Whatever Works

Started by MacGuffin, February 02, 2009, 05:12:14 PM

MacGuffin

SPC goes with 'Whatever Works'
Picks up U.S. rights to Woody Allen's comedy
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Sony Pictures Classics is reteaming with Woody Allen, buying U.S. rights to the director's latest comedy, "Whatever Works."

Ed Begley Jr., Patricia Clarkson, Larry David and Evan Rachel Wood star in the picture, which involves a relationship between an older man and younger woman and the entanglements the man has with the woman's parents.

The New York-set movie marks a return for Allen to his home turf after a group of pictures shot across the Atlantic, including recent Oscar nominee "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

SPC is planning on a summer release. The deal marks a reunion for the distrib and Allen, who teamed up 10 years ago for the music-themed Oscar nominee "Sweet & Lowdown."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's 'Whatever' opening Tribeca
Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood star in director's latest
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Woody Allen's "Whatever Works" will open the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival.

Allen's latest film, and the first that he has filmed in New York in four years, will raise the curtain on the fest on April 22.

"Works," starring Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson and Ed Begley Jr., will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in the summer.

"I fell in love with New York through Woody Allen's movies, and I am excited we are opening this year's festival with Sony Pictures Classics for the world premiere of Woody's 'Whatever Works,' " Tribeca Film Festival co-founder Jane Rosenthal said. " 'Whatever Works' is a uniquely funny addition to his body of work."

Allen called his film's selection "a lovely idea ... showing my film in a film festival in my own city. It's very exciting."

The fest is set to run April 22-May 3.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

:shock:

i do not enjoy looking at that.

Kal

is that the curb your enthusiasm movie? wtf

Stefen

That's the perfect poster for a movie starring Larry David. Is he supposed to look more charismatic? More badass?

It's Larry fucking David.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I like it. Reminds me of some of Woody Allen's posters from the 70s where the films were more driven by his personality quirks.

hedwig

LD is saying "what hump?"

john

This is a fine enough poster.

It illustrates it's most obvious selling points (Larry David! In a movie you can pay to go see! Look at that shrug... he's neurotic!)

Having not seen the film, obviously, I can't comment on whether it's an accurate representation of the film itself... but I imagine it isn't doing it much of a disservice.

And, if anyone has a beef with them hiding Woody Allen's involvement... studios have been doing that for a while now.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

©brad

They definitely took that title to heart when they designed it.

pete

Quote from: ©brad on May 07, 2009, 06:10:55 AM

:bravo:
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: ©brad on May 07, 2009, 06:10:55 AM

haha
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

This looks and sounds good....could possibly be Woody's best comedy hopeful in a long time
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection