Arbitrage

Started by MacGuffin, September 19, 2012, 11:42:57 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: September 14, 2012

Starring: Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Brit Marling, Tim Roth

Directed by: Nicholas Jarecki

Premise: A troubled hedge fund magnate desperate to complete the sale of his trading empire makes an error that forces him to turn to an unlikely person for help.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I dug it. I heard this movie's been touted as a day-and-date success story. great little thriller that's essentially all dialogue and acting. it's weird now that you can compliment a movie by comparing it to good television, but here we are. this is like a really good HBO original. it's got that hitchcockian thing where you root and sweat for a very unlikable character simply because we intrinsically empathize with people who lie and need to get away with the lie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ElPandaRoyal

I'm surprised this is being so ignored by everybody overall. Very solid thriller with a very hot topic, done in a very sober way. And I've never seen Richard Gere this good before. He makes us root for and want to kill his character almost equally. I don't think you need to compare it to good television, it's also very cinematic in its own way. I will go as far as to say it's one of my favorite movies of the year, totally unexpectedly I might add.
Si