Finding (aka worst thread titlte ever)

Started by kotte, November 10, 2003, 02:12:49 PM

kotte

How come some directors are great at putting together a killer soundtrack?

What is the process of finding music? I'm just listening to the Kill Bill Soundtrack and it's amazing.

Do you get what I'm asking? :)

Kal

it depends on the director... anyone can find great music and great places to find it... i know it cause i work in music

the problem is if you're willing to sell that right to some pop publisher that will fill your sountrack with big names but b-side songs, or in the case of tarantino, excellent songs that you would never hear outside a tarantino sountrack...

i also got the revolutions soundtrack and like it... its more the score of the film but its great... reminds me different moments of the movie and i want to cry  :roll:

TheVoiceOfNick

Well, people like QT and PTA are giant music fans... so they know what they like, and have known for years... I guess it takes a big music fan to really know music well... I have friends who claim to love music, and listen to it all the time, though they've never heard the Beatles or the Doors... it's like, "come on... its basic listening"... its like a movie buff who has never seen the Godfather movies... ya know?  I guess what i'm saying is that you should listen to as much music as you can... have an open mind... if you only have your radio set to one or two stations, expand it... when you're in the music store, sample CDs... either with those new-fangled devices that you scan the barcode with, or in a used store where they actually let you open it and listen... if you like a band that has done a cover, that's a dead giveaway as to where you should listen next... find out who did the originals and listen to them... then find out more about those artists... the point is to become well-versed in as much music as you can... if you consider yourself a true music fan, i'm sure you won't mind...

kotte

Quote from: andykor in the case of tarantino, excellent songs that you would never hear outside a tarantino sountrack...

That's the goal...how do you go about that?

It's not a 'how can I be Tarantino' question... :)

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickWell, people like QT and PTA are giant music fans... so they know what they like, and have known for years... I guess it takes a big music fan to really know music well... I have friends who claim to love music, and listen to it all the time, though they've never heard the Beatles or the Doors... it's like, "come on... its basic listening"... its like a movie buff who has never seen the Godfather movies... ya know?  I guess what i'm saying is that you should listen to as much music as you can... have an open mind... if you only have your radio set to one or two stations, expand it... when you're in the music store, sample CDs... either with those new-fangled devices that you scan the barcode with, or in a used store where they actually let you open it and listen... if you like a band that has done a cover, that's a dead giveaway as to where you should listen next... find out who did the originals and listen to them... then find out more about those artists... the point is to become well-versed in as much music as you can... if you consider yourself a true music fan, i'm sure you won't mind...

Thanks. You always kinda knew that's how it works...but it's inspiring to hear it from someone...

MacGuffin

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: andykor in the case of tarantino, excellent songs that you would never hear outside a tarantino sountrack...

That's the goal...how do you go about that?

Hire a music supervisor, since that's basically their job. To find and clear the rights to songs included in the film and on the soundtrack.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

It has to do with the circle of people he works with... the publishers and songwriters and musicians that he knows...

Like PTA and his close relationship with Fiona Apple and Aime Mann are what made a huge difference...

Then instead of being a huge corporation spending a lot of money on some comercial Madonna song, you are related to great independent publishers who knowing how twisted your brain is (in this case Quentin's) they can provide him with ideas and material of what he wants...

At least thats how I know it works, as I work with music, I know people that work on music for films, and I'm working on my first film and tv show and even though I havent worked on that yet, I'm already thinking of who i'll call

kotte

Internet's a great tool in finding music...

I'm not a pro-piracy guy...but it helps out in finding what to buy.

Finn

Apparently PTA just went home, listened and picked all the music to Boogie Nights from his old album records. As for the musical scores, most directors try to find the best score composers and conductors they know of.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

NEON MERCURY

instead of inding music it would be col to create your own..........
but not in a john-carpenter-i-love-80's-hair-metal kind of sound

godardian

Quote from: andykhuge corporation spending a lot of money on some comercial Madonna song

I know what you mean, but they were able to get "Lucky Star" for Safe extremely cheap... by asking her.

On the other hand, when they wanted to use "Satellite of Love" by Lou Reed in Velvet Goldmine (another Todd Haynes movie), they had to talk him out of $50,000 flat fee.

So it sometimes goes on a case by case basis. I'd assume that the more popular a song is, the more it might cost to get the rights for your soundtrack, but there are all kinds of anomalies.

I love it when a pop song works on a soundtrack. Nothing better.

When it doesn't work, though, and it feels jammed in there? Very little makes me cringe harder than when that happens.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weak2ndAct

The good ones already know the music when they're writing it.

Music is one of my favorite parts of writing/filmmaking.  When working on a script, I usually make a mix tape/cd of the mood and play it on a loop endlessly as I plug away at the computer.

As for editing, there's nothing more fun than grabbing a pile of cd's and trying different things to see what works.  Very interesting cuts can be found that way.

pete

Quote from: kotteHow come some directors are great at putting together a killer soundtrack?

What is the process of finding music? I'm just listening to the Kill Bill Soundtrack and it's amazing.

Do you get what I'm asking? :)

it's just a matter of taste, if you're a director and you've got a good idea of what your soundtrack is going to be like, then you can plan your images to the soundtracks, like Wes Anderson.  Or if you're an editor and you're used to editing to temp scores and the director approves of of you score, or something.  or if you're a good soundtrack superviser.

but a lot of the kill bill soundtrack had the RZA and some japanese dudes to thank.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

kotte

I love music...but I'm bad at really finding old obscure stuff as well as new indie shit.

I really want to be as good at putting together soundtracks as say QT...