Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Lottery

New Thom Yorke!
Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

As an experiment we are using a new version of BitTorrent to distribute a new Thom Yorke record.

The new Torrent files have a pay gate to access a bundle of files..

The files can be anything, but in this case is an 'album'.

It's an experiment to see if the mechanics of the system are something that the general public can get its head around ...

If it works well it could be an effective way of handing some control of internet commerce back to people who are creating the work.

Enabling those people who make either music, video or any other kind of digital content to sell it themselves.

Bypassing the self elected gate-keepers.

If it works anyone can do this exactly as we have done.

The torrent mechanism does not require any server uploading or hosting costs or 'cloud' malarkey.

It's a self-contained embeddable shop front...

The network not only carries the traffic, it also hosts the file. The file is in the network.

Oh yes and it's called

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich

https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/d0b4beba8efc4b46f6dba119b511a5b2d5cabc96168c0dc097ee9d514059ab63

Lottery

It's good but it feels like I've listened to it before (because I kinda have). Good beats and Thom's vocals are unsurprisingly great.
I'm hoping that the new Radiohead album (which I imagine will come out next year) will be a bit more inventive and exciting.

tpfkabi

$6 download or $50+ vinyl?
No thanks, Thom.
If you want me to hear your music, put out a reasonably priced physical format.
Not interested in illegal downloading, but I will legally buy music when it is priced accordingly.
Still haven't bought My Bloody Valentine's mbv because $25 for a CD with no bonus tracks or special packaging is totally overpriced.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Drenk

6$ for an album is overpriced? iTunes, Amazon, it's at least 9$. 6$ is 4,70 euros, a baguette and some croissants.
Ascension.

max from fearless

Got nothing but love for Thom and the gang BUT they need to leave Kid A alone. Leave the UK bass scene alone and just go there own way again.

Drenk

Quote from: max from fearless on September 27, 2014, 04:16:15 PM
Got nothing but love for Thom and the gang BUT they need to leave Kid A alone. Leave the UK bass scene alone and just go there own way again.

Hmmm, it's the first time I feel like Thom just does what he wants to do; yes, it means some imitation, but the guy is good enough to have something to add. As The King of Limbs, the album, sometimes, seems incomplete. But it's way better than The King of Limbs (Bloom was the only great song in it, I think.)

I like Amok, it has some great songs; but Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, as an album, a landscape, a mood, is my favorite Yorke related release since In Rainbows. (And In Rainbows left Kid A alone.  :yabbse-grin: )

I mean, The Mother Lode, what a great song!  :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Ascension.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Drenk on September 27, 2014, 12:31:33 PM
6$ for an album is overpriced? iTunes, Amazon, it's at least 9$. 6$ is 4,70 euros, a baguette and some croissants.
You missed my request for a reasonably priced 'physical' release.
Digital is pretty much worthless to me.

Garam

tpfkabi

Quote from: Garam on September 30, 2014, 02:38:04 AM
why is it worthless?

I like to have physical copies. Even if a used item becomes 'worthless,' at the least you could probably bundle 100 'worthless' DVDs and sell it for something. You can't really sell digital downloads.

Although, I kinda would like to be able to sell the digital downloads/copies that come with movies that I don't use.

Drenk

I understand the need to have physical copies; but, ultimately, I put the music on my computer, I listen to it on my iPod or on iTunes, with headphones, it's all translated digitally. And dust covers the physical copy.

Ascension.

Lottery

N