The Dark Knight Rises

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:56 AM

MacGuffin

Rumor of the day: Heath Ledger's Joker to cameo in Batman 3
Source: SyFy

Heath Ledger's Joker to return in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises? That's the rumor going around today, and while we're skeptical about it, we're also definitely intrigued.

According to ShowbizSpy, "sources" have confirmed that Christopher Nolan plans to use unseen footage from Ledger's incredible Oscar-winning performance as the deranged Joker from The Dark Knight in his upcoming third Batman film. Ledger's appearance in the movie would simply be a cameo, since the actor passed away from an accidental overdose in 2008 at the age of 28.

A "movie insider" apparently said:

"The idea is to use these fragments of cut scenes and use CGI to have The Joker appear one last time.
"Chris wants some continuity between movies and for the franchise to pay tribute to Heath and his portrayal of the Joker.

"It would only be a fleeting moment in the movie and would only be included with the full consent of Heath's family."

Is there any truth to this story? Possibly, but please take it with a grain (or mountain) of salt until we hear it from Nolan himself.

The Dark Knight Rises is currently in preproduction and is set to be released in theaters on July 20, 2012.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Nolan and his wife/producing partner Emma Thomas both swatted down the rumor to Heat Vision in a chat last night.

"I heard the rumor," said Thomas. "We're not doing that."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Christopher Nolan responds to those Heath Ledger/Batman 3 rumors

The rumors of Heath Ledger's death were not exaggerated, but the rumors of his upcoming appearance in the next Batman movie are. Writer and director Christopher Nolan has denied the late actor will have a cameo.

IndieWire reports that Nolan spoke to them to:

shoot down reports that he'll resurrect The Joker by including unused footage of Heath Ledger's performance in the previous chapter. "That's all wrong," said the writer-director, who's also producing the next Superman movie, for Zack Snyder to direct.

Nolan did mention that Tom Hardy—one of the supporting characters in his previous venture, Inception—will have an important role in The Dark Knight Rises, but he would not confirm whether Hardy's character was a hero or a villain. He plans to finish the script by January.

Fans of Ledger can take comfort in knowing that his performance of the Joker was too strong to settle for a mere cameo.

---------------------------------------------------------

Christopher Nolan confirms 3rd Batman will be his last

With Christopher Nolan having just confirmed that The Dark Knight Rises would be his last Batman film—calling it "the last chapter of our Batman saga"—and with Christian Bale recently saying that it would also be his last outing as the caped hero, we're left to wonder: Could it truly be the end of the big-screen Batman franchise?

In an interview with EW, Nolan all but confirmed that the intrepid duo's collaboration on one of the most successful comic-book franchises of all time will end with the third Batman film. However, in the wake of the success of Inception, the director is still very much happy to be working on his last Batman outing:

"I feel very glad that I'm doing another Batman film. I think it would have been daunting to sit down and write an original script after Inception. I love working within the realm and rules of our Batman world. It's kind of nice to have someplace to go that I'm super-excited about.

"I must say that I'm glad—I'm very, very glad—to be embarking on the last chapter of our Batman saga without any sense of obligation or duty to the studio. They did very well with Inception. So I'm able to go into finishing our story in a very enthusiastic way."

With a worldwide box office of almost $372 million for Batman Begins and over $1 billion for The Dark Knight, surely Warner Brothers won't want to let the franchise end with The Dark Knight Rises, so we've got to assume they'll likely go the reboot or sequel road with an all-new cast and crew.

But with Nolan and Bale out of the equation, the studio will have hard shoes to fill. Unless, of course, they make both men offers they can't possibly refuse for them to return for a fourth film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Eckhart Confirms No Two-Face in The Dark Knight Rises
Source: MTV

Aaron Eckhart confirmed once and for all to MTV that Harvey Dent/Two-Face will not be appearing in The Dark Knight Rises, which he says "is going to blow everybody away."

"Chris and I had a meeting, on the beach, just the two of us," Eckhart said. "I said, 'Chris, a lot of people are asking me if I'm in the next 'Batman.' And Chris said, 'Yes?' I said, 'Am I?' He looked at me and he said, 'No.'" He added that he wasn't joking about the beach part and said that they "found ourselves alone on the beach together on a stormy day and he delivered the news to me. I was heartbroken. But Chris has his reasons and my life must go on... Honestly, it was Heath's movie to go on. We had a great movie. I'm so honored to be a part of that movie."

That sounds like the most hilarious meeting ever.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

What that article fails to mention is that Eckhart was wearing a Catwoman costume at the time.

Gloria

I'm starting to go through Batman withdrawal -- I'm getting the shakes.  I need this movie (preferably with a decent female character). 

However, surprisingly, I am not overly familiar with the Hugo Strange character and stroyline in Prey.  I am, however, still familiar with shark-repellent-bat-spray.  But I don't think Nolan will include that.

modage

'Dark Knight Rises': Anne Hathaway will be Catwoman, Tom Hardy is Bane
Source: LA Times

This just in, a press release from Warner Bros..

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises." She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Christopher Nolan stated, "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story."

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, "I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman's most formidable enemies." Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. "The Dark Knight Rises" is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

polkablues

I like Hathaway, but that's a major miscast.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I like her a lot too so I'm just hoping Nolan knows what he's doing.  I was a big doubter for Ledger and that turned out amazing so I'm just trying to picture Rachel Getting Married instead of Bride Wars.  I think she can do it....

I'm more shocked by Tom Hardy playing Bane.  Didn't even consider that weird character would be making a 2nd appearance onscreen.  But again, I'm sure whatever Nolan's interpretation is will be interesting.

RegularKarate

Bane and Catwoman is crazy to me.

I don't trust Nolan very much with female characters and Bane is a batshit choice unless they're planning on breaking Batman's back to avoid further sequels in this universe.

Pozer

reallyreally wanted the hoff-man to be involved. this is just boring. 

Derek

Hathaway is an alright actress, but total butterface (just like Gyllenhall). She has the same droopy eye syndrome as Katie and Maggie. Thought Catwoman was supposed to be sexy.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Stefen

Meh. But I trust Nolan.

And go to hell, Derek! Anne Hathaway is hotter than a thermometer in the suns ass!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on January 19, 2011, 05:25:05 PM
Meh. But I trust Nolan.

And go to hell, Derek! Anne Hathaway is hotter than a thermometer in the suns ass!

She's super pretty, but it's a theater-nerd brand of pretty.  She's about as sexy as a puppy.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gloria

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 19, 2011, 12:34:13 PM
I don't trust Nolan very much with female characters and Bane is a batshit choice unless they're planning on breaking Batman's back to avoid further sequels in this universe.

Knightfall would be fun to do -- but that would be one mighty long movie!

I don't think Anne Hathaway is a bad choice.  I was skeptical about Heath Ledger as Joker way back when he was cast, so I don't have a great track record with predicting casting.  I just hope he doesn't short-change my favorite Batman character.  After the atrocious "movie" that Halle Berry starred in, this character needs serious redemption!