Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Punch

astonishing highlights cinematography of breaking bad
all edited by dave bunting

Season 1

http://vimeo.com/72319639

Season 2

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UKgJNiZ2C-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 3

http://vimeo.com/61847525

Season 4

http://vimeo.com/52028066

Season 5.1

http://vimeo.com/48781235

Season 5.2

http://vimeo.com/75787820

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

here are two interesting parallels from earlier seasons that i discovered during my recent series rewatch, i don't think these have been mentioned before, because they're almost unnoticable:

-  Jesse getting the house from his parents, Walt getting the carwash from Bogdan.

- Skyler putting the folded towel down under her feet on Ted's heated bathroom tile.

Reel

in season 3 there's the completely civil domestic dispute with the cops unable to do anything, Walt stands his ground. I like to think of what was running through their thick skulls when they found out what was actually going down. He fooled everyone.

Then he invites Louis over for dinner just as a ploy to squash the beef while there's guests around.

Quote from: Reelist on September 12, 2013, 12:28:17 AMdo we ever once meet Louis?

LOUISSSSS!!

I imagined him to be mexican. Maybe he's like Louis CK style. Anyways, what scene is this still from?

the one where i answered your question like months ago.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mel

On other hand I have been interested in alternative opening to Breaking Bad for some time.

Why Walter started with crack meth and not acid? Mid-20 white well educated people are primary consumers of LSD. Distribution and production of psychedelics is less organized compared to other drugs. Laboratory equipment for production of LSD is relatively small: he could fit it into the trunk of Pontiac. Hell there is high chance that Walt took LSD himself during his time at Caltech. Skyler could sell drugs for him through some black market website like Silk Road or something similar - she had experience with auctioning goods on web. Then just ship it through mail - LSD can take numerous forms and it is very hard to detect.

Yet that would be very different show, probably more similar to Weeds that Breaking Bad with exploration of psychedelic sub-culture. Still there would be plenty of space of drama - you can read about real life cases of LSD kingpins e.g. Leonard Pickard. I'm not the only one with such ideas, there are similar descriptions flying around. Bottom line is more sensible scenarios not necessary make better story.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

that was very interesting but i just have to say that meth is not crack, and i know this for a fact.

Brando

https://sites.google.com/site/tvwriting/

This site has just uploaded 8 scripts from the third season of Breaking Bad. It already had four scripts including the pilot and three more from season three. So it has the entire third season except for episode 2 and 4.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Sleepless

Just posted this on my blog: List of Every Breaking Bad Actor Who Was Ever in The X-Files.

If you feel so inclined, I would really appreciate a share on your social media platform of choice. Cheers.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

That completely blew my mind. Bravo.  :yabbse-thumbup:

N

Quote from: Brando on December 09, 2013, 02:23:42 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/tvwriting/

This site has just uploaded 8 scripts from the third season of Breaking Bad. It already had four scripts including the pilot and three more from season three. So it has the entire third season except for episode 2 and 4.

WAAAAAAH! The rear wheels spin air.... out stumbles underpants man... Right now, we'd step the fuck out of his way.

Vince must have been really excited for this.

©brad

The scripts are a fun read. Usually this type of explicit direction and explanation of character motivations is frowned upon but I think a lot of it was motivated by Vince not being on set for the majority of Breaking Bad's production. Or maybe it's just his style.

Tictacbk

This can't be how their scripts are actually written, can it?

Brando

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mel

Vulture TV Awards: Deadwood Creator David Milch on Why Walter White Is the Year's Best Villain
via Vulture

All this week, we're presenting the Vulture TV Awards, honoring the best in television from the past year. We move on now to Best Villain. It says a lot about the television cycle that things that aired less than a year ago feel like ancient history — but a list of TV events that are eligible not only for the purposes of our Vulture TV Awards, but also the upcoming Emmy Awards, would include the Dexter finale, Sharknado, and the Miley Cyrus performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. The final run of Breaking Bad also qualifies, and as Deadwood creator David Milch discusses here, Walter White is the year's best TV villain.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in all of television's kingdoms more heinous than Joffrey Baratheon. Or more devilish than Frank Underwood. Or more politely chilling than the eponymous Hannibal. For these characters, villainy is as much a vocation as avocation: Joffrey is a teenage tyrant; Frank is a scheming politician; and Dr. Lecter a sinister shrink. When villainy is a job requirement, why not delight in it?

But there is nothing inherently villainous about your mild-mannered chemistry teacher — the one who took a medical leave when he developed lung cancer. He's so nice, after all, and his family is so sweet. He's just like you and me, and we're not so bad. Are we? Walter White's transformation into the monster Heisenberg is compelling because he does bad things for good reasons. We might even do the same, if pushed far enough. We see a little of ourselves in him, and that's precisely why we should fear him most.

In the final season of Breaking Bad, Walter has completed that transformation and quit the business of blue meth. He's already shot, stabbed, poisoned, and bombed anyone who threatened his burgeoning empire. He's made more money than his family could ever need.

But with Hank and Jesse finally at odds with him, he still has things left to do. Though he doesn't wear the porkpie hat, he uses the different facets of his persona to manipulate those closest to him. He's Mr. White, the genteel teacher, when he has to convince Jesse to change his identity for everyone's protection. He's the helpless cancer victim and loving patriarch when Hank finally realizes the truth about his brother-in-law. His time is running out, Walter promises, and a pointless prosecution for a dying man will only harm his family. When those approaches fail, Walt is the brutal drug lord who plots to kill Jesse, implicates Hank in his own crimes, and leaves his wife bloodied and sobbing in front of their home after kidnapping their infant daughter. He turns his family against itself. In doing so, he reshapes the world around him so that everyone breaks bad.

Marie, never the bastion of sanity, Googles untraceable poisons when Walt doesn't follow her recommendation of suicide. Skyler eschews her own husband's moral standards and tries to convince Walt to finally murder Jesse. Even Walter's other protégé, Todd, is merely an extension of him. He adopted the brutality of his Uncle Jack and the Opie attitude of "Mr. White." When Todd and the Aryans leave Hank in a desert grave, torture Jesse, and murder Andrea, who is only guilty of unwittingly playing the pawn, it's not in spite of Walter, but because of him.

And then, in the wake of fleeing Albuquerque, Walter refuses the opportunity to save Skyler by surrendering to the police, claiming that he wants to ensure his family receives the remainder of his money. In reality, he can't accept that his empire has perished.

When Walter finally admits that he did it all — the meth, the money, the murders — because he liked it, because it made him feel alive, that vanity motivated him more than charity, it reflects how our own ostensible altruism is often just the lie we tell ourselves to excuse our dirtiest deeds.

He does attempt redemption. He comes out of hiding to ensure Skyler isn't punished for his crimes. He kills the Aryans and rescues Jesse. He succeeds at providing Walt Jr. with roughly $9 million. But he achieves these small acts of contrition through violence, or at least the promise of it. He's already doomed, and he shows how far each of us can fall.

Was Walter White the best villain on television this year? You're goddamn right.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...