore for my opinions (not just on XIXAX but in general.) I dont know where this will fall in my rankings of his movies. I think my experience with the DVD will tell that becuase i have grown to love all of his work throught the medium of DVD. So i have no problem sharing my views with you and maybe i will eventually say something in the Jersey Girl thread but for now i would rather just listen.

Banky"

also some words from Kevin about the opening box office

Miramax was estimating seven million on Friday, so that's a big plus. Nine would've been incredible, but 8.3 is just great.
"Scooby" is just a juggernaut, and we were never gonna beat Hanks (who hasn't NOT opened a flick since the "Joe Vs. The Volcano" era). "The Christ" still reigns, and hiz undead pals from "Dawn of the Dead" still had legs (even after a sixty percent drop). Settling in at a cozy number five with the third best per screen in the top ten is just dandy - considering the uphill battle we've had on this flick.

We were certainly up against it with the whole Bennifer thing (ironically, we've out-grossed the entire theatrical run of "Gigli" in our first weekend), so 8.3 on 1500 screens is actually something of a minor miracle.

Hopefully, we get the bump-up of screens next weekend, and our word-of-mouth is strong enough to keep us alive in week two, when the Rock walks "Tall" and "Hellboy" punches cars.

All's well. No complaints here.

But next weekend will REALLY tell the tale.

Thanks again, all for heading out there this weekend. Thanks for your continued support.

Off to breakfast with Mosier now, to celebrate.

NEON MERCURY

banky ........glad to see  you weren't let down......

::glances at the coen faithfull::

Alethia

Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: Bankyhttp://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-jersey26f.html

3 and 1/2 stars! wow

Keep in mind, Ebert is a fat slob who's prolly spending more time at the theatre focused on his xtra large, xtra buttered popcorn than the actual movie itself...

come on man, what the fuck?

bonanzataz

the only smith movie i've ever seen in the theaters is jay and silent bob. i own all of his movies, i just don't think they're the kinds you have to see in theaters. this movie will do MUCH MUCH better on dvd, where smith makes all of his money.

i'll see this next weekend if i have time. right now i still have to see eternal sunshine and then dawn of the dead. this is number three on my list, the passion is number four, but i doubt i'll ever get around to seeing the passion.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

Quote from: eward
Quote from: billybrownKeep in mind, Ebert is a fat slob who's prolly spending more time at the theatre focused on his xtra large, xtra buttered popcorn than the actual movie itself...
eward, don't worry about it. billybrown has had a hard on for Ebert ever since he trashed Gallo's Brown Bunny. So now he talks like Gallo and thinks it's cool or something. Just leave him be and let him think people care.

billybrown

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: eward
Quote from: billybrownKeep in mind, Ebert is a fat slob who's prolly spending more time at the theatre focused on his xtra large, xtra buttered popcorn than the actual movie itself...
eward, don't worry about it. billybrown has had a hard on for Ebert ever since he trashed Gallo's Brown Bunny. So now he talks like Gallo and thinks it's cool or something. Just leave him be and let him think people care.

First off, Eward, the Ebert thing was a joke, so get over it. Christ. And nevermind the fact that he is one of the MOST overrated film critics of all-time. To Cinevile, you're a numb nut, not much else to really say there.

cine

Quote from: billybrownTo Cinevile, you're a numb nut, not much else to really say there.
Cinevile and numb nut. Wow, who writes this priceless material for you? Send his or her contact my way and pronto! I need fresh stuff like this.

Before you decide to call me Cinevile(and again, wow! nice one!), do us all a favour change your avatar. When that joke had ANY potential to be funny to the odd person who cared, it was in 2003. It's old, pal. Lose it. No one likes it.

Enjoy your day, billybrown.

billybrown

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: billybrownTo Cinevile, you're a numb nut, not much else to really say there.
Cinevile and numb nut. Wow, who writes this priceless material for you? Send his or her contact my way and pronto! I need fresh stuff like this.

Before you decide to call me Cinevile(and again, wow! nice one!), do us all a favour change your avatar. When that joke had ANY potential to be funny to the odd person who cared, it was in 2003. It's old, pal. Lose it. No one likes it.

Enjoy your day, billybrown.

The Gospel according to Numb Nut has been spoken... all hail Cinevile and his "brilliant" avatar. You are soo cutting edge it's scary. I'm in Ontario too, hopefully your in TO so I can bitch slap some sense into you. It's weird, cuz by and large there is a great community of film enthusiasts here, but you're such an epic twat, it blows the mind. At first it was mere speculation you were a dildo, now it's confirmed. You're dismissed. Now run along to whatever it is you do. My guess, "Sir, would you like to upsize your combo?"