The Assassination of Richard Nixon

Started by MacGuffin, November 24, 2004, 12:59:48 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 29th, 2004 (NY/LA)

Cast: Sean Penn (Sam Byck), Don Cheadle (Bonny Simmons), Naomi Watts (Marie Bicke), Brad Henke (Martin Jones), Michael Wincott (Julius Bicke), Mykelti Williamson (Harold Mann), Nick Searcy (Tom Ford), Tracy Middendorf (Businesswoman), Lily Knight (Receptionist), Jack Thompson

Director: Niels Mueller (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Niels Mueller, Kevin Kennedy

Premise: Based on real life events surrounding the infamous "Watergate" incident and the empeachment of President Richard Nixon that followed in 1974, "Assassination" centers on a businessman (Sean Penn) who decides to take extreme measures to achieve his American dream.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

This is quite a good film. I've still got to think about it some more before I decide if it's great (and it's certainly no 'Taxi Driver,' to which one could make the most immediate comparison), but the very fact that it leaves me needing to think about it is proof (to me) that it 's a very worthwhile film.

Ravi

Saw the trailer yesterday.  I'm looking forward to it.

cine

Quote from: GhostboyThis is quite a good film. I've still got to think about it some more before I decide if it's great (and it's certainly no 'Taxi Driver,' to which one could make the most immediate comparison), but the very fact that it leaves me needing to think about it is proof (to me) that it 's a very worthwhile film.
More proof that I never need to review films.. GB says all I'm going to say.. man oh man. I looked for this thread *hoping* I'd be the first to say "it reminded me a little of Taxi Driver".. haha nope.

Saw this last night though.. didn't know a thing about the film. I'd like to say it leans closer to great than good. Penn was simply amazing (seems kinda pointless saying that). I read Ebert's review and he asked whose decision it was for Penn to put on the fake moustache. While I'd like to think Penn thought of something so good on his own like that.. I'm sure it was Mueller's idea, since having one for his quest makes the most sense to the story.

modage

Title: Assassination of Richard Nixon
Released: 26th April 2005
SRP: $27.95

Further Details
New Line Home Entertainment has announced riveting drama Assassination of Richard Nixon which stars Don Cheadle, Naomi Watts, Jack Thompson and Sean Penn. The disc will be available to own from the 26th April, and should set you back around $27.95. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Stereo Surround track. English and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. The only extra material will be an audio commentary with the debut filmmaker Niels Mueller, who discusses the real-life inspiration for his examination of the historically overlooked and desperate acts of Samuel Bicke. We've attached the official region one package artwork at the link below: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5806&n=1&burl=
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sal

Definitely a film worth watching.  Penn is fantastic.

meatball

The film's been released on DVD today. At the risk of heightening expectations, all I can say is: astonishing. If anybody here hasn't seen it, I suggest doing so. It's worth the five bucks rental -- or better yet blind buy it. More films like this need to be made.

Redlum

I just blind bought it.

I saw the Interpreter at the weekend (which is doing extremely well at the box office here - #1 for the second week running!) and need another fix of Sean Penn excellence.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Finn

I saw it last night. It really was terrific. Penn was excellent as always and he had strong writing and directing to go along with it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: Small Town LonerI saw it last night. It really was terrific. Penn was excellent as always and he had strong writing and directing to go along with it.
you're not kidding, he did!

writer & director
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

lamas

oh shit, that's some funny stuff!  i just saw this.  it's a shame that this film seemed to be so buried.  the only reason i think of as to why is that i guess we're not supposed to be able to handle a film about presidential assassination in these trying times...blah blah blah.  seriously, this was a very solid film with a mesmerizing peformance from penn, who should've been nominated.  i LOVED the very last scene.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh