Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

Alethia

i agree.  it can't touch the greatness of the simpsons, but i still love watching it.

Quote from: Gamblor Posts Drunk
Episode where Brian fucks Pewterschmidt's (sp) dog while on the race track

the funniest FG moment is in this episode.  for those who haven't seen it, it has to do with time travel.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pas Rapport
That reminds me of that time I read Shakespeare... I was like : "GOSH THAT'S SO LIFTED FROM SOME GREEK TRAGEDY"

I think dog on dog action on a race track is a little more specific than Bill reworking Pyramis and Thisbe (reread this, but pretend Dennis Miller is saying it).
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

I still laugh occasionally at these new ones (both FG and AD), but it's the same way I snicker every once in a while at King of Queens and Everybody Love Raymond when they're on in the background.

And seriously... who catches shit the third time around with a Family Guy episode?  Are you narcaleptic?  are you falling asleep during the episode?  Is that why?

tpfkabi

Quote from: ewardi agree.  it can't touch the greatness of the simpsons, but i still love watching it.

Quote from: Gamblor Posts Drunk
Episode where Brian fucks Pewterschmidt's (sp) dog while on the race track

the funniest FG moment is in this episode.  for those who haven't seen it, it has to do with time travel.

the funniest moment from that episode to me is when Petwerschmidt and Brian are standing behind Seabreeze and he asks him if he can feel the heat coming from her genitalia.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Fox preps 'Family Guy' direct-to-DVD movie
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Seth MacFarlane is preparing his long-awaited direct-to-DVD "Family Guy" movie for a Sept. 27 release by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

"It's been an enormous undertaking to juggle this with doing 35 new episodes of the show, but we think it turned out great," MacFarlane said of the film, his first full-length feature.

The 83-minute, unrated "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story" ($29.98 ) is based on the animated series MacFarlane created for Fox Television in the late 1990s. The irreverent series, aimed at adults rather than kids, went on the air in early 1999 and was canceled in 2003, only to be resurrected last month after an overwhelming demand for the show on DVD.

The first DVD set sold more than 2.5 million units, the second-highest sales tally of any TV-DVD release behind the first season of "Chappelle's Show," and two subsequent packages lifted the "Family Guy" franchise's total sales to about 4.5 million units.

That prompted Fox to take the unprecedented step of bringing back the show. The new season debuted in May and has since featured a bevy of guest voices, including Drew Barrymore, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Tilly and Adam West.

"Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin" is something of a thank you to the show's fans who bought so many DVDs, MacFarlane said. "Fox had such a great amount of success with the previous DVD releases that I think they felt there was a built-in, surefire market for a 'Family Guy' DVD," he said. "It's also a lot easier to put out a DVD release than it is a theatrical film while you're doing a television series."

The movie finds Stewie, the maniacal baby genius, having a near-death experience that prompts him to change his ways. Instead of seeking to dominate the world, he sets out on a road trip to find his real father.

Guest vocal talent includes Barrymore and Ron Livingston, as well as three cast members of "Beverly Hills, 90210" -- Jason Priestley, Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling -- "in a special gag," MacFarlane said.

The DVD will include several special features, including deleted scenes, still galleries, animatics and a commentary from MacFarlane.

"We also sandwiched special features around the movie," he said. "It begins with an animated movie premiere, with the family arriving to watch it, and then there's an after-party at the end."

Fox is planning the biggest marketing campaign ever for a TV-spawned release, according to division worldwide president Mike Dunn. Plans include national print and TV advertising as well as a viral marketing campaign targeting college students at bars, clubs and fraternity parties; special screenings will be held for college students.

The release is a big deal for Fox, Dunn said. "It's the first direct-to-video ever made off a television franchise," he said.

Fans of the show "have really gotten into the habit of buying it on DVD, and this is a prime opportunity to give it to them directly -- and at the same time give retailers something to flag enthusiastically," Fox senior vp marketing communications Steve Feldstein said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

after the first few episodes American Dad finally hit it's stride.
last night's episode had an Emperor Palpatine-esque Karl Rove(sp?) helping Stan to become deacon of the church.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

I think the boy, Steve, has the most well written storylines. Every single one has been about the same, but all well done. But some of the show's jokes are fucking HORRIBLE. e.g. Laurence Fishburne...so stupid.
WWPTAD?

modage

Title: Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin
Released: 27th September 2005
SRP: $29.98

Further Details
Fox has today announced the DVD premiere of Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story (Unrated), featuring brand new, never before seen content. The eighty-three minute feature focuses on Stewie, the maniacal baby genius, who goes on an incredible journey which leads him to discoveries far more vile and shocking than anything found in his diaper. The extended show will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with an English Dolby Surround track. Extras will include an alternate "unrated" audio track, an audio commentary (the participants are yet to be confirmed), a making of featurette, an animatic comparison, and previews for Family Guy Season 4 and American Dad. Stay tuned for the artwork.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Smacks of trying too hard IMO.  Eighty-three minutes of a mockumentary on Stewie?

squints

So the jiminy glick dvd reference in last sunday's episode was beyond funny, is there a thread for the glick movie?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

http://treyparker.info/articles_exclaim_31may05.htm

What's the meanest thing ever said to you before, during or after a gig?

Matt Stone: When people say to me, 'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That fucking hurts so bad.

Trey Parker: Very well said. It's such a kick in the balls. And the other one is, 'Oh my God, it's those guys from BASEketball.' Which happens a lot.

Weak2ndAct

Saw the FG movie-- which is no mockumentary.  It's three episodes that have a Stewie through-line (all 3 will air in shorter, tamed-down versions in the near future).  The dvd has a added beginning and ending, which is a movie premiere and an afterparty.

While I enjoyed it (I am an FG fan and think they've gotten better every year), it's really a blown opportunity.  They really could have went bananas with this, but sadly, it does feel like three eps strung together at parts (the B-stories make this most apparent).  Yeah, some F-Bombs are dropped, but few and far between.  Though it does have an amazing Ferris Bueller homage which has me smiling just thinking about it.

If you don't wanna pay for it, it's on the 'net, just look around (which also seriously depresses me-- I mean God, this is the whole movie in perfect quality).

so , did the season got any good later?  this is very funny  : http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/33634/
context, context, context.

squints

the season (IMO) was consistantly funny and i had no problem sitting through the 83 minute movie. Chris's jokes always fall flat and i think they rammed that whole "greased-up deaf guy" joke into the ground. One of my favorite points of this new season was to see Mike Henry's "Kicked in the Nuts" gag, that was a great joke whose origins probably flew over most of the audience's head but it was still funny even if you hadn't seen the short internet clip. Essentially, i've always found family guy to be perfect short attention span theater and it does its job in every episode i've seen (which is all of them) jokes piled on jokes at such a fast pace. No other comedy show has anything close to the FG cutaway, the funniest jokes come out of nowhere when one character says "You remember that time..." and we cutaway to see one or more of the family members in some obscure setting, sure some of the jokes are lame and i've finally come to realization that nothing can compare to the simpsons but no other show on tv makes me laugh harder than family guy

everyone should see the dvd if only to see stewie driving through the desert all hopped up on trucker speed
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

Quote from: squintsNo other comedy show has anything close to the FG cutaway, the funniest jokes come out of nowhere when one character says "You remember that time..." and we cutaway to see one or more of the family members in some obscure setting

Arrested Development's cutaways are much funnier, and they don't overstay their welcome.  And they actually are somewhat tied into whatever is happening in the show at that moment, unlike FG where "you remember the time when" is just a poor excuse to cut to some random gag.