Who loves movies the most?

Started by kotte, December 05, 2003, 04:54:11 PM

kotte

Judging their work, what filmmaker seems to love movies the most?

I think you know I love the Coens and PTA so I'll compare them.

PTA seems to be more interested in what he makes films about than cinema itself, which is great. It totally works. It's wonderful. They teach people about life in a way. Therefor I gotta say Coen. Their movies are all loveletters to cinema. They don't say much (some do, though) but it doesn't matter.

Maybe this thread is stupid, in that case let it die.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: kotte

this thread is stupid, in that case let it die.

i wont argue with you.
...your excuses are your own...

Slick Shoes

Probably Tarantino. I read an interview somewhere where Joel and Ethan said they don't watch movies that much anymore.

Banky

kotte

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: kotte

this thread is stupid, in that case let it die.

i wont argue with you.

I said 'let it die' not 'Hate it? Tell me!'

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: kotteThey don't say much . . . but it doesn't matter.
Paul Thomas Anderson says so much less than the Coens. Each one of their films, someone once said, and I agree, could spawn a college thesis.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

kotte

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: kotteThey don't say much . . . but it doesn't matter.
Paul Thomas Anderson says so much less than the Coens. Each one of their films, someone once said, and I agree, could spawn a college thesis.

You're right. If you look deep. There's a (as you say) college thesis.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Thecowgoooesmooo

Hmmm... Kinda hard to figure that one out unless I actually knew the person, and not the person I see in the media. But I can tell you one person, who I know watches movies the least.

It's that motha fucka Barry Sonenfield.

I hate that bastard.

chris

Gold Trumpet

Scorsese. Even with not knowing any of these guys personally, its still a no brainer.

Alethia

SHAFTR

Quote from: ewardtruffaut, hands down.

agreed
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

picolas

Quote from: kottePTA seems to be more interested in what he makes films about than cinema itself, which is great. It totally works. It's wonderful. They teach people about life in a way. Therefor I gotta say Coen. Their movies are all loveletters to cinema. They don't say much (some do, though) but it doesn't matter.
i think it's the half-opposite. they're both making "loveletters to cinema." PTA is just harder to immediately distinguish because he's genreless. but he's heavier on the "cinema" than the Coens. The Coens are insane storytellers.