77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

cine

Quote from: ono mo cuishleHere's the thing about Eternal Sunshine.  Kaufman is a great writer.  We all know that.  However, both Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. suffered greatly in the third act.  Still, people embraced them, especially outside the mainstream.
the genius is that it becomes Donald's movie --but that can be discussed further in the Adaptation thread (that new forum needs some attention as it is).

Myxo

Surprises
- I was a little shocked that the Aviator didn't win Best Picture after Eastwood took director. Although I said shortly after Million Dollar Baby was released that it was and still is the best picture of the year.
- Didn't like Morgan Freeman for supporting actor. Thomas Haden Church deserved that award.

Cool
- Clint Eastwood's humility and for many more years of his great films
- Chris Rock is great. We need more of his biting comedy to offset Crystal's safe, audience friendly humor.
- I loved the Chris Rock theater interviews with black America vs. white America. Too funny..

Lame
- Swank's rags to riches speech
- House of Flying Daggers deserved Best Foreign Film but they didn't submit the film in time.
- I'm glad that Jamie Foxx won for Best Actor, but it was incredibly predictable.
- Cutting to reactions from Dustin Hoffman about a million times.
- Where was Jack Nicholson's crazy evil smile for America?
- What the fuck was up with Beyonce doing 3 performances? They couldn't get anybody more talented?

Thoughts
- Ever notice that the screenplay winners are always artsy fartsy films with a huge draw for film fanatics but usually bring in average/poor the box office receipts? These categories are for the auteur in American cinema.
- I haven't seen Finding Neverland but it's now the next thing I'll go out and see this week.

cine

ok with 2LB's "maybe i just hate date movies" and JB's "maybe i dont like katherine hepburn".. i will now pose the new moral around here:

YES, IT'S JUST YOU!

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: Cinephileok with 2LB's "maybe i just hate date movies" and JB's "maybe i dont like katherine hepburn".. i will now pose the new moral around here:

YES, IT'S JUST YOU!

Oh, damn.  I thought I was being too grouchy and deleted the post.  But I do hate date movies.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenDamn, this years show is completely niggafied. Awesome.

Chris Rock's interviews at the Magic Johnson theater explained why Diary Of A Mad Black Woman was #1 at the BO with $22.7 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: StefenDamn, this years show is completely niggafied. Awesome.

Chris Rock's interviews at the Magic Johnson theater explained why Diary Of A Mad Black Woman was #1 at the BO with $22.7 million.

God, no kidding.

However, we're all a target market, aren't we?

cine

boy theres more black people in the world than i thought

Gold Trumpet

The only thing I cared about is that for the main categories, all my predictions but one were accurate. I liked Million Dollar Baby maybe the least of anyone, but I'm happy it won. Any other film winning wouldn't have changed a thing. Eastwood is still respectable in my eyes.

What I can't understand is all the complaining; for the Oscars and Xixax awards. The way these results can lead people to feeling justified their film is great because it won or that everyone who voted is dumb because theirs did not. Responces like these seem to draw out even worst responces when someone feels like they have to "correct" what they said, to put it nicely. It becomes a game of who can just out draw the other in slamming opinions. Discussion's just fucking null.

cine

yeah, here at xixax people are voting their favourites... so why was their bitching cause people were voting for what they liked best? thats how the cookie crumbles, guys.

at the oscars, the voters typically vote and honour what might be deserved.. case in point, sofia coppola won for best writing.. she could've won a lot more but the academy felt they had to award her with SOMETHING.. thats what happened tonight with payne too. and the oscars have ALWAYS been this way so a lot of people are complaining like this is the first year they've awarded films and actors like this. nothings a surprise this year.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02for charlie kaufman to have an oscar seems incredibly bizarre.  like, he is the 'outsider' and he has just been accepted by the establishment.  very very weird.

But, he won for writing... Doesn't that not count as it stands as the one award the Academy gives to more critically accepted films? But, hey, now that he has it, he definitely can't just put it up on a mantle. He has to do something weird. His main influence may be the late rebel Bing Crosby who used the Oscar he won for "Going My Way" as a door stop.

mogwai

"mogwai puts an end to hilary swank's 'rags to riches' career"

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI liked Million Dollar Baby maybe the least of anyone, but I'm happy it won. Any other film winning wouldn't have changed a thing. Eastwood is still respectable in my eyes.
GT: you officially make no sense at all.  Considering your bashing of MDB (pre and post-viewing) in its thread, how could you even type those words?

Sleepless

Has anybody got a copy of the ceremony of video I could buy of you? PM me please if you can help!! Thanks!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

i have to admit, i pumped my fist when Charlie Kaufman won.
now maybe they'll give him and Spike Jonze more money to make the most effed up horror film ever.

i would have been satisfied if Scorsese won. i haven't even seen the Aviator or MDB, but i was watching a Robert Redford bio yesterday and saw that Redford won for his first directed film over Marty. i'm guessing Raging Bull was Marty's entry (someone correct me if i'm wrong).
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.