Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

mickeywolfman

Not sure how reputable, but interesting nonetheless!
(Cooper Hoffman to be playing Gary Goetzman, early cuts of Soggy Bottom said to be "very enjoyable")
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/08/16/mgms-lion-sleeps-tonight-as-respect-falters-flag-day-scores-poor-reviews-but-soggy-bottom-story-mystery-solved-exclusive

wilberfan

Not sure of the overall reliability of that article, but Cooper's character is named 'Gary'.

For reference, here's a shot of Goetzman (with Tim Matheson--later of "Animal House" fame, and others.)

Robyn

Gary Goetzman is the one in the middle?

Could Alana Haim be playing one of the other actors in Yours, Mine and Ours? Morgan Brittany?

Find Your Magali

My Confusion score just went up 5 points, as did my Intrigued score.

Also curious about this idea that PTA might be trying to "one up" Tarantino at his own game.

RudyBlatnoyd

I mean, that certainly sounds like a plausible premise for Cooper Hoffman's character's storyline.

I suspect that this movie's apparent similarity – superficially, at least – to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood will hurt its chances with mainstream audiences, coming so soon after that film.

Just an instinct, but I'm expecting something closer to Inherent Vice than Phantom Thread in terms of content and reception – perplexing to most, adored by a passionate minority. And since I love IV, I'm fine with that!

wilberfan

I don't think it will perplex anyone.

Robyn

Also just realized that Steven Spielberg's daughter Destry Allyn Spielberg is credited on IMDB. Joseph Cross, Spielberg, Cooper and Haim all being credited without their character names. Maybe all of them are based on real people?

RudyBlatnoyd

I don't know... the esoteric nature of some of the alleged subject matter – riffing on the lives of obscure Hollywood figures and politicians – seems like it might result in some nonplussed viewers. Especially since Anderson tends to lean into the knotty weirdness of his material, whereas Tarantino's instincts are more those of a 'crowdpleaser'.

Yes

the article mentions the film is "very enjoyable". what about that indicates perplexing? Not getting the feeling of another Inherent Vice or The Master. Sounds like a fun movie about actors interacting. And I don't get the sense PTA is trying to one up QT and Hollywood. PTA loved Hollywood and is still friends with QT.

Tdog

Quote from: Find Your Magali on August 16, 2021, 05:31:43 PM
My Confusion score just went up 5 points, as did my Intrigued score.

Also curious about this idea that PTA might be trying to "one up" Tarantino at his own game.

I always thought that Once Upon A Time was Tarantino trying to one up PTA's Inherent Vice.

kingfan011

You guys are so fast. I literally just came to post that link

The mention of "very enjoyable" makes me think this may be pretty mainstream (for PTA) and less of an Oscar play i.e. no grand themes or difficult characters

Yes

Quote from: kingfan011 on August 16, 2021, 06:25:01 PM
You guys are so fast. I literally just came to post that link

The mention of "very enjoyable" makes me think this may be pretty mainstream (for PTA) and less of an Oscar play i.e. no grand themes or difficult characters

The Hollywood setting will compensate for any lack of social or grand themes. Just look at Birdman, Once upon a Time in Hollywood, etc.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but one of the greatest cinematic artists today, arguably the most overdue director, making an enjoyable Hollywood romp/satire sounds like it would play very well to Oscar and industry voters

pynchonikon

I don't get the potential IV comparisons at all, on paper this looks like a happy balance between crowdpleasing and awards contending (which was never really the case with IV for those who were familiar with Pynchon).

Neither I believe the obvious OUATIH connection will automatically hurt it, it's never about what you want to say, it's about how you say it (And PTA's approach/style is vastly different from QT's).

Also wondering if "very enjoyable" could potentially mean PG-13.

Lewton

My post here is not actually related to this thread but I didn't know which thread to post in, so hopefully this one will work. This is more of a random comment about any of the future movies, but not about the next one...

I hope PTA watched The White Lotus on HBO...Mike White's new show that just recently finished its first season. There's some Punch-Drunk Love-type energy here and there in some of the episodes. I'm guessing PTA would appreciate the great Murray Bartlett (he plays Armond the hotel manager), who is one of those actors who just seems like he'd do so well in a PTA movie. Admittedly that's a long list but there's something in particular about this guy's energy that made me think of some of PTA's movies.

Yes

Photo of PTA with Gary: https://i.redd.it/r2qmlzr9qa521.jpg

PTA discussing Gary during a Phantom Thread Q&A:
Paul Thomas Anderson: Right. Well, yeah. Jonathan was a very good friend of mine, a hero of mine growing up. I loved his films, continue to love his films, and about three days before we finished shooting, I got a phone call from his partner Gary Goetzman saying that Jonathan was really sick. And on the last day of shooting when we see Alma pushing the baby carriage in the park there – just before that I got a call that Jonathan had passed away. So, I was kind of ultimately, incredibly sad, but then I heard his voice ringing around in my mind going, "Buddy, you finished your movie." He was very enthusiastic to anybody who knew him.

So, he was the filmmaker that made me feel like anything was possible. Look, I mean anything is possible like it was – that you could make a movie the way that his films looked and felt and were so handmade. He meant a lot to me as a filmmaker and even more as a person, so, it's great that we got to – It's terrible that he died, great that we got to dedicate the movie to him. I miss him. [laughter]