Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Find Your Magali

The fun thing is that years AFTER the movie comes out, we'll STILL be debating whether or not it's Vineland. PTA is abstract and mystical that way.  :)

SaunchSmilax

So many interesting choices presented by updating it to modern times. Is 24fps a celluloid collective or do they shoot on iphones now? is it still the People's Republic of Rock and Roll, or are they all Swifite-types (lol i hope not on that one). and The Tube!! How is the Tube presented with modern day flat screens on your wall, in your car, and in your pocket.

I'm so excited. We are so lucky!!
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

jviness02

I still am not convinced this is a faithful adaptation of Vineland. Why would WB give PTA $100 million dollars for a Pynchon adaptation after the last Pynchon adaptation he made for them made $14 million dollars worldwide?

Heisenberg

Quote from: jviness02 on January 31, 2024, 07:10:12 PMI still am not convinced this is a faithful adaptation of Vineland. Why would WB give PTA $100 million dollars for a Pynchon adaptation after the last Pynchon adaptation he made for them made $14 million dollars worldwide?

I've been saying this since day one. At best, this film is to Vineland what The Master is to V. No way WB gave him $100m for another straight Pynchon adaptation, even with Leo being involved. I think he was inspired by Vineland while writing this story and wanted to tell a modern day story with similar plot elements.

Mank1010

Quote from: jviness02 on January 31, 2024, 07:10:12 PMI still am not convinced this is a faithful adaptation of Vineland. Why would WB give PTA $100 million dollars for a Pynchon adaptation after the last Pynchon adaptation he made for them made $14 million dollars worldwide?

Here's the thing. If it's actually an original project, why is everything else lining up? Like, it's filming exactly where the novel takes place, Leo's mustache is exactly like Zoyd's in the book, his clothing makes sense and the character has a daughter who he has to look after.

If Paul wants to do some action adventure oriented thing, why the fuck would he would he go to Eureka, California of all places with Leo looking schlubby lol

SaunchSmilax

Because he's fuckin PTA dude...

SaunchSmilax

Zaslav is positioning himself and Warners to bring all the auteurs back in. Why do you think he's giving Tenet a re-release when Nolan's Universal-backed project is currently campaigning against his Warners-backed Barbie for the Oscars.

He's got Gunn running DC. He just signed TC (which by extension also means McQ). He's all but greenlit Messiah for Denis...I'm sorry, but how could they not greenlight it?

Plus Apple and Netflix greenlit even more expensive budgets for Scorsese. Zaslav's willing to risk losing money, to make money. It's really a no-brainer...

I'm quite aware I sound like a Warners PR schmuck, but they're the filmmaker's studio (yes they lost their way during mergers and pandemics) and Zaslav wants to get back to that.

Heisenberg

Quote from: SaunchSmilax on January 31, 2024, 04:45:19 PMSo many interesting choices presented by updating it to modern times. Is 24fps a celluloid collective or do they shoot on iphones now? is it still the People's Republic of Rock and Roll, or are they all Swifite-types (lol i hope not on that one). and The Tube!! How is the Tube presented with modern day flat screens on your wall, in your car, and in your pocket.

I'm so excited. We are so lucky!!

"The Tube" is probably youtube/twitch/tiktok in this stealth version of the story.

Find Your Magali

New PTA movie is to Vineland as...

1. Forbidden Planet is to The Tempest
2. Throne of Blood is to Macbeth
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou? is to The Odyssey
4. Adaptation is to The Orchid Thief
5. The Thing is to Who Goes There?

There are a thousand ways to do this.
PTA takes what he wants, reinvents some, and makes up some original stuff.

Vicko99

Quote from: Find Your Magali on January 31, 2024, 08:03:34 PMNew PTA movie is to Vineland as...

1. Forbidden Planet is to The Tempest
2. Throne of Blood is to Macbeth
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou? is to The Odyssey
4. Adaptation is to The Orchid Thief
5. The Thing is to Who Goes There?

There are a thousand ways to do this.
PTA takes what he wants, reinvents some, and makes up some original stuff.

...apocalypse now was the best example for this but ok

jviness02

Quote from: Mank1010 on January 31, 2024, 07:22:25 PM

Here's the thing. If it's actually an original project, why is everything else lining up? Like, it's filming exactly where the novel takes place, Leo's mustache is exactly like Zoyd's in the book, his clothing makes sense and the character has a daughter who he has to look after.

If Paul wants to do some action adventure oriented thing, why the fuck would he would he go to Eureka, California of all places with Leo looking schlubby lol

Hence why I said faithful adaptation. This is probably an OIL/THERE WILL BE BLOOD situation. Whatever he's turned it into is commercially appealing enough, along with Leo, to garner that budget.

Quote from: SaunchSmilax on January 31, 2024, 07:52:44 PM

Because he's fuckin PTA dude...

I wish movie studios thought like this. However, they do not. PTA has made nine films. Only four of them have garnered a profit. He's not exactly a great business decision. He's also not a household name to non-cinephiles. Giving him a $100 million dollar budget in the age of IP is strange. I'd have to imagine it's for something more commercial than a faithful Pynchon adaptation.

Quote from: SaunchSmilax on January 31, 2024, 07:54:18 PMZaslav is positioning himself and Warners to bring all the auteurs back in. Why do you think he's giving Tenet a re-release when Nolan's Universal-backed project is currently campaigning against his Warners-backed Barbie for the Oscars.

He's got Gunn running DC. He just signed TC (which by extension also means McQ). He's all but greenlit Messiah for Denis...I'm sorry, but how could they not greenlight it?

Plus Apple and Netflix greenlit even more expensive budgets for Scorsese. Zaslav's willing to risk losing money, to make money. It's really a no-brainer...

I'm quite aware I sound like a Warners PR schmuck, but they're the filmmaker's studio (yes they lost their way during mergers and pandemics) and Zaslav wants to get back to that.

I'll believe it when I see it. This is the same guy who's only reason for not axing TCM was because Scorsese, Spielberg and PTA were willing to pick up shifts there.

SaunchSmilax

You seem to be under the impression that the industry doesn't rate PTA as highly as we do...let me assure you they do...they very much do. This project's box office performance isn't the only consideration for them here...prestige, influence, awards, clout...those are also important, especially to Zaslav who has lost a lot of popularity.

$100 million is a lot sure but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what they spend on IP projects (we've also got to stop taking the $100 million rumor as gospel anyway, it could very well be that much because Paul/Leo are getting their money upfront just like Scorsese did with Killers).

As far as Zaslav/Warner...Dune is about to come out in 70mm Imax off the back of a Tenet re-release in the same format. You can not believe it if you wish, but you're defintely seeing it.

SaunchSmilax

Quote from: Heisenberg on January 31, 2024, 07:19:14 PM

I've been saying this since day one. At best, this film is to Vineland what The Master is to V. No way WB gave him $100m for another straight Pynchon adaptation, even with Leo being involved. I think he was inspired by Vineland while writing this story and wanted to tell a modern day story with similar plot elements.

At best?...At best it's Vineland set in contemporary times. The earth is not flat.

Vicko99

Quote from: SaunchSmilax on January 31, 2024, 10:51:40 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on January 31, 2024, 07:19:14 PM

At best?...At best it's Vineland set in contemporary times. The earth is not flat.

also the master/V comparison to this is completely ridiculous lmao

the only thing this doesn't have in common with Vineland is the period setting, everything is literally the same lol (so far)

SaunchSmilax

Yeah The Master/V. comparison makes no sense. Might as well compare Gravity's Rainbow to Magnolia.