Started by picolas, October 29, 2009, 04:43:59 PM

I Love a Magician

because one is good and the other isn't

(curb is good)

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

i'd be fine with the movie if it weren't for how the dude presented the big turning point

squints

spoil:

are you talking about all the screaming and fast cuts and gratuitous shots of babies in the pool?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

I agree that stylistically it wasn't very deft, but it was such a devastating moment in the film that really any way it was depicted would've been fine.  he got the point across and in no way made it "bad film".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

yeah each time i've seen it that has bothered me but it doesn't ruin the whole film by any means.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

matt35mm

I can see I Love a Magician's point.  A lot of little things throughout the film bugged me just enough as to take away from the emotional impact.  I think there was also a lot of repeating of footage that didn't really make any sense to me.  Like how one of the interviewees would say something and then there'd be a cut to one of the director's old films where Andrew has a bit of dialogue that more or less says the same thing, which vaguely suggests that everything's connected when really it's not.  I suppose it could be argued that it's stylistically almost stream-of-consciousness in the way that it bounces back and forth, how a new thing can bring back an old memory... but this part of the film's style was mostly distracting to me.

I still liked the movie, because the story is really gripping and really sad, and the interviews with those who knew and loved Andrew are very touching.  But I'm kinda glad to see some criticisms popping up, because I think this was too hyped up for me.

Pas

Another great exemple of Canada's fucked legal system. There was a guy a couple months a go : 6 years of prison for raping and leaving in the coma some 50 year old mom and pushing someguy who tried to save her on the metro rails (the metro managed to stop)

Because of prison overcrowding the sentence is automaticaly reduced by 3 (6 if non-violent crime) and because he was in prison for 1 year and 2 months before the hearing this time counts as double (because of overcrowding again) so his sentence was actually 0 day, 0 minute and 0 seconds.

Oh well...

modage

This was the most devastating movie I have ever seen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek

Yeah, I wanted to reach through the screen and choke that judge and the mother.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

md

Quote from: Derek on February 07, 2010, 12:06:01 PM
Yeah, I wanted to reach through the screen and choke that judge and the mother.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

children with angels

SPOILERS

Just watched it. Jesus. Too emotional to give much in the way of coherent thoughts. I just wanted to say that the moment when Kate (Andrew's mother) breaks down, then David (his father) pauses before yelling in a voice that carries a rage and a grief you can't describe, "THIS IS WHAT THAT FUCKING BITCH DIDN'T KNOW," is one of the most affecting things I have ever experienced in cinema. I responded emotionally to that outburst in a way that wasn't like watching a movie - it was as if I was sitting in a room with this man and his pain; how often does that ever happen? It's the portrait of these two incredible people being pushed to the edge, yet somehow carrying on, that makes this doc something very, very special.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/