Actors that you'll watch any film they lead

Started by Pas, February 23, 2010, 12:52:18 PM

Pas

Mostly starting this thread to find out about some awesome b-movie actors. Those who will influence the quality of a film just as much as the the bad director or screenwriter (in the opposite direction).

Of course I don't mean watching every TV-movie performance or simple cameo. Just movies where they lead. These kinds of actors are usually in every god damn scene of the b-movies they do.

Eric Roberts

I immediatly think of him because it is this compulsion that made me want to see Star 80 so much. It's hardly a b-movie though. BUT, I think he's so good that I also like his really b-side stuff like Nature of the Beast or La Cucaracha.

Mickey Rourke

He has a bit less leads than Roberts in actually not terrible movies, mostly smaller roles. But he makes good on them and is a definite scene stealer. Just like Roberts, wherever you cast him he will deliver. My favorite movie of his is Angel Heart. The twist is not really a twist because you see it coming like one hour before they reveal it but I always argued that that was on purpose and wasn't meant to shock anyone. Rumble Fish also rocks. But these are not b-movie really, the first one stars Robert De Niro and the other is a Francis ford movie. His b-movie career is a bit pathetic, but he's always fun to watch act.

Nicolas Cage

Any film with Nic Cage in every scene deserves to be watched. I will only make two exceptions for this: Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Windtalkers. They suck. Really, really suck. He doesn't have a whole bunch of b-movies be they are really good.  Deadfall is probably the b-est. I mean the b-est, not the best. But it's pretty good. Cage is over-over-the-top in it. Like, the top is miles below him. He's out of the top's gravitational pull. The top is so far away that if he goes further up he will actually go back towards the top and eventually go under the top. Probably travelling through time in the making.

Crispin Glover

Apparently, one of the most extreme performance of Cage is the first thing he ever did. It's the same thing for Glover. And it's not over: THEY WERE TOGETHER

It's called The Best of Times. A TV show where Crispin is the narrator and breaks the fourth wall apparently... must be se awesome.

Gotta go, I'm way late in my work. Ciao friends.

pete

I mean, aside from the greats who are good at picking script.  I really like Michael Cera.  I love his delivery. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Elias Koteas, Bill Fichtner and Peter Stormare always seem to put in great work.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Pas Rap on February 23, 2010, 12:52:18 PM
Deadfall is probably the b-est.

I can't wait to watch this.  It's in my Queue but I'd never heard of it till I saw on youtube a few months ago.  It looks to be a Cage Classic on par with Vampire's Kiss.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on February 23, 2010, 01:33:06 PM
Elias Koteas, Bill Fichtner and Peter Stormare always seem to put in great work.

Great picks. Weirdly, I have come to know Fichtner and Stormare from the shittiest TV show, Prison Break, and now enjoy seeing their faces.

Koteas I like him since watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a kid, and he also comes from where I live.

Quote from: pete on February 23, 2010, 01:29:20 PM
I mean, aside from the greats who are good at picking script.  I really like Michael Cera.  I love his delivery.  

Good point to exclude good script pickers like let's say DDL (... though I heard Nine was shit)

Do you like Michael Cera enough to like blablabla Infinite Playlist?

pete

of course not, but I liked him enough to start watching it.
I have a new thing now, I can't watch romance films where the girl arbitrarily kisses the guy first without any reason to.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

children with angels

Quote from: pete on February 23, 2010, 03:41:58 PM
I have a new thing now, I can't watch romance films where the girl arbitrarily kisses the guy first without any reason to.

Haha, yeah, you said that before - why do you have such a problem with it? It DOES happen, you know...!

Also: Elias Koteas is a good call. Any fans of him who haven't seen Exotica need to immediately.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

pete

I said "arbitrarily", meaning it's not just because the girl also likes the guy, but the fact that the writer can't write a proper kiss so he just thought it'd be quirky or whatever to have the girl kiss him for no reason.
- Buster Keaton

polanski's illegitimate baby

every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

children with angels

Okay, fair enough, but you've also said

Quote from: pete on November 25, 2009, 07:36:26 PM
I still can't stand the whole string of recent romantic comedies for young people where the quirky girl kisses first.  that's shameless fantasy.

as if it's a girl kissing first itself that's a shameless fantasy. Clearly not a big deal - I just wanted to voice support for the girl-kissing-first convention, which is hardly outlandish.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

polanski's illegitimate baby

every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

polkablues

"Crash", "One Night at McCool's", "You, Me, and Dupree", "Old Dogs"...
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen