The Road

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:58 PM

MacGuffin

Put a fork in 'The Road'
Source: Los Angeles Times

"The Road," which has been the subject of incredible fascination in the blogosphere in recent weeks, is finally, officially, absolutely, definitely moving its release to 2009. The feature adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize- winning novel, which stars Viggo Mortensen, will have to wait another year for any possible Oscar plaudits. Dimension Films, which is releasing the picture, originally had the film scheduled for this November, but its filmmaking team has made it clear that the movie just isn't ready for release.

Its producers, 2929 Productions chief Marc Butan and producer Nick Wechsler, said today that "we know the release of 'The Road' is eagerly anticipated by millions of fans who love the book as well as many others. The film simply won't be ready in time to release in 2008. Depicting McCarthy's post-apocalyptic tale involves an incredible amount of visual effects and we want to make sure to give this beautiful movie the time it needs to be perfected."

Apparently the producers have more clout with the Weinstein brothers than the filmmakers behind "The Reader," who also said their film wasn't ready for release but were bulldozed into agreeing to a late 2008 release date, prompting producer Scott Rudin to quit the film in protest. The departure of "The Road" from 2008 further thins out the field of potential Oscar contenders, leaving "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" as the reigning early favorite for best picture glory.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

I love how the LA Times assumes not a single movie worthy of best picture has come out in the past 10 months.

wait...maybe one hasn't!!!???
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Convael

Quote from: squints on October 23, 2008, 11:02:40 AM
I love how the LA Times assumes not a single movie worthy of best picture has come out in the past 10 months.

wait...maybe one hasn't!!!???
I don't think I've seen one...  So if it's not coming out this year we probably can't expect it until late 2009 right?  Since releasing a movie earlier than Fall is pretty much Oscar-suicide ala Zodiac correct.....?

Stefen

Omar is in this motherfucker. OMAR!

God, this is going to be amazing. Everything I've seen visually of this film (albeit, not much) is exactly how I envisioned it when I was reading the book.

My only fear is that I'll have to wait until Winter 2009.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

i saw this movie last night...

just kidding.  sorry to post this in here.  is there a Cormac only thread?  i thought it might interest some and was wondering if Ghostboy or anyone was planning on going to view the archives.

http://www.ua.txstate.edu/UA-departments/Hillviews_SS_08/features_ss_08/contentParagraph/08/document/HV_SS08_McCarthy.pdf

JG

thats pretty amazing that some of his books originated as screenplays. thats new information, right? i was recently telling a friend that reading mccarthy has improved my screenwriting, i think this gives that some credence.

Pwaybloe

Ted Rall mentions the novel in a critical light in reference to Oprah's Book Club:

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/19794

private witt

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 22, 2008, 12:15:24 AM
The film simply won't be ready in time to release in 2008. Depicting McCarthy's post-apocalyptic tale involves an incredible amount of visual effects and we want to make sure to give this beautiful movie the time it needs to be perfected."

Sounds like bullshit to me.  Wasn't the whole pitch we've been hearing for the last god knows how long that this film was being made with very little post effects?  That the realism was going to be the driving force here?  There's certainly something not right, but I doubt it's more time being needed for 'visual effects'.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

private witt

All of those are very beautiful digi production stills, but I would still love to know why The Road can't get the show on the....well, you know..............
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

matt35mm

That last picture is well devestating.

Pozer

BBC discusses The Road. some of Nick Cave's soundtrack involved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7898000/7898685.stm

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Is that a good time to release this? Doesn't that release date just mean they have no hope of it being an award contender and are just looking to dump it? I thought something like this would come out wide on Christmas or around there. Isn't October dumping ground?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on May 01, 2009, 10:17:59 AM
Is that a good time to release this? Doesn't that release date just mean they have no hope of it being an award contender and are just looking to dump it? I thought something like this would come out wide on Christmas or around there. Isn't October dumping ground?

No, October is already good. The Departed came out in October, for example.