he isn't that bad. his movies are

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold Trumpethe isn't that bad. his movies are

~rougerum

(as Pubrick might say)

Shortest GT post ever.

soixante

It is possible to be disappointed by a film and still put it on your top ten.  I was expecting Gangs of New York to be better, but even with its many problems, it is still better than most films.  The acting was great (especially Day-Lewis).  I guess the point is, Scorsese on an off day is still better than most directors.

My college experience in the 80's was very similar to Rules of Attraction.  It seemed like everyone I knew was doing lots of drugs and fucking anything that moves, and sometimes showing up for midterms.  I also enjoyed the ensemble of actors that Avary used.  I also enjoyed the fact that I couldn't tell where the story was heading at any given point -- it had a fresh, unpredictable feeling to it, unlike most movies.

Changing Lanes was a piece of shit.  I hate movies in which the main character can't make up his fucking mind about anything.  I thought the whole escalating feud between Affleck and Jackson was absurd.  The ending was like a bad TV commercial.  There was a final shot of Jackson, gazing at something across the street.  I thought to myself, don't tell me it's his wife and kid.  Yup, it was.  Plus, I don't buy Affleck's character -- one moment, he's destroying Jackson's life, then he has second thoughts, then he does something bad again.  I can't believe Michael Tolkin, who wrote The Player, wrote this idiotic script.  Plus, Affleck's character discovers half-way through the movie that the firm he works for is really corrupt -- wasn't that done in The Firm?
Music is your best entertainment value.

Gold Trumpet

that review makes me like changing lanes even more

~rougerum

Pwaybloe

I hate doing Top Ten's, but I think if I made one, "Changing Lanes" would be somewhere in that list for the year.  

The best thing it had going for it was its theatrical quality to it, and I'm sure that was no mistake since Tolkin was an ex-playwright.  The dialogue was very Mamet-like, which is always a huge plus for me.  

One thing I was wanting the movie to do was go further.  I mean, I wanted these two guys to go at it brutally.  Fight, stab, shoot, anything.  The two characters had a lot of built-up rage that I felt never got out by the end of the movie.  I wanted to see them just snap.  Other than that, the movie was better than I expected.

oakmanc234

MY TOP 10:

1. Gangs of New York
2. Punch-Drunk Love
3. LOTR:The Two Towers
4. Catch Me If You Can
5. Road to Perdition
6. About Schmidt
7. 8 Mile
8. Minority Report
9. Red Dragon
10.Signs

I haven't seen-
The Pianist
Adaptation
One Hour Photo
The 25th Hour
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

CollinBullock

1.  Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.

2.  About Schmidt

3.  The Good Girl.

4.  Spirited Away.

5.  The Hours.

6.  Solaris

7.  Punch Drunk Love.

8.  Bowling For Columbine.

9.  Thirteen Conversation About One Things.

10. The Rules Of Attraction.

Some movies I didn't dig so much:  Storytelling, Gangs Of New York,  Moonlight Mile, a bunch of other crap I don't wanna try and remember.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

dufresne

just got here, so here goes...

10) Adaptation
09) Signs
08) Narc
07) Road to Perdition
06) Punch-Drunk Love
05) 25th Hour
04) Y Tu Mama Tambien
03) Lord of the Rings ­ The Two Towers
02) The Pianist
01) City of God
There are shadows in life, baby.

budgie

The 25th Hour
Spider
Far From Heaven
The Good Girl
Adaptation
Punch-Drunk Love
Lost In La Mancha
Bowling For Columbine
Catch Me If You Can
Spider-Man

so far

bonanzataz

Quote from: budgieso far

2002's over, budge.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

budgie

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: budgieso far

2002's over, budge.

Not in my world.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

I don't do top tens anymore. Just best of lists of however many great movies there were for the year in alphabetical order. Here is 2002's....

25th hour
catch me if you can
cherish
confessions of a dangerous mind
the good girl
the kid stays in the picture
minority report
punch-drunk love
signs

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzataz2002's over

I'm still living in the 80's.  :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

minority report is cuely neglected on theese lists.