Broken Flowers

Started by Ultrahip, April 29, 2005, 06:11:32 PM

RegularKarate

Do you not like Jarmusch either, P?

He's not for everyone, seriously... and I can totally understand it... I don't even think it's a matter of "getting it"... I just think it's not everyone's thing.

I can't make "excuses" for why I love Ghost Dog or Down by Law... I just do... there's no need to make excuses in my eye, but at the same time, I can understand why some people think I'm just some pretensious asshole that's pretending to like them... they just don't like it.

w/o horse

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: themodernage02
annoying thing #5: Jarmusch is the Pavement of directors.  he's just not that talented.  somehow he has managed to sustain a career off making bad to okay movies that attract interesting talent and never really getting any better.  you'd think after 20 years or more of making this shit, he could turn out something that would be worth watching, but not ol' stubborn jim.  

which is why your review is invalid.

I will continue to look forward to this.

Unfortunatley, it's not in Austin this week (which is really fucked up and surprising)

Are you talking about that Pavement analogy RegularKarate?  Because I as well thought that was an awful, awful analogy and was way over the top.  If there weren't hundreds of Pavement copycat bands trying to sound like Pavement and failing I would understand the comment, as Pavement would be some horrible fluke.  But they're obviously appealing to a niche, and, aside from the slacker mindset that they shepherded, you'd be hard pressed to find a musician who doesn't respect them and think they're talented.

So yeah.  Maybe Jarmusch is the Pavement of directors.

No but obviously the kicker was that modernage doesn't like any of Jarmusch's movies.  I just thought that analogy was terrible and made it transparent that modernage has a mindset which is antithetical to the one that mirrors Jarmusch's.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

yeah, he is an asshole.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

wasn't there also an aspiring detective from Africa in Garden State?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateDo you not like Jarmusch either, P?
oh, i like dead man and ghost dog. especially dead man. i'm just getting tired of murray's schtick.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: RegularKarateDo you not like Jarmusch either, P?
oh, i like dead man and ghost dog. especially dead man. i'm just getting tired of murray's schtick.

yeah i like jarmusch, but how many films is it now that Murray has played this type of character?  I'll still be seeing it, though.

GoneSavage

Same type of character?  Isn't that what he started off his career doing?

The Perineum Falcon

So he's been typecast all along?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ghostboy

I'm a little behind and didn't get around to seeing this until today.

It's a beautiful film. Not as great as Dead Man, but well up there with the rest of his best. It's simple and extremely intimate - but don't mistake that for simple-minded and pointless. And it's so many hundreds of times better than Sideways, which a lot of people seem to be comparing it to.

I'll take issue with two of Modage's critique's (ignoring the unqualifiable 'Jarmusch can't direct' comment).

1. That 3/4 of the films is pointless shots. If you miss the point of 3/4 of the movie, then yeah, you're probably not going to like it. There isn't a wasted shot in the movie. There are a lot of static shots of seemingly inconsequential things, but the keyword there is seemingly - unless, of course, one has divested oneself of interest in what's going on.

2. That the ending is pointless. The only way the ending could be pointless is if one doesn't pay attention to Murray's 'philosophical' closing dialogue, which sets up the last shot - which is utter perfection itself, especially with the audio - perfectly.

Incidentally, I wasn't a big fan of Neil Young's Greendale, but Jarmusch included a nice little homage to it here.

Myxo

I've noticed that one bad review lends itself to a mob mentality of bad reviews on Xixax. Glad to hear you had a great experience Ghostboy. I'm going to see this in the next couple of days.

Pubrick

Quote from: MyxomatosisI've noticed that one bad review lends itself to a mob mentality of bad reviews on Xixax.
it seems modage is in the minority, so congrats, another baseless comment.
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: MyxomatosisI've noticed that one bad review lends itself to a mob mentality of bad reviews on Xixax.
it seems modage is in the minority, so congrats, another baseless comment.
Just an observation from what I've seen is all. I never said it was a fact, which needs a base.

samsong

beautiful, beautiful film.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Ghostboy
Incidentally, I wasn't a big fan of Neil Young's Greendale, but Jarmusch included a nice little homage to it here.

INVALID. :yabbse-wink:

i am w/ you modage...i liked stranger than paradise [a whole fuckign lot]...its hilarius...but this doesnt seem like soemthign i need to get aroused on...

Figure 8

I saw this as soon as I could when it came out and I loved it.  That said, I do really like all the Jim Jarmusch movies I've seen, so I don't know.  A lot of people thought it was too slow (the same criticism on most Jarmusch movies), but I just thought it was great.  I thought that Murray really played the part well, and I guess it's a fair argument to be saying that he's been playing this same kind of mid-life crisis character a lot lately, but he's pretty good at it, I think at least.  I mean, I also really liked Lost in Translation.  I think it would be good if Murray moved on to do something new, because it would be a shame if all of a sudden he became kind of like Samuel L. Jackson and only be able to play one kind of character, when he really is a great actor.  I thought that the story, while it wasn't the most original or groundbreaking, it was still told well and I enjoyed the movie.