Ordinary People

Started by filmcritic, June 16, 2003, 11:23:25 AM

filmcritic

It's unusual that there is almost only one piece of music throughout this film, Canon in D. That's just about it. It's amazing how Robert Redford can make such a great film with only one piece of music in it.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

soixante

The book Ordinary People was highly praised, at least by Time magazine.

I have mixed feelings about the film.  I remember when it came out, it didn't look that interesting.  But people kept raving about it, so I saw it, and I had a rather neutral response -- not bad, not good, just there.  

I think if Gene Hackman had played the therapist, and if Ellen Burstyn had played the mother, it would have been much better.  I felt that both Judd Hirsch and Mary Tyler Moore are pretty one-dimensional actors, and I simply didn't buy Moore as a Nurse Ratched type.

However, I do know some people who related strongly to the film, had similar relationships to their parents, etc.  Undoubtedly, there was some core of truth to the film.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Duck Sauce

I think Mary Tyler Moore was very good in it, she was successfully unlikeable to me but not to the point where I couldnt sympathize. Burstyn would have been better, but MTM still was great/

Ghostboy

I actually just saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was very good -- the comparisons to Bergman are quite appropriate. But the psychiatrist subplot hasn't aged well, I think. Especially if you've seen the (inferior) 'Good Will Hunting,' which follows exactly the same healing trajectory. Other than that, it was an incredible movie. I love the rather fragmented storytelling approach; every scene feels like a brief interlude, almost an individual episode, and the way they slowly start to build on each other is very effective.

USTopGun47

It's been awhile, but I loved it, especially the scenes with the psychologist.  It is sad, but I don't think Scorsese will ever get his deserved Picture/Director Oscar.  That shouldn't interfer though with the judgement, the Oscars are quite horrid really.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

sexterossa

my favorite moment was on the golf course where the fight between the two parents took place. it was such a climax of building tension, similar to the affect magnolia had on me when he we keep seeing Phillip Baker Hall becoming sicker and sicker on live TV until he finally passes out.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

filmcritic

Robert Redford (the director) is 66 today! Does anyone agree with me that he's a better director than he is an actor? Apparently the Academy thinks so since he beat Martin Scorsese for "Raging Bull" that year. But the Academy is hardly ever fair or even right.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Find Your Magali

Figured this would be as good a place as any for some more Redford news:

Robert Redford on art and politics

WASHINGTON (AP) — Paint helped turn Robert Redford into an actor.
   "I was first sort of recognized as a person through my art," said Redford, who began his career as a painter and was in town to deliver a speech at the Kennedy Center on supporting the arts.
   "I spent a lot of time (in school) finding things more interesting out the window or not coming in at all, so I was always getting in trouble. I spent a lot of time at the blackboard, either being punished, or drawing because that's something I could do," Redford said in an interview with AP Radio.
   "There was no real program in school at that time," he said. "I was fortunate that it went that way for me because God knows where I'd be without that support."
   Also, Redford is throwing his support behind something he has shunned in the past — a sequel. He and Larry Gelbart are co-writing a script that follows up on 1972's "The Candidate."
   Redford doesn't ever do sequels because he says he has too many other stories to tell, but he was intrigued by the thought of where character Bill McKay would be 30 years later.
   "The thing that really pushed it across for me already having said no was the idea that the character I am today would be president, looking at an ad running against him of himself as a younger man when he stood for something he no longer stands for," he said. "He's so far removed from that person. Me looking at myself as a younger person just felt kind of good."
   "The Candidate" was about how politics stresses style over substance. So what about Arnold Schwarzenegger?
   Redford said he was opposed to the California gubernatorial recall in general, but was staying neutral when it comes to Schwarzenegger.
   "I don't know Arnold, but he's a colleague. The only thing I would say is that I think given his money and whatever celebrity he does have, he'd probably be more effective out of politics and doing what he wants outside rather than inside."

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

ok everybody who rented this and and network after you saw the magnolia dvd rasise your hands

filmcritic

I'm happy to say that I saw it way before I saw the "Magnolia" documentary.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Finn

I saw this movie on IMDB's movie of today and started thinking back on it. It's a really excellent drama, one of the first and best to analyze dysfunctional families. All the performances and the direction by Redford were great. I hated that it was up against "Raging Bull" cuz they're totally different from each other.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pubrick

Quote from: Small Town LonerI hated that it was up against "Raging Bull" cuz they're totally different from each other.
yeah, all movies released in the same year should be exactly the same.
under the paving stones.

Finn

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: FinnI hated that it was up against "Raging Bull" cuz they're totally different from each other.

I'm not saying they should all be the same, but those two movies were both great in their own way and it's unfair to choose one over the other. But that's what the award shows have to do.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

atticus jones

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Small Town LonerI hated that it was up against "Raging Bull" cuz they're totally different from each other.

that is a rather brilliant idea...

much like the chinese year of the monkey, rooster etc.

for instance...2006 is year of the dark comedy or action adventue or whatever and all directors must submit their entry...

of course the "year of" categories could be announced well in advance to allow for pre production, etc. and could be cyclical as well

a global cinematic olympics/world cup/ dick whipping contest if you will...

p...i do

not to hijack, so a comment on o.p.

easily a top five in terms of films that inspire my dramatic writing...in fact not my favorite film in terms of performance but the sibling/family thing draws blood every time we go...

loved the previous comment about the music...or lack thereof
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose