Most Overrated Movie of the Year

Started by Satcho9, February 11, 2003, 07:43:09 PM

moonshiner

Quote from: godardiangood old-fashioned, narrative, plot-driven entertainment.

Far From Heaven was far from plot-driven, I thank you.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

godardian

Quote from: moonshiner
Quote from: godardiangood old-fashioned, narrative, plot-driven entertainment.

Far From Heaven was far from plot-driven, I thank you.

I never said it was. I said that it could just as easily be taken for that as for everything else that's going on. Did you even read/understand my whole post...? It certainly wasn't my intention to be reductive. Quite the opposite. I loved the film for everything it was, which (to me) was, indeed, a lot more than plot-driven. But if you were looking for something accessible, there's quite an overload of linear, one-event-leading-to-the next there (especially compared to Haynes's other films), which can be seen as deceptive. Or not.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

frycookonvenus

was Chicago.  too much pizazz and glitz and glamour and nonsense.  Too much Chicago.  Just too much.
Punch Drunk Love, however, was one of my favorites...
Didn't see 8Mile, but i DID see Malibu's Most Wanted.  If someone said that movie sucked, that would be hyping it up.  Horrible.  Simply horrible.
William
www.FryCookOnVenus.com
www.Cinematropolis.net

snaporaz

i guess i'm alone in thinking that minority report is, in fact, a masterpiece. well, me and ebert. and believe me, i am hardly a hollywood-blockbuster lover, but goddamn did that movie fucking rock.

maybe it can't be taken too seriously just because it's an action movie.  :?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: snaporazminority report is, in fact, a masterpiece

Except for the signature Spielberg sellout ending...

snaporaz

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: snaporazminority report is, in fact, a masterpiece

Except for the signature Spielberg sellout ending...

haha, yeah i suppose. but the previous two hours totally make up for those last two minutes.

but seriously, that flick was just filmmaking perfection. if a similar story had been made into a film fifty years ago under comparable direction, i'm sure it would be one of the all-time classics.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanExcept for the signature Spielberg sellout ending...
i'll agree that Saving Private Ryan didn't need that, but AI and MR are ekzellent uses of em, just cos he ties everything up nicely.. i can believe that. u know, that's what he does best.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

i think its a masterpeice as well.  and im also kinda thinking that if spielberg hadnt directed it and the ending was still the same - would people be bitching about it as much?  maybe, maybe not, i dunno

ProgWRX

the ending in an "up" note IMO was totally appropriate, it balances out the grim and cold rest of the movie well.
-Carlos