The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

Cannes? Venice? TIFF? The Festival Route: We Run Down The Odds
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2012/03/festival-route-we-run-down-odds.html

Let me know if this seems to make sense...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

It makes sense, but it seems to hard to predict based on where his previous movies have premiered, because they've all done something different. And what The Weinsteins want to do with it will be a major factor as well. The reasoning for those guesses seem pretty solid, though.

I know it's definitely a long shot, but I'm hoping for a Cannes premiere, for purely selfish reasons.

Just Withnail

Quote from: matt35mm on March 30, 2012, 10:23:49 AM
I know it's definitely a long shot, but I'm hoping for a Cannes premiere, for purely selfish reasons.

well...

:yabbse-thumbup:

matt35mm

While I certainly hope that list is real, it's totally likely that it's not:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/did-the-2012-cannes-competition-lineup-just-get-leaked

There's some weird shit goin' on and nobody seems to know for sure, but that thing reads too much like somebody's wish-list, so I'm gonna hold out for the official announcement before blowing my wad.

Pozer

da French be April foolin

Cloudy

My buddy and I are planning on not watching ANY teaser/trailer/footage NOTHING of The Master, to walk into the cinema with absolutely no preconception/clue/visualization of what we are about to experience, to absorb the film in the greatest way.  I just thought it would be awesome if we got more people to do this with us, because it's going to HURT. It's more fun when we're being sadistic cinephiles together. =) :shock:

The first viewing of The Master (in a 70mm format) cinema only happens once in a lifetime. :yabbse-thumbup:

(going to be wacking it to the poster)

72teeth

sounds fun but i know the power of my own hype and i'd hate to Southland-Tales myself again...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

I would love to have this restraint. But I know it's impossible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

You're a smart Man, cloudy. I watched Magnolia for the first time blind, having only seen the trailer and it completely blew me away ( but that was on a VHS tape, not goddamned 70mm ). These days with having the internet and all, I just have to glom on to any piece of information available. It kinda makes me wish I only became aware of movies like two weeks before they came out, from the moment I saw the trailer and then read some little blurb in the New York Times, then sitting my ass in a theater and figuring it out for myself, but that would make the rest of the year torture!

So, I've already read the scripts for 'The Master' and 'Django Unchained' ( it's just too easy when you have material like that at your fingertips ) and last night I deliberately spoiled Cabin in the Woods for myself. Possible Spoiler It started with watching the trailer "because I at least gotta know what it's about..." and then I noticed Richard Jenkins wasn't anywhere to be seen, he was the main reason I wanted to see this, so what character does he play? I'll just look up the plot here and BAM.. it's ruined. I have a long history of self-sabotage.

Reel

They're just not popcorn movies, is all.

and its a shame you turned your back on Burger King because:

Quote from: MrBurgerKing on May 11, 2003, 10:05:20 PM
It's time to watch a PTA flick while eating a whopper with cheese with light mayo, onion rings and a medium orange soda. Nothing can stop me.

I wanted to hear what that experience was like for you. I imagine you'd just die right there in the theater, full of pure bliss. So maybe it's better you don't.

theyarelegion

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/movies/paul-thomas-anderson-film-may-be-about-scientology.html?_r=1">Paul Thomas Anderson Film May Be About Scientology (Joaquin's character now named Freddie Quell?) </a>

modage

Some good info hidden in there. Posted cigs&Vines.

1. During filming, the project was referred to as "untitled western."

2. Budget was approx. $30 million making it "larger, perhaps" in scope than "There Will Be Blood" (which had a $25 million price tag).

3. Joaquin Phoenix's character is now called Freddie Quell (was previously Freddie Sutton). He also shares "accidental similarities" with Paul's father. "The elder Anderson was a Navy vet who served in the Pacific during World War II, and, like Quell, was born about 90 years ago."

4. For the character of The Master (Philip Seymour Hoffman), Paul took inspiration from "the personalities behind cults and religious and pop psychology movements with roots in California. Those have included Aimee Semple McPherson, who used radio to evangelize in the 1920s; Werner Erhard, whose est movement swept California in the 1970s; and Jim Jones of San Francisco, whose followers drank the cyanide-laced Flavor Aid (not Kool-Aid) in 1978."

5. The Church Of Scientology is not publicly speaking out against the film. A rep says, "The Church only knows about the film what it has read in the press," and "We have not seen the film, so can't say one way or another."

6. Some have speculated that the suicides of "Punch-Drunk Love" artist Jeremy Blake and his girlfriend Theresa Duncan in 2007 prompted PTA to write the film. (They were allegedly harassed by Scientologists.) But a friend of Paul's says, "It's been in his head for years and years and years, probably 12 years," meaning around 2000 post-"Magnolia" era.

7. Bill Pohlad, the Minneapolis film financier who had backed "The Tree Of Life" provided "interim support while the filmmaker's crew scouted locations and otherwise prepared to shoot a movie" but "never intended to finance" the film. As we all know, Megan Ellison (and her Annapurna Pictures) shingle came to the rescue.

8. Perhaps most intriguingly, the film has evolved.

People on its periphery say the picture evolved, even as Mr. Anderson shot it.

The Potomac, which figures as Dodd's yacht, is grander than the converted cattle trawler once described in Mr. Anderson's script, though perhaps closer to Hubbard's Apollo, on which he cruised in the 1970s.

The mansion in Vallejo feels more imposing than what in the script is called Helen's House, the suburban home of a follower, played by Ms. Dern, who is party to some of the Master's deeper secrets.

In any case, those secrets will present challenges when the film is screened.

modage

chere mill

disappointing. but i am envious of this year's cannes attendees who will see the new films of michael haneke, abbas kiarostami, cristian mungiu, and david cronenberg.