the wire

Started by pete, February 14, 2007, 01:40:51 AM

modage

s4 was my favorite.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

SPOILER WARNING FOR SLEEPLESS

Season 1 has so much replay value and at least for me you can appreciate it so much more once you know all characters, in fact, the very first episode which the first time seems like nothing happens it's quite the contrary, there is so much going on and what I love/admire the most is how all characters were so perfectly constructed from day one, it could very well be the best episode of the series even thou in my top five I chose another ep.

I don't get the bad rap about S2, there are great characters, Frank Sobotka seems like a real 'bad guy' when in reality he's only getting money to buy his seat in the next election or helping some stevedores.
McNulty's boat days are great to watch too, he fucks Rawls from the harbor for real and his falldown is saved by Daniels beautifully, not to mention Omar at Birds trial, that's pure gold.

Pas

Quote from: Fernando on February 13, 2009, 01:50:00 PM
SPOILER WARNING FOR SLEEPLESS

I don't get the bad rap about S2, there are great characters, Frank Sobotka seems like a real 'bad guy' when in reality he's only getting money to buy his seat in the next election or helping some stevedores.
McNulty's boat days are great to watch too, he fucks Rawls from the harbor for real and his falldown is saved by Daniels beautifully, not to mention Omar at Birds trial, that's pure gold.

exactly what I was thinking, season 2 is very good. 10000x better than season 5

john

Yeah, I just gotta add some love for season two.

I was thoroughly impressed and immersed in the first season - but season two made me a truly vocal fan. I think it really showed the scope and ambition that would be evident in further seasons.

But, really, I just feel like I'm nitpicking this show when it comes to ranking seasons - I understand and respect why people this, but this show is incredible, start to finish. I guess comparing it to a novel is kinda tedious and overdone at this point, but it's still pretty apt.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pas

Quote from: john on February 13, 2009, 04:45:02 PM
I guess comparing it to a novel is kinda tedious and overdone at this point, but it's still pretty apt.

A while back I heard about a new series from the creator of The Wire about the war in Iraq. Did that happen ? Is it out and if so, is it any good ?

pete

yes it was great.  generation kill.  there's a thread for it.  not as epic as the wire, only seven episodes, but I cried a bunch.  you better watch it in one setting 'cause underneathe all them uniforms it's hard to tell them apart.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Quote from: pete on February 13, 2009, 06:54:15 PM
yes it was great.  generation kill.  there's a thread for it.  not as epic as the wire, only seven episodes, but I cried a bunch.  you better watch it in one setting 'cause underneathe all them uniforms it's hard to tell them apart.

great thanks I'll check it out

Kal

So after hearing so many good things about this show I decided to watch it. I have never even watched an episode or know what the hell is about, but I'm looking forward to finding out. A friend gave me the complete series.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: kal on April 15, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
A friend gave me the complete series.
I wish I had your friends. You are gonna love it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

for petes sake

Just saw this on youtube.  Time to start watching all over from season 1 again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgj78QG9Bg&feature=player_embedded

Stefen

Anyone watch No Reservations w/Anthony Bourdain? It's a great show and if you're not watching it, you should be. Anyways, I just watched an episode on the Rust Belt and it had Snoop on it. She's legit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

haha. wtf.

Anyone seen this?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

here's the trailer

awesome dog attack
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

Quote from: Stefen on February 13, 2009, 01:24:52 PM
Season 1 = awesome.
Season 2 = kind of sucks, but stick through it because....
Season 3 = AWESOME.
Season 4 = AWESOME.
Season 5 = awesome.

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 13, 2009, 01:30:16 PM
Really?  I thought it was more like...

Season 1 = AWWWWWWWWWWWEEESOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Season 2 = not as good, but stick through it because....
Season 3 = AWESOME.
Season 4 = AWESOME.
Season 5 = awesome.

Now this was like two years ago!

Someone needs to bump this.

After seeing it all, reflecting on it for a year and coming back and watching it all in a hurry,
Season 1 = Awesome. It is so hard to get someone into this until you get into the latter half of this season and people start dying.

Season 2 = Fucking totally awesome, if you know what eventually happens to everyone. I didn't so much care for the docks, i still really don't, but seeing what goes on in the Avon/Stringer world is great.

Season 3 = AWESOME. There's some chessy shit, Daniels and Pearlman fucking juxtaposed with Cutty hitting a punching bag (reminded me of the end of fucking Munich). bUT, My favorite moment is where Avon is getting sentenced in the last episode and he looks back and smiles at his sister, she ignores him, he looks at the judge, he looks back to his sister and she's gone, and a second later Marlo sits down right behind Avon. Crazy awesome shit, especially knowing exactly what comes next.

Season 4 = AWESOME x4. I start it again for the third time tomorrow, its just that great.

Season 5 = I've only seen once and I'll check it out again soon. But, it has its weak points but what is great is how it wraps up (sort of) all the kids' stories from Season 4.

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

seasons 1 and 5 got cute in too many spots
season 3 and 4 were the starkest, with 4 totally, totally taking the cake
season 2's good, but felt like a british crime show or something
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton