Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

pete

stop croaking shows and businesses dude.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Bob Iger is like, "Oh, yeah, Harvey -- I'll sell the Miramax name back to you. Price? A BAJILLION KAJILLION DOLLARS!!!"

haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Goodbye Miramax, hello, Maxamir!

matt35mm

Famed film editor struck, killed by car in NYC

By Cristian Salazar, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK – An award-winning film editor who worked on many of Errol Morris' documentaries, including "The Fog of War," was struck and killed by a getaway car speeding from a Manhattan drugstore robbery, police and her mother said on Saturday.

Karen Schmeer was crossing Broadway at West 90th Street on the Upper West Side on Friday when she was struck by a car driven by two suspects in the theft of over-the-counter medication from a CVS drugstore a few blocks away, police said.

Her mother, Eleanor DuBois Schmeer, confirmed the film editor's death. Schmeer was an editor for Morris' documentaries as well as other works, including "Sergio," which won a best-editing award last year at the Sundance Film Festival. The movie is about Sergio de Mello, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights killed in a 2003 explosion at U.N. headquarters in Iraq.

"She was just extremely loved by many, many friends," said Schmeer's mother, from her home in Portland, Ore., where her daughter was born.

Morris wrote on his Twitter feed that Schmeer's death was a "senseless tragedy."

Lt. John Grimpel said the driver of the car has been arrested on a murder charge shortly after Friday's crash. Schmeer was pronounced dead at St. Luke's Hospital.

On Saturday, police were still looking for a passenger who fled from the car as well as a third suspect.

Although Schmeer's last listed address was in Boston, her mother said she was living in an apartment on the Upper West Side when she was killed.

In addition to editing Morris' Academy Award-winning documentary film, "The Fog of War," which profiled former Secretary of Defense Robert MacNamara, Schmeer worked as editor on many of his other films. She also was an editor for "Sketches of Frank Gehry," directed by Sydney Pollack.

Myxo

Developing: Coroner rules actress Brittany Murphy's death an accident; cites pneumonia, anemia and multiple drug intoxication.

Off of CNN.com.

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8515729.stm

The Knack lead singer Doug Fieger dies aged 57

Fieger said he had been clean and sober for 25 years

The lead singer of The Knack, Doug Fieger, who co-wrote the hit My Sharona, has died at the age of 57.

Fieger, who died on Sunday at his home in Los Angeles, had been battling cancer, and had undergone surgery to remove brain tumours in 2006.

"Our hearts are broken, we will miss you Doug," his band members posted on The Knack's official website.

My Sharona topped the US singles chart in 1979, and led to the group being hailed as the "next Beatles".

The song, co-written with Berton Averre, was inspired by an ex-girlfriend of the same name.

It was re-released in 1994 after featuring in the Ben Stiller film Reality Bites, and was later revealed to be on former US president George W Bush's iPod.

It reached number six in the UK and enjoyed a revival after appearing in a cereal advert last year.

Fieger had spoken frankly about his drug and alcohol abuse during the band's heyday, but recently revealed he had been living a healthy lifestyle for more than 25 years.

Former member Bruce Gary died of cancer in 2006, while Berton Averre and Prescott Niles still perform as The Knack.

RegularKarate

Andrew Koenig, Walter Koenig's son/ Jimmy Pardo's brother-in-law / Actor, camera-man, and all-around swell guy was found dead in Vancouver.  He took his own life.

Very sad.

children with angels

This is really sad - his music has been very important for me. Any other fans out there?

R.I.P. Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous

Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse has committed suicide, according to a report from Rolling Stone. His family has released a statement reading, "It is with great sadness that we share the news that our dear friend and family member, Mark Linkous, took his own life today. We are thankful for his time with us and will hold him forever in our hearts. May his journey be peaceful, happy and free. There's a heaven and there's a star for you."

Linkous made his debut under the Sparklehorse name with the 1995 album vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot, which yielded the minor hit "Someday I Will Treat You Good". He went on to release three more acclaimed records of fractured, experimental alt-blues: 1999's Good Morning Spider, 2001's It's a Wonderful Life, and 2006's Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain, as well as the Danger Mouse/David Lynch all-star project Dark Night of the Soul and the Fennesz collaboration In the Fishtank. A voracious collaborator, Linkous also worked with PJ Harvey, Daniel Johnston, Tom Waits, and many others.

Last year, Dark Night of the Soul was released as a book and a blank CD and leaked to the internet due to a legal battle between Danger Mouse and EMI. Earlier this week, it was announced that Dark Night of the Soul would finally receive physical release this summer.

http://pitchfork.com/news/38114-rip-sparklehorses-mark-linkous/

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

matt35mm

I listen to his music nearly every day... this is so sad.  He was such a beautiful songwriter.

squints

Dark Night of the Soul was one of the really good albums from last year.

Sparklehorse + Flaming Lips - Daniel Johnston's "Go"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

I have his second and third albums. I definitely like him on a song basis and not an album basis.

Saint Mary blows me away though. So weird to go through that near death (or technically dead 2 mins) event only to take your life down the road. Although, maybe the first was a suicide attempt as well (I have no idea)?

Apparently shooting his heart in the alley behind a friend's house - and right after Soul gets legal clearance? Something doesn't add up.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Corey Haim, 38, Found Dead

By Stephen M. Silverman
• Additional reporting by BLANE BACHELOR

Originally posted Wednesday March 10, 2010 08:30 AM EST

Corey Haim is dead, Los Angeles Police confirmed to TV station KTLA. He was 38.

Police say it is believed the actor, who had a long history of substance-abuse problems, perished from an accidental overdose at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Haim reportedly was found unresponsive at his apartment. His mother was said to be with him at the time.

He was pronounced dead Providence St. Joseph's Medical Center in Burbank.

Haim shot to fame in the '80s after starring in several teen films, including The Lost Boys, Lucas and License to Drive. Most notably, he collaborated numerous times with Corey Feldman, and the pair were dubbed "The Two Coreys." They starred in an A&E reality show with that name from 2007 to 2008.

But Haim struggled with drug addiction for several years. At one point, Feldman told his friend he would no longer speak to himuntil he got sober.
under the paving stones.

children with angels

Quote from: ρ on March 10, 2010, 08:12:24 AM
Corey Haim, 38, Found Dead

By Stephen M. Silverman
• Additional reporting by BLANE BACHELOR[
Originally posted Wednesday March 10, 2010 08:30 AM EST

Corey Haim is dead, Los Angeles Police confirmed to TV station KTLA. He was 38.

Police say it is believed the actor, who had a long history of substance-abuse problems, perished from an accidental overdose at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Haim reportedly was found unresponsive at his apartment. His mother was said to be with him at the time.

He was pronounced dead Providence St. Joseph's Medical Center in Burbank.

Haim shot to fame in the '80s after starring in several teen films, including The Lost Boys, Lucas and License to Drive. Most notably, he collaborated numerous times with Corey Feldman, and the pair were dubbed "The Two Coreys." They starred in an A&E reality show with that name from 2007 to 2008.

But Haim struggled with drug addiction for several years. At one point, Feldman told his friend he would no longer speak to himuntil he got sober.

Gah, that's sad. I just watched him in Murphy's Romance two days ago.

admin edit: added quote for new page
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

mogwai

Sad news, big fan of "Lucas" which I think was one of his more serious roles.

Find Your Magali

I knew a girl who had auditioned for a movie that starred Corey Haim and Alan Thicke.