What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Drenk

Succession!  :bravo:
Pristine writing, tragic and hilarious. And one of the best casts I've ever seen.

Ascension.

Alethia

I would expect no less from one of the creators of Peep Show.

Drenk

Ascension.

Fernando

Yes, Succession is amazing, it seemed a little odd or at least I didn't know exactly what the show wanted to be, then it took off and I'm glad I stuck with it because season 2 has started real strong, even better than one imo.

Jeremy Strong is so good, you can see that Kendall is so uncomfortable in his own skin and Matthew Macfadyen's character is like the complete opposite of Mr. Darcy, he wants to have it all but underneath is a cowardly bully.

wilberfan

Show of hands:  Who's up-to-date with the first 8 (!) of the 16 (!!) hours of COUNTRY MUSIC, A FILM BY KEN BURNS?

:waving:

Never followed country music to any extent, but I usually learn (more than I need to?) from these epics.  Glad for the break till Sunday to clear the ol' synapses. 

Fernando

As far as I know there's no thread for The Affair, the series just ended (lasted five seasons) but I'm still catching up on the last one.

Anyway, the whole series is really good and if you like good drama this is it, so in the last season Anna Paquin got a part and she is just incredible, all around there's good acting from all the cast but somehow I forgot how good Anna is and I just wanted to gush about her with you guys.

wilberfan

THE NAKED DIRECTOR (Netflix)

I've watched two episodes of this so far, and I'm enjoying it.  It kind of feels like a Japanese version of THE DEUCE crossed with MRS MAISEL.   The performances are a little broad sometimes, but it's flashy and slick and based on a true story, so I'm gonna see where it ends up.

https://youtu.be/KfGAFaAhH2U

Fernando

Is anyone watching The Outsider?

Six episodes in and so far loving it, looks like the best is yet to come.

This teaser is a bit spoilery but not so much, do not watch the trailers that followed.

Sleepless

Okay so hear me out... Wife and I are 6/10 eps deep in Mindy Kaling's take on Four Weddings & a Funeral and I've got to say it's one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a while. It's fun and addicting, and while I would almost stoop to calling it a guilty pleasure, it's actually better than that. Where that line is for you may vary, of course. But it is good. Most critically, it has what so many big screen rom-coms lacked: comedy. Take a gander, you might be pleasantly surprised. I was.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Wanna second that this limited series iz delightful^
I've rewatched it nearly three times...

Great ensemble cast, and HUGE fanservice for Richard Curtis fanz.

polkablues

Quote from: Fernando on February 10, 2020, 11:54:08 AM
Is anyone watching The Outsider?

Six episodes in and so far loving it, looks like the best is yet to come.

This teaser is a bit spoilery but not so much, do not watch the trailers that followed.

I just got caught up in time for the finale tomorrow. Great ensemble, and a rare example of a Stephen King adaptation that's true to the material but doesn't feel like ~{A Stephen King Adaptation}~. It's got the vibe of a prestige cable crime drama, which makes the fantastical elements that much more effective. A big theme of the story is our inability to process information that doesn't conform to our understanding of reality, and the sober, realistic tone of the show really brings that home. Ben Mendelsohn is fantastic, as always. Paddy Considine's southern American accent verges on cartoonish at times, but he's great, so I can look past it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

https://youtu.be/aoNloYTsH0Y

I generally don't do "slow & weird", but I'm hooked on this one after two episodes. Fingers-crossed that it stays on course. 

polkablues

Quote from: wilberfan on March 07, 2020, 06:05:31 PM
https://youtu.be/aoNloYTsH0Y

I generally don't do "slow & weird", but I'm hooked on this one after two episodes. Fingers-crossed that it stays on course.

Yep. Hold all my calls, I'm gonna be completely fucking obsessed with this show for the next little while.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Friendz, the show iz great sci-fi intrigue.
I made an Alex Garland thread so we can discuss his motifs and thematic lattices along with each episode ~

wilberfan

I've not actually watched any episodes (Episode 01 is queued up as we speak), but certain corners of the Interwebs seem to be quite agog over this one.

[edit]  Two episodes in.  Holy crap.  And I have a feeling this is only going to get weirder and weirder