The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Reel

YOU MEAN WE GET BOTH!?  :shock: I think I might cry

Kellen

YES!  What a nice surprise.

Pozer

Stefen

So if we only get one, which do we want?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

I find myself waaay more drawn to Inherent Vice, even though I don't know WTF it's about. It just seems like his sprawling, laid back Jackie Brown sort of thing and it just seems like it'd be funny and very visual ( again IDK WTF it's about )

but The Master just has to be done. I want to see him enter territory he hasn't been in before. I sort of know what that's about and I'm kind of bored by the subject matter really, I'm not even gonna read the script I just wanna see what he'll do with it. Really looking forward to PSH on his bullshit again.

Gold Trumpet

I wondered if the reason the Master fell through was financial, but the original article made it seem like it was creative. Maybe it was creative and when Anderson languished on the process, he lost the money as well...I don't know, but its hopeful news that a young billionaire is ready to invest in his projects. Yet, it also sounds like a convenient article to write by naming two projects he's been attached to so I will keep a level of skepticism to its authenticity.

Pubrick

this is amazing news (was my reaction when i heard it about it a few days ago..) but what's really cool is that these films already will have a great behind the scenes story to be told. i mean what is really going on when the greatest director of his generation is still having trouble finding finance? there must be something going on here.. $35 million is NOT much by modern movie budget standards, especially when EVERY major actor in the business wants to work with him..

in the 70s there was so much drama behind the scenes and so many great stories came out eventually about the debauchery or really cool back stories to movies getting made.. i imagine PTA wining and dining BILLIONAIRES trying to find one that will want to be his patron.. he's thinking long term here.. he can't just be living film to film on the whim of some asshole studio exec who is only thinking of covering his own ass.

that's PTA again learning from kubrick again.. the reason old Kubes managed to sustain an amazing career, Napoleon notwithstanding, is that he got warner bros to be his sugar daddy. i have no idea who this megan ellison chick is but if she goes through with it she will immortalise her name forever as being responsible for some of the best works of art to be created. but seriously WHY can't he raise $35million?  even with RDjr attached? some intrepid journo better get to the bottom of this and publish a hard hitting expose on what is really going on in the back rooms of hollywood.

oh that's another thing, as i've said before, if pta wants to be artistically free PTA needs to get the fuck out of america.
under the paving stones.

Pas

This had to be Larry Ellison's daughter. His son produces films too. They look like kinda douchy people but hey whatever if they finance this, it's all good.

These two are heir to a 25g fortune btw

tpfkabi

Quote from: P on February 14, 2011, 02:06:38 AM
i mean what is really going on when the greatest director of his generation is still having trouble finding finance? there must be something going on here.. $35 million is NOT much by modern movie budget standards, especially when EVERY major actor in the business wants to work with him..

This has been mind boggling to me that he can't get a project made even at that price...or is it Scientology secretly ruining everything for him.. muhahahaha
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

socketlevel

Considering all the off-again on-again status with "the master" I've decided to read a bit of the script that was posted by Marty on this thread.

I'm on page 23 and I'm curious, how early was this draft? there are so many typos in it that it seems to not only be PTA's first draft, but a leak so early he hadn't even used spell check yet.

is there any speculation i missed in regard to how early this draft is and if it's changed considerably since it was posted?
the one last hit that spent you...

ono

PTA's not known for being a great speller or grammatical wizard.  His scripts are typically littered with bastardizations of the English language.

socketlevel

for sure, in dialog it makes sense. however, there seems to be straight-up letters missing that should be in words.

my use of grammar and spelling (you might remember elk lawls) isn't consistent myself. but when i do a spell check, it covers the mistakes I'm seeing in this script.

ono

Nah, I'm not really talking about diction or dialect either.  Dude can't type/spell.  So what, though?

socketlevel

naw nothing, it just made me think it might have changed considerably because for all i knew it was his first pass.

socketlevel

***SPOILS***

Ok so i finished the script at work today. I really enjoyed it. It touched on a lot of the research I've done on Scientology, yet the way it depicts/exposes this information is hidden enough that it works without beating it over your head. Let's not be confused, this script is %110 Scientology based. I also like how PTA has obviously done a ton of research on the matter, down to using the term "squirrel" in the correct way. Those little touches not only cements what the film is about, but also works as great trivia. He even captured L.R.H.'s tone, if you listen to interviews with him from the 60s you'll see he was quite a funny guy; very charming. The obsession with the sea is also there, and the adventure seeking boy inside the Master is perfect, and true to the real man. There are so many other great moments that mirror the past, but I won't go on and on about it.

The auditing scene was my favorite. It really was enlightening to see the master work his subversion while being a believer himself.

I felt the script walks a very fine line, explaining to people the ills of Scientology, while at the same time showing it's strength. I have often thought maybe L.R.H. had some insights into the human condition, and if Scientology had stayed a self help program, as it was when dianetics was first published, then it probably could have done some good. After all the research I did for my thesis, i was left with an overwhelming thought that L.R.H. started off trying to solve his problems, and used these teachings to educate others, but somewhere along the way when he had nothing left to teach he started exploring the "why"; all the alien shit, fueled by drugs, delusion and his science fiction career came later. In an effort to keep producing more and more material he had to push the "truth" further and further from reality. This script captures that insanity. It's a goal oriented religion, with many levels of enlightenment, which leads to a lot of monetary income for the church.

I really like the arch of the protagonist, how something can be brought into your life and fix your issues, but soon the method itself becomes the problem. That doesn't mean some of the self help methods weren't an asset at one point, it just means even the human interaction with enlightenment can become corrupted. Freddie walks away from the church, to end up being someone that uses all of it's teachings.

interested to see if the script has been changed, and what the final product looks like. in my mind's eye i kept seeing a coen brothers film for some reason, it had that quirkiness throughout.

The protagonist, Freddie, seems to mirror Haggis' story in many ways:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all