Halo

Started by Kal, October 04, 2005, 06:31:08 PM

Kal

HALO!

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, the creative duo behind The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the upcoming King Kong, have boarded Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox's big-screen version of the video game Halo as executive producers. At the same time, outgoing Universal heads of production Mary Parent and Scott Stuber have joined Peter Schlessel on the project as producers. Jackson and Walsh will offer creative input on all aspects of the film via their WingNut Films banner, and Jackson's Weta Digital Ltd. and Weta Workshop Ltd. will provide creatures, miniatures and visual effects for the production. The duo's involvement marks the first time that they have gotten creatively involved on a film that Jackson is not directing. No director has yet been chosen for the film, for which Alex Garland is writing the screenplay.[/b]

grand theft sparrow

Time for a reunion of the writer and director of 28 Days Later...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20051005/tc_zd/161716

Peter Jackson To Oversee "Halo" Movie
Patrick Klepek

Who knew? The rumors are actually somewhat true. Acclaimed (and fanboy loved) director Peter Jackson and collaborator Fran Walsh are tapped to executive produce the upcoming Halo adaptation from Univeral Studios and 20th Century Fox. Mary Parent and Scott Stuber will act as producers alongside Peter Schlessel.

No, that doesn't mean Jackson will be directing, but with creative minds like this at the helm, you can be assured Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson are far, far away. Halo's been dealt the real deal with it comes to Hollywood filmmaking, and I don't think anyone will blame me when I respond to this news with a resounding: holy s***. Someone's finally taking videogame movies seriously.

"As a gaming fan, I'm excited to bring Halo's premise, action and settings to the screen with all the specificity and reality today's technology can provide," said Jackson. "Fran and I are intrigued by the unique challenges this project offers, and we're delighted to be working again with our friends at Universal, and with our new ones at Fox and Microsoft. I'm a huge fan of the game and look forward to helping it come alive on the cinema screen."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Halo Helmer Rumor
Game adaptation may get a director soon.

Sources tell IGN FilmForce that Guillermo Del Toro is in the running for the directing job on the Halo movie. While we haven't been able to verify the legitimacy of these claims, similar rumors began swirling at the King Kong press junket in New York this week where Halo producer Peter Jackson is on hand to discuss his forthcoming big-ape blockbuster.

Del Toro's directing credits include the comic-based flicks Hellboy and Blade II. He is currently in post-production on the Spanish-language film El Laberinto Del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) and has been attached to direct a sequel to Hellboy -- if Del Toro lands the Halo gig, it could mean a delay for the latter which is now in pre-production.

The Halo movie, which is being produced by Universal and 20th Century Fox, is tentatively set to start principle photography in Wellington, New Zealand this May, with a blowout blockbuster release projected in Summer 2007.

The script for the adaptation was penned by 28 Days scribe Alex Garland.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

whoever gets this gig better do it right b/c halo fans are hardcore:

http://thatvideosite.com/view/1139.html

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pyramid machine on December 04, 2005, 07:46:42 PM

That shit isn't lying. I live in a dorm composed of just guys. We're the only dorm on campus on probation with the police because of the excess amount of alcohol confiscated and the normal happenings of guys screaming at each other in the middle of the night. Our student RA quit because he couldn't take it anymore so other RA's run to our house to see what the fight is about only to discover its just guys playing Halo. My roommate not only plays Halo all day long everyday, but gets drunk doing so.

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on December 04, 2005, 07:46:42 PM

hahahaha. it makes sense that GT would live with this dude.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Del Toro Talks Halo
Director discusses game adaptation.

Since late last week rumors have been buzzing about filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy, Blade II) possibly being up for the directing job on Halo. Talk of Del Toro's potential involvement in the highly anticipated project peaked at the recent King Kong press junket in New York where Halo producer Peter Jackson was present discussing his forthcoming big-ape blockbuster.

The crew over at Empire caught up with Del Toro and managed to quiz him on the subject. Guillermo confirmed that he has been in talks regarding Halo, but it sounds like the filmmaker is planning to keep his word and make the sequel to Hellboy next. "The ideal for me would be to do Hellboy 2," he says, "and if Halo doesn't go away, then yeah, I'd love to do both. But it may go to somebody else. We'll see." So, that clears that up... or does it?

Del Toro is currently in post-production on the Spanish-language film El Laberinto Del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth). If pre-production on Hellboy 2 continues according to plan -- script finalization and budget talks with the studio are the primary concerns right now -- then the film could ramp up very soon and give Del Toro plenty of time to work on Halo.

The Halo movie, which is being produced by Universal and 20th Century Fox, is tentatively set to start principle photography in Wellington, New Zealand this May, with a blowout blockbuster release projected in Summer 2007. The script for the adaptation was penned by 28 Days scribe Alex Garland.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Could this be it?

A Video Game movie that won't suck.  So far I'm really happy with the names that have been attached to the project.  It is no secret that I'm a big fan of the games, and I think a Halo movie could be fun.

Although, in my head Starship Troopers is a Halo movie.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Game on for Blomkamp with 'Halo'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Commercial and music director Neill Blomkamp has nabbed the job of directing "Halo," Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox's big-screen adaptation of the video game series.

The games follow a character named Master Chief and his companion Cortana as they try to save the galaxy from alien forces called the Flood. Halo refers to an artificial ringworld that actually is a weapon capable of destroying the galaxy. Alex Garland ("28 Days Later") wrote the screenplay.

South Africa-born and Vancouver-based Blomkamp is known for his commercials that feature robots and a dose of urban grittiness. His eye-popping commercial for Citroen, which featured a car that transformed into a hip-hop dancing robot, won three Clio Awards. He also directed "Alive in Joburg," a documentary-style short about aliens trying to live in the slums of Johannesburg.

Blomkamp began his career as a 3-D animator and was nominated for an Emmy as part of the visual effects team for James Cameron's TV series "Dark Angel." "Halo" will be his first feature.

Mary Parent, Scott Stuber and Peter Schlessel are producing, while Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh are executive producing.

Jackson saw some of Blomkamp's work and flew him to New Zealand for a meeting. One of the aspects that attracted Blomkamp to "Halo" was a chance to play in the Weta sandbox, as Jackson's company is providing creatures, miniatures and visual effects for the production.

Universal will distribute domestically, and Fox will handle foreign territories. The movie is eyeing a 2008 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

His short films are pretty awesome, in a lot of ways. I couldn't care less about Halo, but I've been wanting to see this guy do a feature for a while, so now I'm sorta interested.

MacGuffin

Blomkamp on Halo
Helmer talks vid game movie.

Hot on the heels of the news that Neill Blomkamp would be making his feature filmmaking debut on the big-screen version of the hit videogame Halo comes the first interview with the director about the movie. Here's a taste:

"From a purely game playing perspective, I am a massive fan of the games, but more importantly, I'm a massive fan of the world and universe of Halo, the science fiction world that the games take place inside of," Blomkamp tells Ain't It Cool News.

Fans of the game are already concerned that the movie might be tempted to stray too far from its roots. Blomkamp addressed such concerns, saying, "I think you can be faithful to the game and just begin to layer things that have not yet been seen, over the fabric of what exists. You don't want people who know the game to see the film and not have anything that isn't new."

Another thing that Halo fans are concerned about is the character of Master Chief and how different he might be in the film version.

"Master Chief is certainly something that I do not want to change too much at all, there are certain things inside the Halo universe that are sacred and he's the main one," the director insisted. But he cautioned, "Having said that, there is a need to revise certain parts of him, just from a purely technical standpoint, he has to actually be able to move, like a human, and the game design right now does not allow for full motion freedom, which we will have to achieve."

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6070934.stm

Studios 'pull financing for Halo'

Universal and Fox film studios have withdrawn financing from the planned movie based on popular video game Halo, reports US magazine Variety.

Rumours suggested the studios were concerned the budget could reach £200m, after an original projection of £135m.

The film-makers said the studios pulled out after they and Halo creators Microsoft refused to reduce their deals on the project.

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is an executive producer.

Super-soldier

Ken Kamins, who represents Jackson and his partner Fran Walsh, said Microsoft was in talks with other distribution partners.

Preparation work on the film is reportedly continuing at Jackson's and Walsh's Weta production facilities in New Zealand.

The Halo script is by The Beach and 28 Days Later... screenwriter Alex Garland, and due to be directed by first-time feature film-maker Neill Blomkamp.

The video game has a complex mix of mythology, characters and worlds and follows the adventures of futuristic super-soldier Master Chief as he fights to save mankind from an alien race.

It has sold in excess of five million copies around the world since its 2001 release. A sequel followed in 2004, with a third game due out next year.

MacGuffin

Microsoft Comments on the Halo Movie
Source: ComingSoon

"Halo" franchise creator Bungie posted an official statement from Microsoft about the news that Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox have backed out of co-financing the big screen adaptation:

"We are disappointed that Universal and Fox wanted to significantly renegotiate the financial points of the deal. But the Halo franchise is hugely popular and our goal remains the same - to find a partner that shares our passion and will creatively collaborate with us to best represent the story and spirit of the Halo franchise. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and the rest of the creative team are dedicated to ensuring the Halo movie becomes a reality. We are already in discussions with potential partners who recognize the value of the Halo brand and its appeal to consumers worldwide."

Bungie adds that at the company there "is a feeling of optimism, satisfaction and happiness for reasons we can't go into. Frankly we're interested in making the best movie, and it's possible that a partner who's more concerned with numbers, might not be the best partner for what's more vitally a creative process. Suffice it to say that Peter, Neill, Fran and Microsoft are as excited and dedicated as ever and WETA continues the pre-production process. Actually, when you do finally get to see the stuff WETA has already made, you will probably pee a little."

Skeleton FilmWorks