Filmmaker's fave films

Started by Ernie, June 17, 2003, 02:28:44 PM

ono

Quote from: children with angels
Quote from: SoNowThenWes Anderson: tons of Bunel
Yeah, you can tell. He totally ripped off that character being-drowned-out by-background-noise-at-an-important-moment-of-dialogue thing you get in Rushmore from The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeousie.
Actually, that was ripped off from On the Waterfront, which was way before The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0128445

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02ALEXANDER PAYNE SAID
"For example, Scorsese talks not about three acts in a script, but rather five sequences. Or you watch Fellini films -- you watch "Nights of Cabiria" or "La Dolce Vita" or "8 1/2" -- and you get a sense not of a three act structure, but of episodes with on character going through all these episodes. Then you get to the end of the film and there's a sudden realization or a moment that pulls a loose string suddenly taut through the whole movie you've been watching up until that point."

"We just enjoy dialogue," he says. "I can imagine the Coen brothers working in the same way, taking the light in dialogue, in mining the American vernacular."

Payne says he does write scripts with actors in mind, but not necessarily living ones. When he wrote "Citizen Ruth," he says, he was thinking of Giulietta Masina, Federico Fellini's celebrated collaborator, and with "Schmidt" he had William Holden and John Randolph ("Seconds," "Prizzi's Honor") in mind.

Now, is there anyone out there doing satire that you're influenced by?
Taylor: Harry Shearer.
Payne: Also, when we were growing up there was That Was the Week That Was, and The Smothers Brothers, and Richard Pryor. And then National Lampoon Radio Hour. But does it really influence us?
Payne: I'm a big Tex Avery fan.

THE COEN BROS
Ethans
01. Brother's Keeper  
02. Il Bidone  
03. Salesman  
04. The Bad News Bears  
05. The Fortune  
Joels
06. The Fortune  
07. High and Low  
08. Dames  
09. Separate Tables  
10. Where Eagles Dare

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's interested in this stuff. Really, I was hoping someone else would care. One unrelated thing though, I take it you don't like Philadelphia? I go there every summer and I really love it.

Thanks to everybody for all the info, this is tons more than I expected, wow...thank you.

©brad

let's see. off the top of my head, ummm,... not much. i got books and stuff and know i know stuff but just can't remember at the moment, i'd have to look it all up. i do know what my main man oliver stone is all about. in many books about him he always makes references to kubrick. he said that growing up kubrick was his favorite, he used to go see his movies with his dad 'n all. a clockword orange is one of his all time favorites. i can't type anymore right now.

chainsmoking insomniac

Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) listed a bunch of films, but the only one I can remember right now is a film called What Happened Was.....  I'm dying to see this film; it's supposed to be a romantic comedy/drama....
Fuck, it's too early to think right now. Sorry.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

soixante

Paul Schrader has cited Pickpocket, The Searchers, Vertigo, The Conformist and Lolita as some of his favorites.

Michael Cimino, back in the 70's, said he was influenced by Sam Peckinpah, especially Junior Bonner and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Martin Scorsese, as one of his guilty pleasures, cited Exorcist II.
Music is your best entertainment value.

godardian

Kael seemed to think Exorcist II was much better than the first Exorcist. I love the first one, and haven't seen II.

I often think certain filmmakers "made" me see the films that influenced them. Just by a director I love mentioning a film THEY loved, I often felt I had to see it.

-Woody Allen got me into Bergman and Fellini.

-Scorsese got me into so many, including Sirk and Godard (quite literally- first Godard experience was Scorsese's re-release of Contempt a few years back).

-Todd Haynes got me into Fassbinder.

...just as a very few examples.

I wonder if Charlie Kaufman really likes Dressed to Kill, or if that was supposed to be some kind of joke?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sexterossa

Quote from: punchdrunk23Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) listed a bunch of films, but the only one I can remember right now is a film called What Happened Was.....  I'm dying to see this film; it's supposed to be a romantic comedy/drama....
Fuck, it's too early to think right now. Sorry.

i remember one was Mike Leigh's Naked, which i can't find anywhere.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Seraphim

Atom Egoyan's favourite films:

Egoyan's Favo's

Looks GREAT:

L'Argent -Robert Bresson
The Colour of Pomegranates -Sergei Parajanov
8½ Federico -Fellini
The King of Comedy -Martin Scorsese
Mirror -Andrei Tarkovsky
La Notte -Michelangelo Antonioni
The Passion of Joan of Arc -Carl Dreyer
Persona I-ngmar Bergman
Teorema Pier -Paolo Pasolini
Vivre sa Vie -Jean-Luc Godard
(Source: 1992 Sight & Sound Directors' Poll)

I also saw Andrei Tarkovsky's favo's last week. Can't find them anymore, but the list included the most heavy material ever (of course):
Bresson, Bergman, Kurosawa, maybe Ozu..

I'll search for that later.
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos