Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 24, 2020, 05:47:49 PM
you guys have a good feeling for this? are you more or less hyped than for Phantom Thread?

I think I'm less hyped. I mentioned it the other day. I think this, from who we know is in it so far, is his least exciting cast. Not the biggest fan of teen stories either. And no, I still don't like Soggy Bottom as a title. :lol: My feeling is this will be one of his least well received for a few reasons. Of course, I'm still very much looking forward to it.

pynchonikon

I have a good feeling this will appeal to critics and the mass market, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have huge expectations about it personally. After such a big streak (PDL was his last I didn't immediately love but got used to it in the course of time and now I'm very fond of it), I wouldn't really mind if it's a film I will appreciate rather than truly care about.

The as-of-now casting choices (except Hoffman who sort of makes sense) are odd, but we'll have to wait and see.

Alma

Phantom Thread is my favourite so I doubt I'll like the new one as much as that. However I'm pretty excited for any upcoming film that seems like it could be good at this point, as I haven't been to the cinema since February.

nomorecoffee

I personally think his last movie that I find a masterpiece it's The Master. Being Inherent Vice an adaptation and Phantom Thread (I know we're still talking about two incredible movies) kind of co-written with Daniel I don't see them as personal as the 2012 film. I am excited for the next one because in a way it will be his first 'solo' script in years.

edit: also I really think that he lost something by not collaborating anymore with a DP. I think no matter how skilled and great he is and how much he feels close to the camera dept boys, he still needs a head of that department to discuss about things. I am really surprised by his choice for this, since he's really attached to the past and to how things are traditionally made....... there must be a reason why directors and dp are collaborating for so many years. I felt like Phantom Thread (and to certain extent even Inherent Vice since based on interview I guess PTA just did his own thing more or less rather then collaborating with Elswit) was missing that, even though it's still incredible cinematography, I see that its pictures are coming from a director.

Drill

Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 25, 2020, 09:33:34 AM
I personally think his last movie that I find a masterpiece it's The Master. Being Inherent Vice an adaptation and Phantom Thread (I know we're still talking about two incredible movies) kind of co-written with Daniel I don't see them as personal as the 2012 film. I am excited for the next one because in a way it will be his first 'solo' script in years.

edit: also I really think that he lost something by not collaborating anymore with a DP. I think no matter how skilled and great he is and how much he feels close to the camera dept boys, he still needs a head of that department to discuss about things. I am really surprised by his choice for this, since he's really attached to the past and to how things are traditionally made....... there must be a reason why directors and dp are collaborating for so many years. I felt like Phantom Thread (and to certain extent even Inherent Vice since based on interview I guess PTA just did his own thing more or less rather then collaborating with Elswit) was missing that, even though it's still incredible cinematography, I see that its pictures are coming from a director.

Wasn't that also true of The Master, though?

nomorecoffee

Quote from: Drill on November 25, 2020, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 25, 2020, 09:33:34 AM

That was his first and only collaboration with another DP but yeah I see what you mean. To be honest I am really really attached to his anamorphic work with Elswit (Boogie, Magnolia, PDL, TWBB), I think that aesthetic is still his peak. I understand he became a more mature filmmaker tending to be more static, and less showy and I respect that. He's also 50 now so that makes sense.  The Master with his new choice of format and aspect ratio knocked it out of the park for me and it's my favorite movie of his but I'm still nostalgic for that anamorphic vibrant look.... if that makes sense

pynchonikon

Apparently yes, the word is he didn't get along with Malamaire and shot a considerable amount of scenes by himself.

I don't think the lack of a proper DP cost him that much in PT (then again I'm not an expert on that kind of stuff), at least critics didn't seem to bother. It's strange since he has expressed the will to work with greats in that field (and worked with Darius Khondji on Anima), but I guess he was satisfied with the experience in PT and felt confident to do this again. It's definitely a conscious decision and not a matter of schedule.

I second about the Master being his last masterpiece-level movie, though.

If you're nostalgic for his anamorphic work then you'll be glad to hear that Soggy Bottom was shot in anamorphic too.

Find Your Magali

Yes, this whole debate over whether PTA needs to have a DP is muddied by the reality that The Master is his most beautiful film and we simply don't know how the credit for that gets divvied up between PTA and MM.

I will be surprised if the Phantom Thread/Soggy Bottom trend continues, though.

kingfan011

Quote from: pynchonikon on November 25, 2020, 10:17:13 AM

Apparently yes, the word is he didn't get along with Malamaire and shot a considerable amount of scenes by himself.

I don't think the lack of a proper DP cost him that much in PT (then again I'm not an expert on that kind of stuff), at least critics didn't seem to bother. It's strange since he has expressed the will to work with greats in that field (and worked with Darius Khondji on Anima), but I guess he was satisfied with the experience in PT and felt confident to do this again. It's definitely a conscious decision and not a matter of schedule.

I second about the Master being his last masterpiece-level movie, though.

If you're nostalgic for his anamorphic work then you'll be glad to hear that Soggy Bottom was shot in anamorphic too.

I actually thought he would work with a DP on this just because he worked with someone on Anima

I would love to know one day how much the DP duties were split between Anderson and MM percentage wise. Its next to what exactly happened between Elswitt and Anderson on Vice that are two most juicy behind the scenes details.

nomorecoffee

by the way some fool is having fun changing everyday the wikipedia page putting some big ass novels titles instead of soggy bottom. he got infinite jest, finnegan's wake and the last one was suttree (this morning)

kingfan011

Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 26, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
by the way some fool is having fun changing everyday the wikipedia page putting some big ass novels titles instead of soggy bottom. he got infinite jest, finnegan's wake and the last one was suttree (this morning)

Lol Sttree that's a good one

nomorecoffee

so now we wait? (for the coffee to be poured and the tip of the cigarette to be lit and place in the ashtray)

nomorecoffee

I think I never saw a 10 days break without posts on this sub since it was born.. what is going on peeps??? aren't you excited for the next work of the greatest working filmmaker?

kingfan011

Quote from: nomorecoffee on December 08, 2020, 03:00:40 PM
I think I never saw a 10 days break without posts on this sub since it was born.. what is going on peeps??? aren't you excited for the next work of the greatest working filmmaker?

I'm just waiting for someone in the cast to do a n interview regarding something else and they get asked about this

WorldForgot