Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Started by modage, April 12, 2009, 09:23:49 AM

modage

At fourteen years old, best friends Lips and Robb Reiner made a pact to rock together forever. Their band Anvil, hailed as the "demi-gods of Canadian metal," influenced a musical generation including Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax. Though Anvil never made it, they never stopped playing or believing. Following a calamitous European tour, Lips and Robb, now well into their fifties, set off to record their thirteenth album, "This is Thirteen," in one last attempt to fulfill their boyhood dream.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/anvilthestoryofanvil/

Thought of as a "real life Spinal Tap", it's actually more touching than funny.  I really liked this a lot.  98% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

i really liked this too. funny how the drummer's name is Robb Reiner and it truly is a real life Spinal Tap. youll be rooting for these guys wit tears in yo eyes. the guy who shot it was brilliant. just pay close attention to the photography in the Japan section for confirmation. i was more delighted to meet the cinematographer than Cameron Crowe who was at the screening in LA last night. plus i didnt have a vanilla tart for Crowe. the band were as humble in person as shown in the doc.

best screening ever by the way. free copy of the DVD & free booze included.   

modage

This is still one of my favorite movies this year.  I'm kinda surprised no one else has seen it.  It's also great to see how much success they've had because of this doc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.