77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

Finn

I'm starting to think Marty will NEVER get an Oscar. They must hate the man. Maybe they'll give him a lifetime achievement award as he gets older. But I was very happy with Million Dollar Baby winning for best picture and best actress.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Small Town LonerI'm starting to think Marty will NEVER get an Oscar. They must hate the man. Maybe they'll give him a lifetime achievement award as he gets older.

They'll give him the lifetime achievement Oscar, but he'll die the day before.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaihmm, i wonder why charlie kaufman is in such a bad mood?
the awkwardness of the setting, the stupidity of the question, the fakeness of the whole thing.

Quote from: NEON MERCURYthat chick from maria full of grace is gorgeoussssssssssssssssss
hell yeah that chick is stunning. amazing. next time i see her i will try to remember her name, until then she will be known as Maria Full of Hot.

Quote from: planet_jakeTitanic won 12 Oscars
uh, that never happened.

Quote from: ono mo cuishleFreeman wasn't that great in MDB.  He was good, but he didn't really prove, there, he could act.
maybe he wanted to fit into the unimpressive style of the movie. a feature u praised in the previous sentence.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI haven't been this cynical about the Oscars since Gladiator's year. Wasn't last year a little better?
haha absolutely not.

boring actor award forgotten a year later:
last year: theron
this year: foxx

and in every other category Jackson's overhaul of awards was replaced with a lackluster PITY ceremony. they are both equally ilegitimate. unless ur incomprehensible hatred for blanchett makes u think zelwegger-no-eyes was more deserving for the same award last year.

Quote from: themodernage02is it?  ...  he's no longer anybodys secret or the underdog or the outsider, he is accepted and awarded and thats just bizarre to me. :saywhat:
that depends.. do u think OutKast hav gotten better/worse since they became universally accepted?

the correct answer is: OutKast are brilliant no matter who listens to them.

Quote from: RegularKarate(borrowing Guff's work)
Predictable...
Boo...
psch... the most obvious of them all.
i agree. maybe this is connected to recce's question, the real big stars are just waiting for their pity-years to come before they make an appearance. and as usual it's always the less popular awards which ring true emotionally, brad bird, the short film categories, foreign film (awesome).

the awards hav steadily gone to shit since shakespeare in love, with fluctuations occurring now and then depending on what category u want to pay attention to. least reliable (and most predictable) has become the acting awards.. crowe, robberts, washington, paltrow, theron, foxx, berry, kidman all hav wrongly won in recent years.

cool
-the next four presenters: "penelope cruz and salma hayek", haha, at least two of them were good (the latter).
-maria full of HOT

lame
-sean penn making an ass out of himself
-too many black jokes
-oprah throwing her fist in the air while Foxx gave his speech was hilarious
-marty getting his hopes crushed. sickening.

overall, fuck a quarter of tonite's show.. which in fact was better than it has been in years, and that's not saying much.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrickhell yeah that chick is stunning. amazing. next time i see her i will try to remember her name, until then she will be known as Maria Full of Hot.

Her name is Catalina Sandino Moreno and last night, my nickname for her was Maria Please Sit On My Face.  

Between her and Aishwarya Rai from Bride and Prejudice, I might have to go back to church.

Gamblour.

Wow, that Charlie Kaufman interview....man what a stupid fucking question.
WWPTAD?

mogwai

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarWow, that Charlie Kaufman interview....man what a stupid fucking question.
i couldn't hear the question, what did she/he say?

Gamblour.

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarWow, that Charlie Kaufman interview....man what a stupid fucking question.
i couldn't hear the question, what did she/he say?

Something like: "The difference between the screenplay and the finished movie was so drastic...blah, blah....would you want to have credit as the editor?" I swear to god, it was that dumb. It made no fucking sense, like some housewife who had never seen a movie made up the question.

Also, did someone watch the Payne/Taylor backstage video? He mentions two Italian movies, one is Big Deal on Madonna Street, and I forgot the other one. Help a guy out.

I love how the press went "Huh" when Payne said moribund, I think the press are dumber than the academy.
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarAlso, did someone watch the Payne/Taylor backstage video? He mentions two Italian movies, one is Big Deal on Madonna Street, and I forgot the other one. Help a guy out.
i haven't seen any of the videos but from what i've read, i'm going to guess The Easy Life.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI liked Million Dollar Baby maybe the least of anyone, but I'm happy it won. Any other film winning wouldn't have changed a thing. Eastwood is still respectable in my eyes.
GT: you officially make no sense at all.  Considering your bashing of MDB (pre and post-viewing) in its thread, how could you even type those words?

Because Eastwood's gratitude seemed sincere.

grand theft sparrow

I didn't see him do this last night but I remember saying, after whatever joke Chris Rock made about him, that Tim Robbins was going to come out and say, "Go fuck yourself, Chris.  The nominees for Best Supporting Actress are..."

I wasn't far off.

MacGuffin

Second-Class Treatment for Some Oscar Winners?

Producer Gil Cates' attempt to streamline Oscar tradition -- by having some nominees march out onstage before the winner was announced and asking other nominees to accept their awards from roving presenters in the audience -- met with mixed approval Sunday.

While host Chris Rock joked, "Next year, they're going to give out Oscars in the parking lot. There will be a drive-through Oscar lane," others, particularly those in the crafts area, were not amused.

Observed Visual Effects Society president Eric Roth, "It clearly looked like a second-class procedure for giving out certain awards. It would have been, I think, more acceptable if they had chosen awards from all different types of categories including quote A-List unquote categories like best actor or actress or director to receive their awards onstage."

Motion Picture Sound Editors president David Bondelevitch appeared to give Cates the benefit of the doubt. "He has my sympathy," he said. "However, when you only do this type of presentation for some awards, and you only do it for the awards that are considered "technical" categories, you're pretty much segregating them and that marginalizing their contributions. If they did it with an acting award, I would have had no problem with it. It seemed odd that some of the people didn't even go onstage (instead they were given awards in their seats)."

He added, "I did appreciate Chris Rock's comment that next year they'll be giving drive-through awards -- it marginalizes those categories, and the Oscars are about recognizing the art and craft that these people have contributed to the movie."

On the other hand, at least one Oscar winner, Valli O'Reilly, who was honored for the makeup for "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events," said of receiving her award in the middle of the auditorium: "It was actually easier. I was wondering if we won how I would go to the stage (in this dress and shoes). I'm a flip-flop kind of girl."

But fellow "Snicket" makeup artist Bill Corso said of the nominees who were led onstage like a "Chorus Line" lineup: "It looked like a beauty pageant. Sometimes, the old-fashioned way is the best."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarAlso, did someone watch the Payne/Taylor backstage video? He mentions two Italian movies, one is Big Deal on Madonna Street, and I forgot the other one. Help a guy out.
i haven't seen any of the videos but from what i've read, i'm going to guess The Easy Life.

Yes, that was it, thank you.
WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: StefenMoarty was robbed! Clint had Swank, Freeman and himself. he shouldnt win shit. But mdb was fantastic, but damn, Marty deserved it, Avitator was alot harder to direct than mdb.

ha!  i know this is old news but the day that i found out that the academy doesnt give the award to the deserving director who helms a more ambitous peice of art was when ron howard received the award for 'directing' a beautiful mind over lynch for mulholland dr.   i mean, come the fuck on!  the absudity of this is laughable.  5-10 years from now what are peole going to think about a beautriful mind? its going to be forgotten and pilled up aslongside other good but nothing astounding films -there are many.  ... while on the other hand mulhnd dr. will always be remember for its imagery, sounds, satire, exlporation , degradation, naomi watts mastubation, and for inspiring other people to make films and or/appreciate that FILM IS ART.....that deserves a directing award........not:

alright, russell, now hold her hand up and do a make beleive constellation waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there in the sky :roll:

marty, like lynch, kubrick, malick,altman, hitchcock, et al are too good to win oscars.

rustinglass

I didn't see the show.. what was the tim robbins joke?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica