voting for the Xixax Dekapenticon

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 05:05:36 PM

ono

Quote from: themodernage022 fucking spike jonze and NO spielberg is really rubbin me the wrong way.  i mean, shit i saw both jonze films in the theatre and bought em and everything, but ALL TIME!?  i can only imagine like others that the spielberg vote is all over the place since he has so many great films.  cause that shit aint right!
Well, I mean, PTA got in with three, and Kubrick got in, and Scorsese got in, and the Coen Brothers got in.  That tells you something ain't right with Spielberg, because, well, none of his films are great enough to be "best ever."  They're all "too-something."  Too manipulative, too Peter-Pan, etc.  But I can sympathize with the Jonze thing.  He doesn't hold a candle to some of the other directors up there, so it's really shocking that two such admirable-yet-broken films got on the list.

Quote from: SHAFTRThose older critics have decades more experience.
Maybe so, but age doesn't equal wisdom.  I've seen a lot of the "classics," but still have a LONG ways to go on my list to be caught up.  But even with that cross-section of the ones deemed most important, it's just that the film industry is so incredibly evidently like the computer industry: progress is made so rapidly that older films just can't hold up to the innovations (not just technological), but in quality of writing and creativity of directing and cinematography and other filmic techniques.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: themodernage022 fucking spike jonze and NO spielberg is really rubbin me the wrong way.  i mean, shit i saw both jonze films in the theatre and bought em and everything, but ALL TIME!?  i can only imagine like others that the spielberg vote is all over the place since he has so many great films.  cause that shit aint right!
Well, I mean, PTA got in with three, and Kubrick got in, and Scorsese got in, and the Coen Brothers got in.  That tells you something ain't right with Spielberg, because, well, none of his films are great enough to be "best ever."  They're all "too-something."  Too manipulative, too Peter-Pan, etc.  But I can sympathize with the Jonze thing.  He doesn't hold a candle to some of the other directors up there, so it's really shocking that two such admirable-yet-broken films got on the list.

well when you think of BEST EVER nnneither can PTA, or coens.....be on that list

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02i can only imagine like others that the spielberg vote is all over the place since he has so many great films.

Not really. Think Schindler's List.

Personally I think it's funny that he didn't make the list.

Not that Schindler's List isn't a great movie.

modage

i didnt think Jaws was too Peter Pan, (although Hook may have been), but oh well.  i've seen every movie on there except My Life To Live, which i hadnt even heard that much talk about on here except for a few mentions.  there must've been some sort of campaigning going on!  also upset that Billy Wilder didnt make the list.  glad that Hard Eight didnt, cause c'mon we're not that psycho here.  also of the directors forums we have here Cameron Crowe, Steven Soderbergh and apparently Steven Spielberg are the least deserving.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Onomatopoeia

Quote from: SHAFTRThose older critics have decades more experience.
Maybe so, but age doesn't equal wisdom.  I've seen a lot of the "classics," but still have a LONG ways to go on my list to be caught up.  But even with that cross-section of the ones deemed most important, it's just that the film industry is so incredibly evidently like the computer industry: progress is made so rapidly that older films just can't hold up to the innovations (not just technological), but in quality of writing and creativity of directing and cinematography and other filmic techniques.

but they have seen films in progression, that makes a difference.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

::typical ffannboy reactionnn:

It's Sidney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....nah,   i agree w/ you also...

ono

Quote from: themodernage02i didnt think Jaws was too Peter Pan, (although Hook may have been), but oh well.
Minority Report, A.I., E.T., and even Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me if You Can were, IMO.

Quote from: themodernage02i've seen every movie on there except My Life To Live, which i hadnt even heard that much talk about on here except for a few mentions.  there must've been some sort of campaigning going on!  also upset that Billy Wilder didnt make the list.  glad that Hard Eight didnt, cause c'mon we're not that psycho here.
Yeah, this turn of events really makes me want to see My Life to Live.  (And I was rooting for Hard Eight to get up there, too -- shh, don't tell!)  I like Billy Wilder, but Sunset Blvd. and Some Like it Hot were just too campy for me.  A shame I forgot about Double Indemnity, though, when I was voting.  But I have no clue if I'd be able to fit that one in anyway.

Quote from: themodernage02also of the directors forums we have here Cameron Crowe, Steven Soderbergh and apparently Steven Spielberg are the least deserving.
Agreed, except Soderbergh is often brilliant.  He just has yet to make a film to truly blow anyone out of the water after sex, lies, and videotape.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02Steven Soderbergh

It is disappointing that he didn't make it. But with him there really is vote splitting. I think I was the only person who voted for Full Frontal.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaA shame I forgot about Double Indemnity, though, when I was voting.  But I have no clue if I'd be able to fit that one in anyway.

It wouldn't have made a difference.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: NEON MERCURY::typical ffannboy reactionnn:

It's Sidney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....nah,   i agree w/ you also...
actually it's sydney. sum fanboy u are.
under the paving stones.

aclockworkjj

wait...can i still pick 15 of these shit ass loser picks you guys came up with?  or did you have to vote to begin with?  (sorry if it's been answered..)

Gold Trumpet

I just remembered that SoNowThen was going to go on a rampage if The Conformist didn't make it. Maybe he can be relieved to know that My Life to Live did make the list and nothing from Speilberg at all.

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjwait...can i still pick 15 of these shit ass loser picks you guys came up with?  or did you have to vote to begin with?  (sorry if it's been answered..)

Translation: Can I still vote for "Amelie"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

so of all the ones we initiallly voted for,  if in the 'final vote' our first votes arent all ones that we nominated, (as in 9 of my picks made the list, if my first 9 of my 15 'final votes' arent those movies) than i am a liar.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

well.....sixteen of my choices are on that list.....

and    .....P    touche. :wink: