Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

tpfkabi

supposedly the full band soundchecked PT in Mexico - i haven't heard a bootleg though or know if one exists.

i'm still wondering what the song i heard in Houston soundcheck was.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

On Radiohead's 'Harry Patch (In Memory Of)'

This is how it works in Radiohead's world these days. Things seem quiet and then, sure, a brand new song is out and available at 320 kbps for a pound (that $1.70 for those on this side of the Atlantic), with proceeds benefiting the British Legion.

So, we can't name our price this time around, but is it still worth the coin?

Full of swooning, end-title strings, this is not the Radiohead for those wedded to the band's skittering glitch-rhythms or Jonny Greenwood's shape-shifting guitar. In fact, there's no guitars, drums or "rock" elements at all.

This is Radiohead in symphony, Thom Yorke's angelic voice on a battlefield's midnight clear. Dedicated to Britain's last survivor of World War I (and not an impressionistic callback to microtonal composer Harry Partch), the song sounds exactly like the elegy it is, with Yorke's most pointed anti-war sentiments coming through the helpless last words of a veteran to a war that was thought would "end all wars."

The song has the feel of a weary ascension and reaches a grim, delicately furious peak at the midway point with a swell of strings that nearly overtakes the line "give your leaders a gun and let them each fight it it out," taking time to catch its breath before settling into the original melody.

While trying to guess whether this offers a hint toward Radiohead's next album is probably pointless, even as a one-off the song stands as a beautiful, achingly sad and cinematic warning for a good cause. And, chances are, it costs less than your morning coffee.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/index.php?a=496

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i wasn't big on this on the one listen i had.

i like the cover he put out recently better.

OrHowILearnedTo

couldn't find anything but a youtube link

tpfkabi

this sounds influenced by Portishead - Third and Neu (or krautrock re: the long steady beat).

i like it.

in The Believer interview Thom seems to suggest they have an interesting way to release music other than an album, but he didn't want to tell so no one else would do it first.

Stefen

Tom, how do you feel about them saying they don't want to release LP's anymore? I'm gutted.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

find The Believer article - it's not as bad as it sounds.

Thom said no albums, so the person asked about no more artwork/collaborations with S Donwood and he seemed to say there would be.

It seems like there will still be releases though - just have to wait and see what his idea is.

Neil

Hey, they put up a new song on their website for d/l
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Neil on August 17, 2009, 04:43:33 PM
Hey, they put up a new song on their website for d/l

You mean the one I posted seven posts above?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I think it's a different one. It's called These Are My Twisted Words and I don't think I like it very much.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

What stefen said accept about the part where he says he doesn't like it very much.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2009, 03:16:45 PM
What stefen said accept about the part where he says he doesn't like it very much.

yeah, Stefen definitely likes it.

I do too, accept I say "except"

Pozer

Stefen accepts it. i do too, tho i excepted to like it more.

socketlevel

i found it refreshing, i'm sick of computer beeps and bops or lame outdated rock.
the one last hit that spent you...

a.santi

i like it...a lot.

thought it was great to get the artwork and the pdf file too.