Triplets of Belleville - How Fucking Cool Does This Look?!!

Started by SoNowThen, November 16, 2003, 08:08:10 PM

Big Dave

Three Words.

Best. Animation. Ever.

Trust me. I'm doing a BA in Animation.
Rests his head on a pillow made of concrete

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Frederic Back is really fucking awesome. Here in Quebec, you watch his classic "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" each and every year at school. It's really an inspiring movie.

Les Triplettes is definietly really good too and will become a classic no doubt about it.

GoneSavage

QuoteBest. Animation. Ever.

Trust me. I'm doing a BA in Animation.

pete

Quote from: Pas RapportFrederic Back is really fucking awesome. Here in Quebec, you watch his classic "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" each and every year at school. It's really an inspiring movie.

Les Triplettes is definietly really good too and will become a classic no doubt about it.

yeah!  another back fan.  The Canadian Film Board are pretty cool, they keep on funding really good animations.
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas RapportFrederic Back is really fucking awesome. Here in Quebec, you watch his classic "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" each and every year at school. It's really an inspiring movie.

pfft, i don't believe u. what are ur qualifications?
under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

I just saw Triplets of Belleville today and loved it. And yes P, there is an animated-nipple factor.

RegularKarate

What a great film...

very classic style... the way cartoons used to be.

SoNowThen

Hehehe, animation -- the one thing we seem to do well here in Canada.

Have you seen the old Logrider animated short, Pas? It's a classic...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Saw it and loved it, but no way could I review this film. I couldn't even describe it. Just so so so much imagaination and a great environment created in this film. I will say this, I was more reminded of the great russian animation I see on IFC every now and then before Jacques Tati. I did see a Jacques Tati spirit, but I kept thinking about the russian animation more.

pete

you better have seen that tati spirit man, 'cause chotmet himself cited tati as his major influence growing up.
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

I noticed a poster in the Belleville home for 'Les Vacances de M Hulot' which I found pretty cool.

Pas

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Pas RapportFrederic Back is really fucking awesome. Here in Quebec, you watch his classic "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" ...

Have you seen the old Logrider animated short, Pas? It's a classic...

Yes, I think we're talking about the same one here :-) I love it.

snaporaz

someone wanna tell me exactly why this movie's so great. i still haven't seen it, but i'm somewhat interested in it. but seriously, why's everyone psyched-out about it, besides the "incredible" animation and the apparent "funny parts"?

i know, it seems to be something totally different from anything in recent memory, but i've yet to hear anyone say anything good about it, besides the broad scope of the film.

ono

That's just it - I doubt they can.  It's probably something you have to see for yourself because of its odd nature.  From what I've heard, it has little (no?) dialogue, a great score, and unique animation.  Use your imagination.  It's playing in my town now, so hopefully I'll get to see it sometime in the week.  I expect great things from it, especially because it's so unique-sounding.  You should check it out for yourself, too.  It's not often something this original comes along.