computer chess

Started by samsong, July 22, 2013, 03:15:29 PM

samsong

jenkins

mmhmm. it's got that undeniable aspect, like they used on the atbs poster. people who watch movies have liked this movie. festival people i know have gone wild

a good q&a that intersected cinema and books
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/a-chat-with-andrew-bujalski

Pubrick

Quote from: samsong on July 22, 2013, 03:15:29 PM
this is andrew bujalksi's new movie.  it looks real good.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/computerchess/

Let me fix that for ya:

this is andrew bujalski's new movie. it looks real good.

under the paving stones.

i guess its a testament to this films inevtiable greatness that i thought this was a documentary for the first 20 seconds.

JG

it is good! definitely stands apart from the rest of his oeuvre. "style" doesn't feel like the right word, the disentropic editing goes against any sort of "style" we see at the movies... bujalski said the style was influenced by public access television and that seems like the only way to describe it. its a strange fantasia that doesn't feel like many other things.

but beneath the chaotic style, which i was mostly into, is a really sweet narrative about simple people driving in cars, having conversations with strangers outside hotels, stuff that feels like it could be out of a raymond carver story or tobias wolff or something. very american, soulful under the veneer of its 80s-retro aesthetic. precise storytelling with all the right sorts of digressions. 

classical gas

This is on netflix instant.  Anyone else seen it?

jenkins

mhmm. scenario seems to be to either encourage or discourage other people. throwing up my neutral :/ ace potential for thinking introspective people

matt35mm

It's wonderful and batshit crazy. Really up my alley as far as the humor goes. All of the period stuff and nerdiness feels right on the money. Definitely give it a watch now that it's on Netflix.

jenkins

Fernando

your posts.

btw that trailer is great, I'm steely daning it.