Land of Plenty

Started by rustinglass, October 28, 2004, 11:04:21 AM

rustinglass

I saw it today and liked it very much.
John Diehl is amazing in this.

official site:
http://www.wim-wenders.com/movies/movies_spec/landofplenty/land-of-plenty.htm
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Just Withnail

The very last parts of the trailer were beautiful, the rest I really don't know what to make of.

What made you like it?

rustinglass

well, it's a very interesting road movie, michelle williams is cute as never before. It's a very good and efective portrait of the americas that we've learned to both love and hate.  But John Diehl's character alone is worth your money.
Also, it's an interesting production. It was shot in 16 days with one DV cam and a  small, but motivated crew. And you see it in scope and with the dolby sound and everything. I liked that aspect about it.

One of my favourite moments - no spoilers i swear to god- involves old people not being able to stop listening to george bush.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

i hav 2 hours to decide whether to watch this or Murderball. the following is enuff to sway me..
Quote from: rustinglassmichelle williams is cute as never before.
but the trailer gives the impression it's more about the john diehl character. murderball is a guarranteed hit, this is a risk. what would u do?

HURRY! thanks.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Quote from: Pubricki hav 2 hours to decide whether to watch this or Murderball. the following is enuff to sway me..
Quote from: rustinglassmichelle williams is cute as never before.
but the trailer gives the impression it's more about the john diehl character. murderball is a guarranteed hit, this is a risk. what would u do?

HURRY! thanks.
Murderball.  I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and Land of Plenty is actually pretty poorly reviewed.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mmMurderball.  I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and Land of Plenty is actually pretty poorly reviewed.
thanks matt, u hav averted a crisis.

but still.. michelle williams.
under the paving stones.

rustinglass

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: matt35mmMurderball.  I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and Land of Plenty is actually pretty poorly reviewed.
thanks matt, u hav averted a crisis.

but still.. michelle williams.

Well I haven't seen murderball, It might very well be a better film... and I've only seen Land of Plenty once a long time ago, and I liked it very much, and the portuguese critics raved abou it. If you like Wenders you should consider at least renting the dvd, P, and if you like michelle williams.. well she is just cute as pie in this movie.
-Emir Kusturica