Capitalism: A Love Story - Michael Moore's latest

Started by MacGuffin, May 21, 2009, 06:27:58 PM

MacGuffin

Michael Moore's latest doc out Oct. 2
Overture, Paramount International distributing
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Michael Moore's movie about the economic fall will unspool during the fall boxoffice.

Overture and Paramount Vantage said Thursday the still-untitled documentary about the collapse of the world economy will bow domestically on Oct. 2. That's almost a year to the day that Congress passed the first U.S. economic stimulus package, officials noted.

The companies also provided more details about the film, announced at last year's Festival de Cannes. The pic will examine the "root causes of the economic meltdown," they said, as well as the "corporate and political shenanigans" that resulted in the financial crisis.

"The wealthy, at some point, decided they didn't have enough wealth," Moore said in a statement. "So they systematically set out to fleece the American people."

Overture CEO Chris McGurk and COO Danny Rosett dubbed the film's topic one that "everyone can relate to."

Paramount Film Group president John Lesher promised "dynamic insights into the state of the global economy."

Overture will distribute the film domestically. Vantage will handle it abroad through Paramount International.

Moore's most recent film was the 2007 health-care expose "Sicko."

--------------------------------------------------

Michael Moore doc gets release date
Filmmaker's take on economy set for Oct. 2
Source: Variety

Michael Moore's still-untitled documentary tackling the causes of the global economic meltdown has been slotted for an Oct. 2 release date.

Overture Films and Paramount Vantage, the co-financers and distributors, made the announcement Thursday, noting that the release date is a year and a day after the U.S. Senate voted to approve a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street.

The film is described as "a comical look at the corporate and political shenanigans" that culminated in what Moore has described as "the biggest robbery in the history of this country."

Film is Moore's first since "Sicko" in 2007. He's made three of the top six highest grossing documentaries -- "Fahrenheit 9/11," "Sicko" and "Bowling for Columbine."

"The wealthy, at some point, decided they didn't have enough wealth," Moore said in a statement Thursday. "They wanted more -- a lot more. So they systematically set about to fleece the American people out of their hard-earned money. Now, why would they do this? That is what I seek to discover in this movie."

Overture and Paramount announced the project a year ago, during the Cannes Film Festival, but were vague as to the project's theme beyond noting that it was coming from the same filmmaker who had delievered "Fahrenheit 9/11." As the project took shape, Moore decided to focus on the financial crisis.

On Feb. 11, the director posted an open letter on his website seeking "a few brave people who work on Wall Street or in the financial industry to come forward and share with me what they know ... be a hero and help me expose the biggest swindle in American history."

Overture's CEO Chris McGurk and chief operating officer Danny Rosett previously worked with Moore on the release of "Bowling for Columbine" at MGM/United Artists.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

First look: Michael Moore goes after Wall Street in next film 
By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY

Michael Moore wants his money back. Actually, he wants your money back, if you lost any in the financial meltdown.

And though he knows that probably won't happen, the filmmaker at least wants to stick it to the people who took it.

The still untitled film, which opens Oct. 2, will zero in on the corporations and politicians he says caused the global financial crash.

Wall Street robber barons are Moore's new on-screen enemy.

"The movie is not going to be an economics lesson; it's going to be more like a vampire movie," the filmmaker jokes. "Instead of the main characters feasting on the blood of their victims, they feast on the money. And they never seem to get enough of it."

When the collapse walloped the country last September, Moore says he knew not only that it would matter to regular people, but also that the inherent decadence was ripe for his style of satire.

"If you go to see my movies, even if you don't agree with everything in the movies, you're going to have a good laugh," Moore says. "I want them to walk out at the end saying 'Wow, that was something!' And in this case, maybe they also walk out asking the ushers, 'Um, excuse me. Where are the pitchforks and torches?' "
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Moore Wants You To Help Save The CEOs!
Source: MTV

Moviegoers looking to see "The Hangover" Friday got pranked by Michael Moore during the previews at the Lincoln Loews Plaza. In promoting his new movie about the economic crisis, which is untitled at this point, Moore pulled a little stunt in one of the theaters Friday while premiering his teaser trailer for the new movie.

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

theplaylist.com

This teaser wryly (with dripping sarcasm) asks the audience to donate money to our ailing financial institutions. "Ushers will be coming down the aisles to collect your donations for Citibank, Bank of America, AIG, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and a host of other needy banks and corporations. Won't you please give generously?" And then in a New York theater, where such a trailer screened (via Jeff Wells), kids in white shirts that read, "Save Our CEOs," came down the aisles to collect money, and Jesus H. Christ, people actually gave donated their dollars, which is just... wow, the level of stupidity is astounding... beyond comprehension (This wasn't in middle America either, this was in New York for fuck's sake). It actually makes us want to weep. If Moore gets wind of this shit, he'll probably give up.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Reinhold

Quote from: picolas on June 16, 2009, 01:14:35 AM
theplaylist.com

This teaser wryly (with dripping sarcasm) asks the audience to donate money to our ailing financial institutions. "Ushers will be coming down the aisles to collect your donations for Citibank, Bank of America, AIG, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and a host of other needy banks and corporations. Won't you please give generously?" And then in a New York theater, where such a trailer screened (via Jeff Wells), kids in white shirts that read, "Save Our CEOs," came down the aisles to collect money, and Jesus H. Christ, people actually gave donated their dollars, which is just... wow, the level of stupidity is astounding... beyond comprehension (This wasn't in middle America either, this was in New York for fuck's sake). It actually makes us want to weep. If Moore gets wind of this shit, he'll probably give up.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

for fucks' sake. let's hope they were tourists.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Neil

I'm just still shocked that NEW YORKERS would do this.  Yeesh. must be serious.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Neil

That pretty much sums up the blandness that is michael moore, and i ain't talkin' bout 'in praise of'
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

picolas

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Michael Moore unveils title of new doc
'Capitalism: A Love Story' to be released Oct. 2
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

More info:

Michael Moore unveils title of new doc
'Capitalism: A Love Story' to be released Oct. 2
Source: Variety

Michael Moore's opting to spoof romantic conventions in titling his upcoming documentary "Capitalism: A Love Story," which addresses the causes of the global economic meltdown.

"It will be the perfect date movie," Moore said in an announcement Wednesday. "It's got it all -- lust, passion, romance and 14,000 jobs being eliminated every day. It's a forbidden love, one that dare not speak its name. Heck, let's just say it: It's capitalism."

Moore and Overture Films had announced previously that the film would be released domestically on Oct. 2 -- a year and a day after the U.S. Senate voted to approve a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street. Paramount Vantage will handle international distribution.

The film is described as focusing on "the disastrous impact that corporate dominance and out-of-control profit motives have on the lives of Americans and citizens of the world."

Pic is Moore's first since "Sicko" in 2007. He's made three of the top six highest-grossing documentaries -- "Fahrenheit 9/11," "Sicko" and "Bowling for Columbine."

Overture and Par announced the project a year ago, during the Cannes Film Festival, but were vague as to the project's theme beyond noting that it was coming from the same filmmaker who had delivered "Fahrenheit 9/11." As the project took shape, Moore decided to focus on the financial crisis and issued an appeal in February for people working on Wall Street or in the financial industry to come forward and share what they knew.

"Be a hero and help me expose the biggest swindle in American history," Moore said at the time.

Overture CEO Chris McGurk and chief operating officer Danny Rosett previously worked with Moore on the release of "Bowling for Columbine" at MGM/United Artists.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal