Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Satcho9, May 22, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

budgie

Gold Trumpet

I knew much couldn't come out of a Depp argument, its personal affection and can't be really debated, but just stated why. No scars really on the Psycho debate, just sarcasm and an interest in not letting someone roll right into another one. As fun and painstaking as they were, an easy going return to one even if not influenced by me would pull me in. I just want a warning before the next one.

But, Budgie, if you are writing an article and all on it and need some more info, give me a heads up and we can share knuckle marks to the face one more time.

~rougerum

budgie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
But, Budgie, if you are writing an article and all on it and need some more info, give me a heads up and we can share knuckle marks to the face one more time.

Gee thanks. Really it would depart from the movie and our conversations were just a jump off, but I might enjoy another bruising sometime for the pleasure.

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp Talks Chocolate Factory
Source: Entertainment Weekly

While he's signed for a sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, one other project on Johnny Depp's mind is Tim Burton's adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It's not a done deal, but Depp sees "Wonka" as the ultimate without-a-net challenge. "You'll never escape that memory that's seared into your consciousness of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka," he admits. "It was really amazing to watch as a kid growing up, and I've watched it with my kids. So it's just, Okay, where do I go from there? Gene Wilder did something very beautiful and it's time to take it somewhere else."

Depp doubts that Burton will make him belt out musical numbers like Wilder did in the original, but he's not exactly opposed to the idea, either.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffinGene Wilder did something very beautiful and it's time to take it somewhere else."

Oh and you know they'll take it somewhere else
unlike Gus Van--ah fuck the Psycho debate

Find Your Magali

But will they take it somewhere else just for the sake of taking it somewhere else?

I dunno. I just wonder where this remake can go. For me, Wonka is such a perfectly realized universe and set of performances, that I'm not sure I want to see a variation on the theme.

Nobody ever remake "The Wizard of Oz," did they?

I'm not saying that Wonka is as brilliant as Wizard, but I think it's just as unique.

Sleuth

Quote from: Find Your MagaliBut will they take it somewhere else just for the sake of taking it somewhere else?

I dunno. I just wonder where this remake can go. For me, Wonka is such a perfectly realized universe and set of performances, that I'm not sure I want to see a variation on the theme.

I'm not saying that Wonka is as brilliant as Wizard, but I think it's just as unique.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0078504/
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: Find Your MagaliNobody ever remake "The Wizard of Oz," did they?

Star Wars...

Find Your Magali

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: Find Your MagaliBut will they take it somewhere else just for the sake of taking it somewhere else?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0078504/

Oh, dear lord, "The Wiz"

(1) I feel like an ass
(2) There goes the 20 years of therapy to block out the memory of that flick

:(

MacGuffin

Burton on Chocolate Factory & Planet of the Apes 2
Source: Calgary Sun

The Calgary Sun talked to director Tim Burton who says he's unsure when Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will start.

"I have no idea when we'll begin on Willy. It will all depend on the script. I won't be tied down to a release date ever again." Burton says he chose Depp over actors like Michael Keaton because "he's always surprising and funny and right now he's a big star."

"Chocolate Factory" is being written by John August, who also wrote the screenplay for Burton's Big Fish.

Burton says he won't be involved in any sequel to his Planet of the Apes, which starred Mark Wahlberg. "No, no, no, never. After having made Batman Returns, I realized it's not a good idea for me to do sequels."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: Tim BurtonBurton says he chose Depp over actors like Michael Keaton because "he's always surprising and funny and right now he's a big star.
whats wrong with michael keaton?!?  he's not surprising and funny?  he's not a big enough star?!? who are you, the goddamn studio!?!?

Quote from: Tim BurtonNo, no, no, never. After having made Batman Returns, I realized it's not a good idea for me to do sequels.

WHATS WRONG WITH BATMAN RETURNS?!?!  uhh, tim i think you got it all wrong.  i think you need to realize after doing Planet of the Apes, its not a good idea for you to do REMAKES!!!  batman returns is classic, planet of the apes is junk!  whats wrong wiht you!??!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

I wish it was Christopher Walken doing Willy Wonka, because I do such a great impression of him as Willy Wonka...it's really great. I'll be sure to have it whatever movie I post on Xixax someday.
WWPTAD?

cine

I'd pay anything to see that in a theatre.

Gamblour.

Quote from: CinephileI'd pay anything to see that in a theatre.

Which? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Christopher Walken as Willy Wonka or my movie with me doing an impression of Christopher Walken as Willy Wonka?
WWPTAD?

cine