Greatest Films Ever

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

ElPandaRoyal

The thing is, probably movies like Eyes Wide Shut mean the same to us that Citizen Kane meant to a lot of those critics and filmmakers when they were our age (at least I guess most of us are in their 20s/early 30s). And it's possible that when our generation is in the majority among these voters, stuff like Eyes will be closer to number 1, but younger generations will complain about our choices.It's gonna be like "What's this Master movie doing in number one? These guys are old farts!"
Si

Cloudy

QuoteIt's easier to pile on the praise received by Citizen Kane than to take the huge risk of being the first to champion the actual greatest movie of all time, Eyes Wide Shut.

Is your favorite film of all time actually Eyes Wide Shut? Pretty interesting choice.

Jeremy Blackman

We should have a new "best/favorite films of all time" poll with a minimum date of 1980 or something like that.

Reel

That's a good cut off point because some of my fave movies were made that year:

The Shining
Ordinary People
Friday The 13th
American Gigolo
Dressed to Kill

Oh, and this one

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2012, 06:53:11 PM
5. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1980)

my absolute favorite. best film of the 80's. Travis Bickle is the poster-child of that decade

Cloudy

Post 80's makes it kind of hard, but it's an interesting exercise:

Wings of Desire
Taxi Driver
There Will Be Blood
Tree of Life (soon I know, but it is what it is)
Punch-Drunk Love
Being There

No order

Reel

Robyn

Mine:

Paris, Texas
Breaking the Waves
Dancer in the Dark
Antichrist
Idi I Smotri
Pulp Fiction
There will be Blood
Punch-Drunk Love
Eyes wide Shut
The Free Will
Lovers on a Bridge

Reel

Quote from: CloudAuteur on August 07, 2012, 02:44:25 AM
Post 80's makes it kind of hard, but it's an interesting exercise:

Being There

'79, bro. Get your dates right. I'm actually more interested in what everybody's fave 80's films are.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Reelist on August 07, 2012, 07:07:24 AM
'79, bro. Get your dates right. I'm actually more interested in what everybody's fave 80's films are.

80s hmm? Alphabetical:

Aliens
Castle in the Sky
Fanny & Alexander
Full Metal Jacket
The Goonies
Heaven's Gate
Kagemusha
Labyrinth
The NeverEnding Story
Raging Bull
The Shining

There are lots of others, but these are the ones I watch on a consistent basis today. 

Also, some nitpicking here.  Taxi Driver released in 1976, not 1980.  Also, it's displayed as "80s" not "80's".  Think of it this way: eighties vs. eighty's. 

Reel

Quote from: Pwaybloe on August 07, 2012, 07:35:19 AM
Taxi Driver released in 1976, not 1980.

don't believe you. My favorite 80s movies:

Straw Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Deliverance
The Exorcist
the Texas chainsaw massacre

Pwaybloe

Oh Reelist... you're such a riot.

Pubrick

He's making fun of you because your nitpicking was unnecessary. He was well aware that taxi driver is not 1980, it was the idiots at sight and sound who listed it so on their directors list. What's not clear is that cloud auteur realises the mistake or legitimately believes taxi driver is one of his favourite post 80s films. It seems he was tricked by reelist's initial trolling.

On the subject of this new GOAT (post 1980) list, I think that's a great cut off as almost everyone who posts here was born after that date. Maybe a better list would be best film made since you were born.. but then we couldn't really tally the results fairly.

I'm 1983, but my post 80 gut list would be:

EWS
FMJ
THE SHIN

Fargo
The matrix

Magnolia
PDL
CMBB
Boogie

Breaking the waves
Up
The thin red line

The thin blue line
Capturing the Friedmans

L'argent
Fanny and Alexander
Pulp fic--
this is too hard. Let's just all say taxi driver and leave it at that.
under the paving stones.

Cloudy

don't believe you. My favorite 80s movies:

Straw Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Deliverance
The Exorcist
the Texas chainsaw massacre

I really dig your list Reelist...you bastard  :bravo:

Reel

Quote from: Pubrick on August 07, 2012, 10:13:49 AM

On the subject of this new GOAT (post 1980) list, I think that's a great cut off as almost everyone who posts here was born after that date. Maybe a better list would be best film made since you were born.. but then we couldn't really tally the results fairly.

I'm 1983

We're gonna have to really narrow down the criteria to go anywhere with this, so how about just pick ONE fav. movie from the year you ( or anyone else ) was born. That way we don't have to get all 'list crazy' and can get to know eachother a lil better in the process.

Child's Play

P's birthyear, '83

Body Double

modage

The Top 10's are hard to argue with but I think the Critics full Top 50 is kind of a joke the further you get towards the bottom.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time/

Something like 15 total American films out of 50?

And I have a hard time believing (no matter how good it is) that a Godard-directed documentary about film history is one of the 50 Greatest Films Ever Made.

As Pubrick said, since 1990 we've got 4 films? (Close-Up, Sátántangó, Mulholland Dr., In the Mood for Love) The last 22 years summed up that easily?

With 50 slots I'll bet we could come up with an overall stronger list even without reusing anything on here. So THERE, S&S critics.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.