Be Cool - "Get Shorty" Sequel

Started by CastCall, November 07, 2003, 01:08:23 PM

CastCall

"BE COOL", the long-awaited sequel to the 1995 hit film "Get Shorty", is now casting for production in January.

This MGM dark comedy will star John Travolta again as Chili Palmer, the Miami loan shark turned film producer. The sequel will be about Palmer getting into the music business and becoming the manager of an up-and-coming female rock star who is involved with the Russian mafia.  

Based on an Elmore Leonard novel by the same name, "Be Cool" follows Palmer as he and another manager do everything they can to hold onto their rising superstar client. Palmer soon learns that the music business is not that different from the criminal underworld.

Production will begin on January 15, 2004.    

CAST MEMBERS: John Travolta, Dwayne Johnson

DIRECTOR: F. Gary Gray ("The Italian Job", "The Negotiator")

PRODUCERS: Michael Shamberg, Danny DeVito, Stacey Sher and David Nicksay

PRODUCTION COMPANY: Jersey Films ("Erin Brockovich", "Pulp Fiction")

DISTRIBUTORS: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer  

EMAIL FOR MORE INFO: FilmRoles@a1response.com

The film's casting directors are looking to fill a wide variety of principal and background roles.  

Male Roles for This Film:

"Raji" (A.K.A. Roger Lowenthal), Caucasian , 20s - 30s.   A pseudo-hip music manager of a female rock star named Linda Moon. This white guy wishes he was black.  He idolizes Samuel L. Jackson.  He wears a backwards black cap, dark shades, a gold choker chain and black pants.

"Sin Russel", Caucasian, 40s.   A former Ivy League rich boy turned hip-hop manager. Russell is the manager of the successful rap group Ropa-Dope Posse. He is an amoral, detached music industry player.  He has a chip on his shoulder because of a deal gone bad.

"Tommy Athens", Caucasian, 40s.  An old friend of Travolta's character and the owner of NTL Records.  He is quickly killed off by a hit man.

"Derek Stones", Caucasian or African-American, 20s - 30s   He is one of Tommy Athens' recording artist clients who is constantly being made fun of by Chili Palmer (Travolta).

"Nick Car", Caucasian, 40s - early 50s.   A complete sleazeball .  He has dyed black hair, a ponytail and a pinky ring.  He's a self-serving and malicious music industry guy.  He is Raji's partner.

"Joe Loop", Caucasian or African-American, 20s - 30s.   A sociopathic, unfeeling hit man with an aggressive animal-like look about him.

"Hy Gordon", Caucasian, 30s - 40s.   An enterprising record producer and engineer who is impressed by Chili Palmer's savvy business sense and willing to help Linda record a demo.

Female Roles for This Film:  

"Linda Moon", Caucasian or Latina, 20s.  A beautiful, struggling singer with an incredible voice. She's ambitious and determined to make it in the music business on her own terms.  She takes it in stride when she opens for a famous band and is an instant success.  Linda is delighted when she is finally given a shot at the bigtime.  The part requires singing talent.

"Tiffany", Caucasian or African-American, 20s - 30s.  A tough female record producer assistant who wears a Mohawk and a nose ring.  This girl has attitude.  She plays lead guitar on Linda Moon's demo.  She also wears knuckle rings that spell "LADY" on one hand and "LUCK" on the other hand.

For casting details, send email by November 12th to FilmRoles@a1response.com

NEON MERCURY

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

it's chili outside, and  it's chili inside.... it's a regular fuckin' chili

hehe, good one, Ray
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Weak2ndAct

cine

Ravi

There are probably more aspiring directors and writers here than actors.  But you never know.  Someday we could be hearing one of us on the HBO First Look piece for some movie.  "How did I get the part?  Well, I used to be freakerdude on Xixax, and I was about to post some pictures of Jacki Lynn and goat s. ecx when I saw the casting call..."

Just chose freakerdude at random.  No particular reason.

MacGuffin

Who is Uma Thurman in Be Cool?
Source: Variety

We previously reported that Uma Thurman was reteaming with her Pulp Fiction co-star John Travolta in the MGM sequel to Get Shorty. Vince Vaughn is also talks to join.

It has now been revealed that Thurman will play the female lead, Edie, in Be Cool. Edie is a widow who takes over her late husband's record label. That puts her in business with Palmer, the loanshark-turned-movie producer who has entered the music business in search of another film idea.

Thurman will join Travolta, Danny DeVito (reprising his role as actor Martin Weir) and The Rock, who will play a bodyguard/aspiring actor. Peter Steinfeld wrote the script and a February start date is expected.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

man thats a very very cool cast... except for The Rock  :roll:

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

NEON MERCURY

..I wove the Rock.....

me and my cousin do freestlye rap battles to the WWE cd during his intro song..
:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
......do you guys smi-zell what the rock is cooking.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..........

i am a loser....just kidding...... :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Pubrick

Quote from: coffeebeetleWhere is Rene?????  :(
olding.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: andykman thats a very very cool cast... except for The Rock  :roll:
You didn't like him in the Rundown?

Kal

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: andykman thats a very very cool cast... except for The Rock  :roll:
You didn't like him in the Rundown?

havent seen that yet... I wanted to for Sean William Scott, but not for The Rock... maybe when I see it I change my mind  :roll:

cine

So what exactly do you have against the Rock?