the decemberists

Started by tpfkabi, March 24, 2005, 10:12:58 PM

tpfkabi

Picaresque is great. I've gotten all three albums in the last month or so and love each one. They're playing in Dallas one week from today. I wondered if anyone has seen them live and how they were?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

xerxes

i like them, they sound like pirates.

Sigur Rós

I like them too. Though I've only really listened to their new album. I like what's happening in the Canadian music scene.

imawombat

i haven't seen them live either, but have heard great things from my friends who have caught a show.
these things do happen

A Matter Of Chance

I really love these guys. I have tickets to their Boston show which is in May, and I am pretty excited.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

the show was pretty good.  they reproduce the records pretty much note for note. they played all of Picaresque except for Eli i believe. they played both the Mariner's Revenge Song and The Tain, so that was pretty cool. i hadn't heard the Tain before that, so that was a neat way to hear it. i bought the vinyl with 5 Songs/The Tain. now i'm wishing i had the Tain on CD though. since i own an actual recording i guess that entitles me to download mp3's legally, but unfortunately SoulSeek has changed up or something.

deathnotronic

This comes out tomorrow, no?

tpfkabi

Quote from: deathnotronicThis comes out tomorrow, no?

if you're referring to Picaresque, it came out two weeks ago or so in the US.

deathnotronic

deathnotronic

Has anyone heard Colin Meloy's old band, Tarkio?

I just got an album of theirs tonight... it's really good.

modage

i like this album.  except for the 2 most piratey sounding songs (The Infanta and Mariners Revenge Song), which i usually have to skip.  the rest of it is good though.  my cousin had told me about them a few years ago and i think i downloaded a few songs off of Her Majesty and just could not get into it mostly because i couldnt stand the singers voice.  but i think the songs are strong enough for most of the new record that it doesnt bother me, and i guess i've also been listening to weirder stuff lately making this seem.... not so weird anymore.  my girlfriend remarked as the the REM similarities.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

I just adore these guys. I actually first heards of them through the Now Playing thread in Real-Life Soundtracks. Few bands have won me over as quick as the Decemberists. No one has mentioned their lyrics, and to ignore them would be a crime. Only Meloy could write a love song piratey, and a pirate song like a love song. Initially I was a tad dissapointed in Picaresque. It grew on me fast, but I'd still range both Castaways & Cutouts and Her Majesty over it.

Stefen

I've hung out with them, they are gimicky as fuck. Turn off to the extreme.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.