Catfish

Started by socketlevel, August 03, 2010, 12:51:48 AM

polkablues

Quote from: JG on November 19, 2010, 03:41:29 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I was playing a pick-up game with the brother from the movie, but I was having a bad game so I didn't think it a good time to ask him, YO HOW MUCH OF YOUR MOVIE WAS REAL? 

From what I've read, they tend to get kind of snippy and abusive when people ask them those questions at Q&As about the movie.  Frankly, I don't think it matters, the film is what it is, but I don't think it would hurt them to be a little more open about the issue.

EDIT: Shit, I've got the new page curse today.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

Saw the movie and there was a extensive Q and A with the maker. Its all real. and even if it isn't then they are all top notch actors.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alexandro

spending time while watching this wondering if it's real could really spoil it. ditto to watch a trailer or know anything about it before seeing it. as a film, whatever it is, it works so well. I laughed, I got moved, it went to a lot of places.

The Ultimate Badass

I recently saw this. Clearly, it's no more real than Blair Witch or Cloverfield.

There were some tender moments, but too much effort was expended selling the device at the expense of the very interesting story begging to be told. I was disappointed.

diggler

just saw it. I think it's real.

(spoilers)

some things were clearly amped up for the film (the nighttime visit to the farm, would you have honestly done that?) but it seemed pretty clear from the way the story unfolded that they didn't plan this. you can clearly tell in the beginning of the film that the brothers have only a feigning interest in the online relationship. once the mystery of the "song" unfolds they start to get more involved.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: ddiggler on January 30, 2011, 07:59:09 AM
...but it seemed pretty clear from the way the story unfolded that they didn't plan this. you can clearly tell in the beginning of the film that the brothers have only a feigning interest in the online relationship. once the mystery of the "song" unfolds they start to get more involved.

it's also called "acting," ddiggler, didn't you ever think of that?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

It's tricky.  I feel like the situation itself was real, even if their reactions to it were fake (as seems increasingly likely).

Stefen

I think the basis and majority of it were real, but once it stated unfolding I get the feeling it was scripted.

I was enthralled throughout, it's a shame this isn't getting more love.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Catfish, Exit Through the Gift Shop, I'm Still Here....

2010: The Year of the Documystery.

diggler

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on January 30, 2011, 09:54:14 AM
Quote from: ddiggler on January 30, 2011, 07:59:09 AM
...but it seemed pretty clear from the way the story unfolded that they didn't plan this. you can clearly tell in the beginning of the film that the brothers have only a feigning interest in the online relationship. once the mystery of the "song" unfolds they start to get more involved.

it's also called "acting," ddiggler, didn't you ever think of that?

that's just it. if the three brothers had been "acting" for the entire film, i would've believed it was a hoax. the fact that they're not on screen very much until something goes wrong doesn't strike me as something that was planned.

i think polka nailed it on the head. the situation that unfolded was real, they just realized that if they didn't react to it in a certain way (in this case sympathetically) they would have no movie.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

RegularKarate

SPOILERS

After the last time I posted here, I had a long conversations with a bunch of people who saw it and I'm pretty convinced that this is the situation:

The movie is "fake" up until the point that they confront her.
They figured out that she was lying very quickly.  They're just not stupid enough to fall for everything.  They decided to pretend that they didn't know she was lying and "uncover it" on camera.  Of course, they weren't going to get her in on faking the ending so all of that is real.