The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: P Heat on June 10, 2011, 03:38:48 PM
^^
Me too, but lynch is getting old and seems like no one wants to work with such a crazy old man especially after IE.

The idea no one wants to work with Lynch is based on what? There are some directors who do have falling outs with every level of Hollywood and continuously fail at projects getting made. Lynch is nowhere near that radar. For now, all I can tell, he is not active in feature length films. It happens.

Stefen

Right now David Lynch is like a 10 year old girl. He REALLY wants to be a singer.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

P Heat

you have a point but, that was the feeling i got when i watch the "lynch" doc though with few exceptions to some people.

But the reason for Elswit's departure seems simple. When P.T delayed his project, he just looked for other work but now with the unexpected financing he can't just get out of his contracts. I'm sure he will not make the same mistake when P.T starts production on Inherent Vice which based on the story seems like it could be a companion piece to boogie nights :yabbse-smiley: so its right on his alley, unless P.T falls in love with Mr.Malaimare.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pozer

Inherent Vice definitely seems Boogie-like. more colorful. DP got to get it blue, blue, blue. let it bloom a bit and all that. Elswit gots to photograph Vice. he just gots to.

JG

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 10, 2011, 05:17:38 PM
Quote from: P Heat on June 10, 2011, 03:38:48 PM
^^
Me too, but lynch is getting old and seems like no one wants to work with such a crazy old man especially after IE.

The idea no one wants to work with Lynch is based on what? There are some directors who do have falling outs with every level of Hollywood and continuously fail at projects getting made. Lynch is nowhere near that radar. For now, all I can tell, he is not active in feature length films. It happens.

MAYBE THERE ARE JUST NO MORE FISH TO CATCH

john

Quote from: Pozer on June 10, 2011, 06:29:55 PM
Inherent Vice definitely seems Boogie-like. more colorful. DP got to get it blue, blue, blue. let it bloom a bit and all that. Elswit gots to photograph Vice. he just gots to.

So does that mean when we close our eyes we all imagine IV to look like a cross between Boogie Nights and The Long Goodbye? Then we all smile because it's like a big cinematic hug? Because that's what I do.

My smile will be even bigger, however, if that's not the case at all. Bring on the new shit!
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

JG's recent mania has been all kinds of electric.

Quote from: john on June 10, 2011, 06:57:34 PM
So does that mean when we close our eyes we all imagine IV to look like a cross between Boogie Nights and The Long Goodbye? Then we all smile because it's like a big cinematic hug? Because that's what I do.

I closed my eyes and those movies were there, but Aloha Bobby and Rose was there too(!).
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Stefen

Still waiting for JG to make a comment on the new PTA DP since he's probably the only one who has seen Tetro.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: S.R. on June 11, 2011, 03:42:53 AM
Still waiting for JG to make a comment on the new PTA DP since he's probably the only one who has seen Tetro.

I've seen and liked Tetro.  I thought the photography stood out.  When the mountains (mountains right?) were sparkling in Gallo's eyes, and the lights across his face as featured in one of the YouTube videos.  A lot of potential I think.  He sees himself as a risk taker and I see PT as a risk taker, and he's youngish and talented and still developing.  Potential for a great union.

But JG should still sound off, manic or not.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

socketlevel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 10, 2011, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: socketlevel on June 10, 2011, 08:32:26 AMSometimes autonomy isn't a great thing. It's good to have people who put you in check. just look at the new star wars, Lucas only had "yes" men around him. I think this problem applies to mainstream cinema as much as art house. Spike Jonze has had major input to keep charlie Kaufman's scripts a little more paletable. BJM and Adaptation both were way more out there before he put his fingers in it; imo for the better. I'm a strong believer that the more struggle you have with your art, different creative people discussing the material, and not one supreme dictator brings about better work.  Lynch needed someone to do that to ultimately cut down IE

Oh, I see what you mean. I completely disagree, though, and I'd like to see Lynch go even further than he did in Inland Empire.

I should have noted, this is a problem i find in mature directors. Fighting for final cut and clout can manifest bad things... because they end up getting what they wanted all along; yet maybe it was the fight itself that made for better cinema.
the one last hit that spent you...

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

The fights themselves seem just as likely to be potentially harmful to a director's film, e.g. catering to execs or test cards. But you may be right that the fighting spirit, i.e. the feeling you have to prove yourself, is beneficial. What other directors did you have in mind, besides Lynch and Scorsese?

socketlevel

Less Scorsese, but ya kinda.

Coppola definitely (if you listen to all his commentaries he even agrees and can see it in himself). In his early films he considers them a horrible experience, yet he thinks it's his best work.

Tarantino, i think a small budget and making it work has proven better narratives than big budgets and too much gloss. He had to fight for those. More financially than creatively.

Romero - just look at the dead series, you can see a slow degradation from Dawn.

I'm sure there are many more.

but look at Eisenstein or tarkovsky, they never stopped fighting. Eisenstein went into hiding because of his films. I'm not saying it leads to a better life, because it clearly doesn't. It just leads to better cinema. Art is endevor.

Now lynch on the other hand, has a pocket of american and european rich people that will toss him a little, and he's created a way to make films with such autonomy that it takes away what i'm talking about. more power to him, but it might be part of why he's not shitting mona lisas. Nothing left to prove.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

And then there's Hitchcock who didn't have to fight and made lovely films late in his career, Buñuel who seemed sometimes shackled in Mexico and then flourished with less friction and more personal control in France and made so many great films late in his career. Wim Wenders would disagree with you, and, speaking of Germany, Herzog continues to be interesting in his Hollywood films, but that has everything to do with Herzog and nothing to do with Hollywood.  Eisenstein and Welles engaged in endless struggles, but it seems to have damaged a lot of their output, and cinema suffers for the fools who sought to control them.  Tarkovsky fought the good fight, and it wasn't the fight that made his films better, it was Tarkvosky, who possessed the sacred rage of an artist.

socketlevel

Then their finding it somewhere else. I guess to each his or her own. I find myself gravitating toward that struggle, and usually when i can see it in someone's work it is all that much more rewarding.

Gold Trumpet

Stop the generalizing, please.