House Of Sand And Fog

Started by MacGuffin, December 15, 2003, 05:06:31 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 19th, 2003 (LA/NY); December 26th, 2003 (expands to 500-600 theaters in select cities)

Cast: Jennifer Connelly (Kathy Nicolo), Ben Kingsley (Colonel Massoud Amir Behrani), Ron Eldard (Deputy Lester Burdon), Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jonathan Ahdout, Kim Dickens, Andre Dubus III (cameo), Frances Fisher (Connie Walsh), Carlos Gomez

Director: Vadim Perelman (feature debut; he's been directing TV commercials since the early 1990s)

Screenwriter: Shawn Lawrence Otto (first draft); rewrite by Vadim Perelman (feature film debuts)

Premise: When her husband leaves her abruptly, an alcoholic woman, Kathy Nicolo (Connelly), unable to keep up with the paperwork finds her house in the hills of California seized in foreclosure by sheriff deputies (including one that she becomes romantically involved with, played by Eldard), and put up for public auction. It's quickly bought by an exiled Iranian air force colonel (Kingsley), who sees it as the dream home for his family now that they've become American citizens. Now, Nicolo is obsessed with getting the house back, regardless of what she has to do. Which side will win this tug-of-war over a place to call home?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

for some reason, i just can't see myself caring about a house.  im sure, though, that the acting will be amazing.

Ghostboy

I really dislike this trailer. I'm hoping the movie is good, but a friend of mine who saw it said it's way too melodramatic.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Ghostboybut a friend of mine who saw it said it's way too melodramatic.

That's probably accurate, since this looks like a ridiculous inflation of a 5-minute short.

©brad

the title ain't helping either. it sounds like one of those made up movies on seinfeld, like roushelle, roushelle... haha.

Finn

Ebert & Roeper really loved it. I looks like it'll be along the lines of "In the Bedroom". Which is a good thing.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Kal

I remember seeing this in the theatre and it was really cool and well done but when it ended I though: this shit is all about the fucking house? I really didnt understand that very well... but maybe its a good movie who knows...

Ghostboy

Quote from: SydneyEbert & Roeper really loved it. I looks like it'll be along the lines of "In the Bedroom". Which is a good thing.

It's written by Andres Dubus II, the son of the guy who wrote In The Bedroom.

cine

Now I'm definitely seeing this.

Pubrick

without watching the trailer/tool-of-the-devil, i just know this will be A GREAT ROLE FOR BEN KINGSLEY.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

isn't this suppose to be like "Ransom"..but instead of a kid being taken away its a house??????

Jake_82

What the hell is with Jennifer Connely on a dock in like every movie she makes  :?:
your reality is at the end of your dream

Finn

I thought the same thing. Ever since Requiem, she's at the end of a dock with her hair blowing. I guess she just looks good that way.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cine

She likely has it in her contract that she MUST be on a dock at least once in a film. "I look good on a dock. So put me on a dock."

Pubrick

it's like john cusack in the rain.
under the paving stones.