Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: analogzombiehas anyone heard that the blonde annoying American actress is suppose to be Cameron Diaz?
yeah it was mentioned in the last six pages.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

I'm not sure who I like better: Spike Jonze or Sofia Coppola...probably Jonze, atleast he wasn't in Godfather 3.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

Does anybody else out there think Lost in Translation could be gearing up to be Annie Hall to The Lord of the Ring's Star Wars? Back in '78, everybody was convinced Star Wars -- the biggest film ever -- was going to sweep the Oscars...but along came a little film, a loved film about a doomed romance...and the upset was history...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

that would be interesting.  although i doubt it will happen because generally (or atleast recently) the best picture has not been one of my favorite films of the year.  also, i dont think rings has much of a chance either.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02also, i dont think rings has much of a chance either.
Whoa, what are YOU talking about? ROTK has its best chances out of the entire trilogy. It's undoubtably going to be one of the front-runners.

I would be elated if Lost in Translation won for Best Picture and pulls an Annie Hall. But this is not 1978 and Hollywood is not thinking like its 1978 either. It's a very refreshing thought but it's merely a pipe dream.

mutinyco

No, check it out: The Academy will give Peter Jackson Best Director for the trillogy -- but then give LIT Best Picture... :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Gold Trumpet

Mutinyco could be right. LIT just dominated the nominations for the Golden Globes, a major teller of what could happen at the Oscars.

mutinyco

-St. Joe

brockly

I only just saw it, and I absolutly loved it. Avoiding this thread for as long as I did really paid off. I hadn't seen the trailer and I was unaware of any plot details. All I had heard about the film was countless coments on how amazing it is. My expectations, which were through the roof, were met on every level. Just about every second of the film delivered and I haven't been as satisfied with an ending in a long time. Not having seen Scarlett Johansson in a role before made the film all the more enjoyable. She was incredible. It was hard not to fall in love with her. Cinematography was great, music was perfect, and Murray, who I've been a long time fan of, was terrific and pulled the role off wonderfully.

The only thing I didn't really like about the film, as Shaftr mentioned, was the party sequence. Charlotte didn't seem like that kind of person and the scene seemed to steer her character's development in the wrong direction. I'm sure someone can convince me otherwise. Anyway, everything else I LOVED. Brilliant film. Easily one of the best this year. 5/5

Pedro

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMutinyco could be right. LIT just dominated the nominations for the Golden Globes, a major teller of what could happen at the Oscars.
I watched a doc. on Trio last night about the golden globes....
anyone else see it?  i had no idea about all its "secrets"....

pissed me off.

Raikus

Quote from: Brock LandersNot having seen Scarlett Johansson in a role before made the film all the more enjoyable. She was incredible. It was hard not to fall in love with her.
Make sure to see Ghost World as well. She's supporting, but it's still a great film and shows her off.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ono

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMutinyco could be right. LIT just dominated the nominations for the Golden Globes, a major teller of what could happen at the Oscars.
I watched a doc. on Trio last night about the golden globes....
anyone else see it?  i had no idea about all its "secrets"....

pissed me off.
Care to expound?

Gold Trumpet

I know some of the bad facts about the Golden Globes, if I remember correctly, they were made for the celebration of an italian actress only. She had that big of an ego. The "foreign press" everyone talks about were just some guys in Hollywood who had no journalistic credibility or anything but just desire to be major players in Hollywood. Most of the success of the Golden Globes just rides off the fact Hollywood loves to admire and advertise itself.

Jake_82

Quote from: analogzombielooks like it really was all based on Sofia's relationship with Spike, they are getting divorced.

whaaat's this? I heard they wer having problems, I didn't know they were getting divorced. Where did you hear this?
your reality is at the end of your dream

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jake_82
Quote from: analogzombielooks like it really was all based on Sofia's relationship with Spike, they are getting divorced.

whaaat's this? I heard they wer having problems, I didn't know they were getting divorced. Where did you hear this?

Half way down:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231&start=75
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks