The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

Also from the imdb boards...

Can anyone who has read the earlier script confirm/deny it's similarities to this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_Blood
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1106313753/
(it's a Criterion, ahhhhhhhhhhh)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

I gotta see that, I love Flannery O' Connor, and Brad Dourif, if you can say that in the same sentence.

Pubrick

John houston again..

That's great that someone identified a possible influence, there's always at least one major cinematic precursor to his films.. either a movie he has been obsessed with or a director he is trying to emulate. He had a long Altman phase and then tati for pdl, treasure of Sierra Madre which he would watch every day and for cmbb now possibly this dude again.

Good spotting imdb guy.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Wise Blood is available on Hulu +.

Someone get that kid from imdb.com to post here. Call him up to the majors.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

i've always thought Wise Blood (movie) was right up PTA's alley. as wilderesque pointed out it's strange tone always struck me as something he'd FOR SURE be into. the name Hazel Motes alone is very PTish. surprised it's never been one of his recs.

love the book + movie, never once have i tied either together with this. angry lost soul returns from war, proclaims to anyone he comes across he's starting up his Jesusless church, the conman who sees $$ in such a religion involving a false prophet...

alright i'm convinced................There Wise Be Blood.

Stefen

Quote from: Pozer on May 17, 2011, 11:49:44 PMalright i'm convinced................There Wise Be Blood

haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Wise Blood is more quirky then I expect the Master to be though...

Fernando

that promo art is great, looks ChereMill-ish. it's like the master is watching from a distance when the oil well was on fire.

P Heat

latest news made my day  :yabbse-grin:

personally i can't wait till P.T is finished with the film and starts giving interviews, i love the charlie rose ones.

BTW anyone think there should be a megan ellison appreciation thread for making this possible?
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pas

Quote from: P Heat on May 18, 2011, 01:12:36 PM
BTW anyone think there should be a megan ellison appreciation thread for making this possible?

Good idea, we could post tabloid shit about her and everything.

P Heat

:yabbse-grin: :yabbse-thumbup:

so much for it I guess.. lol
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

RegularKarate

So, my predictions have been a little off, but we're still at least kind of on track:

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM
And we start the pattern of crazy again...

1.) PTA will mention what books he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and read them.  Love them.
We haven't heard about books.  This might have been more for CMBB, but then again, I'm not going to put it past anyone to go out and read Dianetics

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM2.) PTA will mention what movies he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and see them and come back, wondering why he chose those...mild disappointment.
So, we've kind of touched on this with Wise Blood except people are just assuming he's influenced by this so far and everyone seems to like it.

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM3.) Screenplay will slowly leak.  People will read it, come back and tell everyone it sucks, it's boring, "W the fuck?"
This happened much earlier.  Threw things off, but the revised screenplay will leak soon enough and people will wonder about the changes.

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM4.) Teaser Poster comes out... work of genius... everyone will reference it in every thread here.
Okay, that's just a promo poster... but it's a step in the right direction.

For the record, heres the rest of the list:
Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM5.) Teaser trailer will come out, everyone will watch it a million times, jizz all over, tell everyone that hated the screenplay to suck a D.

5.) Official Release Poster will come out.  Everyone will hate it, screenplay jerk will be all "told you so".

6.) Official trailer will come out.  Amazing.  Screenplay jerks take it back.

7.) Movie comes out... two people will hate it... everyone else loves it.  One line will get quoted over and over.

8.) That line gets so over-quoted and referenced that the people who originally started quoting it will go back and erase original posts in which they quoted said line.  Then they'll say how much they hate it when people quote that line.

9.) Brett Ratner

mogwai

Yesterday I read in a swedish newspaper (Aftonbladet) that PTA is interested in having swedish actress Lena Endre in "The Master". She is quoted as that she'd love to work with him. This how she looks like:

A m/gilf sort of.

Pas

Your new avatar is beautiful Christian.

RK: your on pace for a pretty acurate prevision there.