Junebug

Started by MacGuffin, August 08, 2005, 12:37:56 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August 5th, 2005 (NY)

Cast: Amy Adams (Ashley), Embeth Davidtz (Madeleine), Benjamin McKenzie (Johnny), Alessandro Nivola (George), Celia Weston (Peg), Scott Wilson (Eugene)

Director: Phil Morrison (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Angus MacLachlan (feature debut)

Premise: A dealer in "outsider" art travels from Chicago to North Carolina to meet her new in-laws, challenging the equilibrium of this middle class Southern home.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

I was wondering where this thread was. I'll post press in a few days.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Myxo

I watched Ebert & Roeper this weekend. They both raved about it.

Brazoliange

poster looks pretty
Long live the New Flesh

NEON MERCURY

man, i will see this if onyl to get wet when i see my boy alessandro nivola...he's hot and underrated as a thespian....i liked him in face/off..

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

matt35mm

This is a very good movie.  The kind where you like it the more you think about it.  Amy Adams does, indeed, give the kind of performance that steals your heart.  She'll be a star.

modage

one day, she'll work with Spielberg...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modageone day, she'll work with Spielberg...
Well, one day she'll STAR in a Spielberg movie, anyway.

Figure 8

I saw this the other day and thought it was really, really good.  Probably one of my favorites of this year so far.  It seemed like Phil Morrison kind of pulled a Todd Solondz by getting a great band (Yo La Tengo) to do the music for the movie and then only using one song and a clip from another in the entire film.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Figure 8I saw this the other day and thought it was really, really good.  Probably one of my favorites of this year so far.

I concur completely. Somehow, I completely forgot to revisit this thread after seeing the film the other week. But it's extremely good.

grumpus

I am very comfortable in calling this my favorite film of 2005. 

At any rate, the DVD will be released January 17, 2006. 
Mark that shit on your calenders, ya'll. 

DVD FEATURES

• 10 Deleted Scenes
• Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
• Audio: English 5.0
• Behind the Scenes Featurettes
• Cast Audio Commentary with Embeth Davidtz
• Outsider Art Photo Gallery
• Previews
• Subtitles: French

About the Film

• Stars: Amy Adams, Embeth Davidtz, Ben McKenzie, Alessandro Nivola, Frank Hoyt Taylor, Celia Weston, Scott Wilson
• Director: Phil Morrison
• Producer: Mindy Goldberg, Mike S. Ryan
• Genre: Drama
• CC: Yes
• Color/B&W: Color

cine

shitty cover but what else is new.

matt35mm

They should have just had a big headshot of Ben McKensie with a big bright sticker saying "Starring BEN McKENSIE from THE O.C.!!!!" along with those festival signs to boost sales among OC fans as well as people who buy anything with festival cred.

As well as a few "FOUR STARS!" and "THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!"s for good measure.

RegularKarate

Quote from: grumpus on December 08, 2005, 12:06:46 AM
I am very comfortable in calling this my favorite film of 2005. 

Why?  have you seen any others?