The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Ordet

Quote from: I Love a Magician on June 08, 2010, 08:07:16 PM
TWBB made more at the box office (worldwide) than fantastic mr. fox and wild things combined

thanks next time i'll check my numbers first. I'm pretty sure CM has done pretty well with tv sales, I've seen it on hbo, maxprime and even dubed in spanish in some new latin movie channel I can't remember. It's a sin to dub that movie.
were spinning

Pas

Pubrick

i beg to differ. precedent was established on page 6 of this thread:

Quote from: Sleepless on December 05, 2009, 02:42:56 PM
Was just rewatching CM the other night, it is so funny.

which prompted Cine to say the following:

Quote from: cine on December 07, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
its ridiculous that i see somebody say "CM" and i instantly accept that as "There Will Be Blood".

everyone pretty much agreed that it was a riduculous (but not unacceptable) shortening of the existing abbreviation. then a newb asked what the letters mean, and i obliged with a thorough retelling of the backstory.. all this was followed immediately by YOU posting this:

Quote from: Pas on December 07, 2009, 07:21:34 AM
haha I PMed stefen a couple days ago to ask him what it was all about

good 'birth of a gag' story, I like the devotion in it, I think kids should look it up.

this has been another flashback brought to you by pubrick's flashbacks for fish-heads.. The More You Know Remember!
under the paving stones.

Pas

oh demon alcohol
memories I cannot recall,
who thought I would fall
a slave to demon alcohol

- Ray Davies/Pas

pete

sometimes studios put up with expensive indie/arthouse films because they want to establish a relationship with the new directors and have some extra change floating around after a few summer tentpole films.  PTA is not a new director and times are pretty hard right now for the studios, which is putting strain on every film ever, not just on PTA.  I don't believe his situation is unique.  But, for a routine story like this to be reported, it means a) it's fun for film journalists to shit on successful likable directors and their typical luck and b) someone somewhere wanted to put some sort of pressure on this project.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

Deborah Ann Woll Confirms Talks For Paul Thomas Anderson's Untitled Religious Drama; PTA Still Working On Script

Despite only playing a supporting role in the popular increasingly campy HBO series "True Blood," Deborah Ann Woll looks to have caught the eye of Hollywood with the actress now confirming talks between her and Paul Thomas Anderson about his upcoming untitled religious drama.

Woll was originally reported to be one of three actress along side Amanda Seyfried and Emma Stone being eyed for the role of Elizabeth, the daughter to the lead character to be played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, with the interest now evidently leading to early discussions of some sort.

"There's nothing official," Woll told Movieline. " [But] I will say that I have talked with him, and he's very nice. I don't think we or he is anywhere near making a decision — I think he's still working on the script, so he's got that job to do. There's really nothing official there, it's just some interest that he and I both have."

The actress is certainly capable of holding her own shining amongst the talented likes of Anna Paquin, Stephen Moyer and Alexander Skarsgard in "True Blood." She'd be a great fit, we think, along side Hoffman and Jeremy Renner, who is attached to play his troubled protege Freddie Sutton.

However, as Woll affirms, speculation should probably be set aside for now as it's only early days in the project's development with PTA evidently still tinkering on the script, which is not a surprise considering the draft that leaked earlier this year was incomplete, featuring lots of placeholders that needed to be filled in. A June start was briefly and erroneously mentioned but with Hoffman's imminent schedule seemingly clearing up (and a directorial stint at Cate Blanchett's Sydney Theater Company due to begin in October) and Renner having passed on the August shooting "Battleship" for it, a late summer start is probably not out of the question for the River Road production just yet.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

wait, so Renner is IN again?

he's flipped so many times i don't remember what the last flip landed on.
under the paving stones.

blackmirror

perhaps it is hoping too much that barbara harris would prorogue her retirement and appear in this film...

bluejaytwist

just spoke to paul @ largo. sounds like august is the date that shit starts. boom.
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2010/07/exclusive-master-set-to-shoot-very-soon.html
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

Pubrick

Quote from: bluejaytwist on July 15, 2010, 01:43:52 AM
just spoke to paul @ largo. sounds like august is the date that shit starts. boom.

your first bona fide scoop since site resurrection.

good job!
under the paving stones.

bluejaytwist

thank you sir. maya and armisen were there. everyone was wonderfully toasted. it was lovely.

fortyfps productions

polkablues

So is Renner for sure in?  I don't think we've gotten a real confirmation of that yet.
My house, my rules, my coffee

bluejaytwist

we didnt get into that. might be seeing him and albert again this week.
i am terrified this was secret news. forgive the vagueness of everything.
i just try to talk normally and not be too 'interview'ish - which sucks cuz thats supposed to be the point...
but...

(ps: thanks for the news link above but the link is currently muddled)

fortyfps productions

Stefen

Christmas 2011 seems like a good release date.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: bluejaytwist on July 15, 2010, 02:19:51 AM
(ps: thanks for the news link above but the link is currently muddled)

fixed!

let's hope it wasn't so ultra secret that this ends up being the last bit of ptanderson.info you ever get.
under the paving stones.