Inception

Started by modage, August 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM

matt35mm

The score is very close to The Dark Knight's.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on May 07, 2010, 04:25:32 PM
NEW TRAILER IS PANTS-SHITTINGLY GOOD*: http://theplaylistnation.blogspot.com/2010/05/watch-new-inception-trailer-tv-spot.html

*as long as it's not "all a dream" in Leo's head.

actually it looks PANTS-SHITTINGLY SPOILERFUL. i had to stop it after they introduced ellen paige and he started explaining the plot to her (and she started speculating about the rest of the film). i'm happy with my impressions from the first teaser so i'm tapping out now from this film's marketing.

also regarding your size=4 idea, that could well be the case since leo is obsessed with that right now, but i think it will be ambiguous and frankly presented early on -- in fact we can all speculate that much going into the film since we know that's one of the major themes -- any time you have a movie about dreams it's also about the difference between dream/reality BUT DONT FALL ASLEEP FROM BOREDOM JUST YET, MODAGE.. i think you can trust that nolan will make it fun and excellent.
under the paving stones.

squints

Quote from: modage on May 06, 2010, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: picolas on October 26, 2009, 03:20:09 AM

http://thisman.org/

i'm convinced this is BRILLIANT viral marketing for inception. it's too fucking freaky to be real. i also think part of the premise for the movie lies in this part of the site:

'Strangers' Director to Question 'This Man'
Source: Cinematical

Deadline's Michael Fleming is reporting that director Bryan Bertino will be following up his debut on The Strangers (he wrote a script for The Strangers 2, but will not direct it) with the This Man, a film with a fascinating, potential-packed premise behind it. According to Fleming, the film is an adaptation of a web site Ghost House Pictures acquired from an Italian sociologist who, supposedly, created it as a global connection portal for people who claimed to have all seen the face of the man (pictured in the top right) in their dreams. The film, however, won't just be a chronicle of this sociologist's "discoveries", but about the man who has no idea that people the world over are seeing him in their nightmares.

The reason I sound doubtful as to the history of the project is because I don't think it's quite so fact-based as Fleming presents it to be. Jawbone.tv has a handy breakdown of when posts about This Man started to appear on the Internet as well as who registered ThisMan.org. Their registrant is the same "Italian sociologist" Fleming mentions, Andrea Natella. Granted he may actually be a sociologist, but Jawbone also pinned Natella as the director of an Italian guerrilla marketing company.

I don't really care if the story is fact-based or just the result of some clever viral marketing because I think the concept behind This Man is rock solid and ripe for speculation. I'm hoping it goes a little something like this: Strangers start to recognize the man on the street and as soon as he realizes it's because people are convinced they're having nightmares about him, he's led into a world where cults have risen in frightful devotion to him and people everywhere have him on their minds. His life starts to spiral out of control as his 'fans' come out of the wood-work and eventually he discovers it was all just a viral experiment on the Internet and that he happened to have a face that was generic enough to look like the generic face an Italian marketer/sociologist chose for his little experiment.

Again, I have no idea if that's actually what the script is about, but that's where I would go with it-- and getting people to speculate on the vaguest of details is a great sign that you've got the potential for something great on your hands. It doesn't hurt, either, that Bryan Bertino's first film managed to transform a predictable script into something that was legitimately creepy (thanks in no small part to an outstanding sound design). Here's hoping his team-up with Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert's production shingle refines those talents even more.

More importantly, however...has anyone out there actually seen this man in their dreams?

disappointed this isn't viral marketing for inception. oh well. that last poster is silly. trailer is pants-shittingly awesome.
can't wait for this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

did the cinematical guy just straight out try to write his own screenplay in that article?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on May 08, 2010, 12:55:45 PM
did the cinematical guy just straight out try to write his own screenplay in that article?

hahah yeah looks like it, and it was pants-shittingly shit.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: matt35mm on May 07, 2010, 04:37:13 PM
The score is very close to The Dark Knight's.

with a touch of

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Why Christopher Nolan was afraid you'd laugh at Inception
Source: SciFi Wire

Most of us don't dream about being badass action heroes. Usually it's more like showing up for high school naked, or getting chased by a giant pretzel. That wouldn't make a good movie, or at least you probably couldn't get Leonardo DiCaprio to star in it. Christopher Nolan was worried that his movie about dreams, Inception, could get silly if he went too far into the weirdness of dreams.

"One of the things tonally I talked about with Leo is never tipping over into comedy, the sort of funny version," Nolan said in a press conference on June 25 in Beverly Hills, Calif. "There are certain areas when you're talking about dreams—the analysis of dreams and how you might examine those in the film—that you do want to avoid. They would probably be either too disturbing for the sort of action film genre that we're working in, or funny."

DiCaprio plays Cobb, an expert in creating dream worlds for high-profile targets, then entering their dreams to steal secrets. He's got some of his own nightmares haunting the dreams, too. Even if Cobb knows it's a dream, he has to deal with them in that reality. So do all the other characters.

"One of the things all these guys have done in their performances is that they've created very subtle differences in the way the characters appear in the dream levels and then in reality, but they've never made it funny," Nolan said. "They've never taken it to that comedic place. Certainly I think there's probably a great comedy version of this movie somewhere, but I didn't want to make it."

So Nolan hired the right actors, but there's a little more to it than that. DiCaprio shared exactly how he made Cobb's dream states so realistic. "It was a matter of sitting down with Chris and being able to really form the backbone of a character and create a scenario where it became like a giant therapy session," DiCaprio said during the press conference. "At the end of the day, these different layers of the dream do represent a psychoanalysis, him getting deeper and closer to the truth of what he needs to understand about himself."

Maybe Nolan's being a little too modest. It's not all about the actors. Nolan created dreams that they could be awesome in. "This is Chris Nolan's dream world," DiCaprio said. "It has its own structure and its own set of rules. It was basically being able to sit down with Chris for two months every other day and talk about the structure of this dream world, and how the rules that apply in it."

Inception opens July 16.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Inception reviews are everywhere.  

I.  Can.  Hardly.  Wait.  
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

[size=8]FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH[/size]

kubparisons.

New Feeling

As a non-fan of Nolan's Batman movies I was keeping my expectations low for this one, but as a big fan of Memento I am now officially psyched.

I guess it's time I checked out The Prestige. 

john

Nolan has been a consistently watchable middle-brow director. He challenges conventions, but within really safe parameters. Insomnia was an unnecessary effort, Batman Begins suffered from way too much boring exposition, and Memento gets more credit than it deserve  for a well executed trick. Following, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight have been his strongest films to date... and he certainly hasn't made a total failure... but I'm never excited at the promise of another Christopher Nolan film.

Inception was no exception, either... until Nolan started citing Last Year At Marienbad as an influence on the film. Now my interest is considerably raised. I love that there's a big budget summer film that's partially inspired by Alain Resnais - makes me appreciate Nolan a little more.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Ghostboy

Quote from: john on July 05, 2010, 10:47:55 PM

Inception was no exception, either... until Nolan started citing Last Year At Marienbad as an influence on the film. Now my interest is considerably raised. I love that there's a big budget summer film that's partially inspired by Alain Resnais - makes me appreciate Nolan a little more.

Except that he said he hadn't seen it until after he made Inception....